Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undergroundgraphics.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone have the part # handy for the upgraded rack and tie rod assembly mentioned which is used on the WT and Braptors?

I want one too, ...these are gonn be selling very well i'm sure.
Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, Iā€™ll take a shot at this.

BSME ā€˜73, with one semester of metallurgy, way back when. Did a study and paper on a crankshaft fatigue failure.

Opinion (and feel free to disagree ): The ā€œdark areaā€ of the failure appears to exhibit ā€beach marksā€, typical of a fatigue failure. It appears that it has been failing for some time now, otherwise it would be shiny. The bright grainy area was the ultimate separation/failure. The bend kind of contradicts the fatigue failure theory, unless it was bent initially, either new or very early on. Looking at my tie rods, they are fairly well protected. You would have to try really hard to bend them on a lift. The bend does seem to correspond to position of the fatigue failure however.

After being bent, it is not a straight ā€œcolumnā€ anymore and the connection at the nut is in a bending/flexing mode every time the steering is turned. This cyclical bending may have caused the fatigue cracking and led to the ultimate failure.

it would be interesting to ā€œlookā€ (microscopically) at the grain structure in the area that appears to be fatigued. Not sure I would remember what to look for however!

survivormanca

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip do you know how we can order the upgraded rack and what the estimated labor cost is for the swap?

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, Iā€™ll take a shot at this.

BSME ā€˜73, with one semester of metallurgy, way back when. Did a study and paper on a crankshaft fatigue failure.

Opinion (and feel free to disagree ): The ā€œdark areaā€ of the failure appears to exhibit ā€beach marksā€, typical of a fatigue failure. It appears that it has been failing for some time now, otherwise it would be shiny. The bright grainy area was the ultimate separation/failure. The bend kind of contradicts the fatigue failure theory, unless it was bent initially, either new or very early on. Looking at my tie rods, they are fairly well protected. You would have to try really hard to bend them on a lift. The bend does seem to correspond to position of the fatigue failure however.

After being bent, it is not a straight ā€œcolumnā€ anymore and the connection at the nut is in a bending/flexing mode every time the steering is turned. This cyclical bending may have caused the fatigue cracking and led to the ultimate failure.

it would be interesting to ā€œlookā€ (microscopically) at the grain structure in the area that appears to be fatigued. Not sure I would remember what to look for however!
wow you sound like you know your stuff!!

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). Iā€™m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier Iā€™m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? Iā€™m not sure but I am sure that Iā€™m telling the truth.

I get where youā€™re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise Iā€™m telling you everything that Iā€™ve done!!
You mentioned the Bronco was in service due to recall with no off-roading.That damage could be due to lift at the dealer. A tech may have caused enough damage to weaken the rod to its conclusion. If it was a weak metal break that is an easy investigation because a fabrication review of the break can show if it was a manufacturing issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Draughon

Badlands
First Name
Daylon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 4-Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). Iā€™m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

Might be the photo angle, but the area that snapped on the tie-rod has a light and dark side to it - that implies that perhaps there was a flaw in the rod itself that allowed it to snap?

Might be talking out of my ass, but I watch a lot of Forged in Fire, so clearly I'm a metallurgy expert. Looks like a cold shut caused the snap - otherwise the break would be all the lighter color.

pjstans

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone think this is unusual? This seems to be rather frequent for something that should be able to take a reasonable amount of off road punishment..I get the extreme cases but this just seems to be a frequent occurrence

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone think this is unusual? This seems to be rather frequent for something that should be able to take a reasonable amount of off road punishment..I get the extreme cases but this just seems to be a frequent occurrence
From what Iā€™ve read itā€™s mostly occurring off-road. i can understand the tie rods snapping under extreme stress but this is just crazy. Thankfully this case is the only one Iā€™ve heard of so hopefully itā€™s just a fluke!

Sponsored

Giddyup Buttercup

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tie Rod support sleeves make more and more sense.

I've been scared away from these by the "it will transfer force something even more costly to replace" voices. I may go ahead and get them put on.

HOW can these break on a driveway even in 4X4??
Just turning around should not have chewed the "grass" up.

STLDAVE

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If they tied it down then the bend would be up... not down like in the pic....
The bend in the rod seems to indicate the rod was pulled up, not down. This is opposite from what a tie down bend would look like. However, a bend would shorten the effective length of the tie-rod, causing a toe in condition for that wheel. If the toe was reset to factory specs, the rod would have been rotated to make the adjustment which could account for what appears to be an upward bend. Was someone too dumb to realize the rod shouldn't be bent? OR maybe trying to cover up their f--- up?

Just throwing that out there...

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just turning around should not have chewed the "grass" up.
the grass (itā€™s more like clover ground cover) was wet and the cover on the ground is really thin and delicate and sometimes it gets all chewed up just from me riding my bike through. Usually when I turn in place in the alley way the grass gets destroyed and looks like that!

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If they tied it down then the bend would be up... not down like in the pic....
I think it is more up and back. The ball end would be more indicative. Like this
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 1659729397534
Sponsored