First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Badlands is a 44K vehicle. At 60K you’re picking every single option Ford offers to hit 60K. I guess I don’t understand the sticker shock for a fully loaded 4X4 vehicle in 2020. But Toyota makes damn good cars so it’s your money! It’s a lot of it too to be hesitant.
Sponsored

RMKRubicon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '95 YJ. Former: '08 JKR, '99 LC100,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're spec'ing out a top-of-the-line off-roader (Badlands) that comes standard with a removable top and removable doors. You're also stating that your off-roading will be 5% of the use, and unless you're traveling somewhere far, the north Texas off-roading doesn't really required Badlands (or TRD, for that matter) equipment. You also state that you won't take the doors or top off.

I think you identified the issue and solved the problem in your own post: A $60k off-road oriented convertible isn't what you need, isn't what you want, and isn't what you want to pay for.

Get a Bronco sport, put some aggressive looking AT tires on it, and call it a day. It'll be up to task when you want to scratch the off-roading itch, but it'll also be much more comfortable (and affordable) for daily use.

I've had a '99 Land Cruiser 100 and spent a lot of time recently driving a late-model 4Runner Limited. The LC100 was great, even 20 years old. The 4Runner was solid, but both vehicles were getting a little old and dated. I also used to own an FJ Cruiser and a '95 4Runner. You can't beat Toyota reliability. But I also fully embrace the new technology on the Bronco and look forward to the turbo engines. I almost bought a new 4Runner two years ago but the bones (engine and transmission) are so outdated (reliable, but outdated) that I couldn't justify the $45-$50K.

In addition to my '12 F-150 for road trips or winter, I daily drive a '95 Jeep YJ in the summer. I take the doors and windows off in June and put them back on in September. I keep the top (safari top style) on because the sun will burn you and the little top will keep just enough rain off you to get home in a storm.

Maybe the Bronco will turn out to be like any of the Wranglers I've owned; a great "townie" and off-roader, but not something for long road trips or extreme comfort.

I plan on buying a 2-door BL and keeping it for a long time. My '95 YJ still only has 88k miles.

But if I didn't have my F150 or couldn't have two vehicles, I would consider the Bronco Sport for a nice balance of comfort and off-road prowess. I also used to own JK Rubicons (had a 4-door and 2-door). I off-road quite a bit and only used the lockers occasionally. Ground clearance and tire tread are more important than lockers if you can't have both.

Summary: Get yourself a Bronco Sport, you won't use the Badlands' features enough to justify the higher price.

Builtdadbodtough

Big Bend
First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wtf.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Most buyers purchase the wrangler and bronco for the removable roof/doors and the looks. That's it.

Though the 4runner might be as capable its not really comparable.

and the rav4 sure as shit isn't as capable... anyone who believes this does not understand suspension.
It’s got an awesome hybrid though! ?

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love the mix of Bronco heritage and modern technology the 6th gen Bronco is bringing to market. But after seeing the survey pricing, like many of you, I have started to reevaluate my Bronco purchase, this thread helped to put things into perspective.
Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use
My use will be 95% daily driver and 5% off-the-beaten-track trail riding, which will be the most serious off-roading I will ever do, further, I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that. Based on the survey pricing, which still did not include a number of the options I wanted, along with a bunch of accessories, my Bronco Badlands quickly headed towards $60K.

I'm concerned Ford thinks they can quickly cash-in on the Bronco hype and popularity with proud pricing, like the Jeep. Although unlikely, some Ford market analysis are concerned about a Ford bankruptcy. Is Ford so worried about their financial condition that Ford is going to end up doing what every Wall Street driven company has to do to survive, show immediate quarterly results vs more long term growth prospects? Is Ford trying to get whole all at once with Bronco pricing to alleviate these concerns?

After reading some insightful posts from @Paint and @aabsalon discussing their Bronco Backup Plans (below), I have revisited my backup plans as well, they are:
1) 2022 6th gen 4Runner $TBD
2) 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro $50K
3) RAV4 TRD Off-Road $40K
4) Bronco Sport Badlands $40K
As you can see, these are all hardtops, which will help to improve the ride quality, when one does not need the removable roof and doors.

While I'm hopeful the Bronco will still work out, here are the posts from the Badlands Bronco Thread that I found insightful.

And last, a few details on the upcoming 6th gen Toyota 4Runner, which will be out in 2022, the same time as some of the 2021 Bronco's will be getting delivered.
I wouldn't even buy a 2022 4Runner. Why bother? The 2021 will have all the main things I want, and significantly cheaper than the trims of Bronco I'd buy. AND they won't have the badass versions the first couple of years. Buy a 2021 Pro at a discount when the 2022's are hitting the lots.

Unless they drop some awesome shit for the 2022 anyway LOL.

Who am I kidding...They'll change the taillights, the steering wheel, neuter the motor, and call it a 6th Gen.

4Runners are boring AF. But they do.not.break. They're fantastic daily drivers. They're plenty capable off-road for anything I'd be doing. Their resale is the stuff dreams are made of.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you don’t want a convertible, then I wouldn’t get a Bronco.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure where the sticker shock is coming from. If people thought Ford was going to get them into a "Rubicon-like" rig for 20k, they were clueless from jump street. Go shop for comparably equipped Wranglers and Ford is right in line.

I think people were just hoping they could "hack" their way to Badlands trim with an optioned BB or BD for a fraction of the price.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're spec'ing out a top-of-the-line off-roader (Badlands) that comes standard with a removable top and removable doors. You're also stating that your off-roading will be 5% of the use, and unless you're traveling somewhere far, the north Texas off-roading doesn't really required Badlands (or TRD, for that matter) equipment. You also state that you won't take the doors or top off.

I think you identified the issue and solved the problem in your own post: A $60k off-road oriented convertible isn't what you need, isn't what you want, and isn't what you want to pay for.

Get a Bronco sport, put some aggressive looking AT tires on it, and call it a day. It'll be up to task when you want to scratch the off-roading itch, but it'll also be much more comfortable (and affordable) for daily use.

I've had a '99 Land Cruiser 100 and spent a lot of time recently driving a late-model 4Runner Limited. The LC100 was great, even 20 years old. The 4Runner was solid, but both vehicles were getting a little old and dated. I also used to own an FJ Cruiser and a '95 4Runner. You can't beat Toyota reliability. But I also fully embrace the new technology on the Bronco and look forward to the turbo engines. I almost bought a new 4Runner two years ago but the bones (engine and transmission) are so outdated (reliable, but outdated) that I couldn't justify the $45-$50K.

In addition to my '12 F-150 for road trips or winter, I daily drive a '95 Jeep YJ in the summer. I take the doors and windows off in June and put them back on in September. I keep the top (safari top style) on because the sun will burn you and the little top will keep just enough rain off you to get home in a storm.

Maybe the Bronco will turn out to be like any of the Wranglers I've owned; a great "townie" and off-roader, but not something for long road trips or extreme comfort.

I plan on buying a 2-door BL and keeping it for a long time. My '95 YJ still only has 88k miles.

But if I didn't have my F150 or couldn't have two vehicles, I would consider the Bronco Sport for a nice balance of comfort and off-road prowess. I also used to own JK Rubicons (had a 4-door and 2-door). I off-road quite a bit and only used the lockers occasionally. Ground clearance and tire tread are more important than lockers if you can't have both.

Summary: Get yourself a Bronco Sport, you won't use the Badlands' features enough to justify the higher price.
This is why the base, big bend and black diamond exist. The base is for those who want the cheapest 4X4 vehicle they can get without comfort. The BB adds comfort to it, the black diamond is the enthusiast 4X4 and the OB is for those who want a shiny Bronco with a lot of tech.

I’m getting either a BB or an OB for my wife and it’ll probably never see a trail in its life. It’ll go off road a little but nothing crazy and it’ll be around or under 40K. I find that perfectly reasonable, we’re buying it for looks, its what the wife wants.

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Buy a bronco, drive for five years, then buy a toyota. It will still be exactly the same. And for people who say toyotas never break, I've been watching winder towing youtube videos from st. george Utah. The only vehicle that broke was a toyota. He had to go weld a spacer onto a wheel as the suspension was so bent the wheel wouldn't turn. User error, but still...

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I was just in a Yota dealer yesterday and they wanted $46K for a SR5 4Runner.... to me that is insane priced. My 4R TRD Off Road was $34K brand new so seems that Toyota is also raising their prices as all car manufactures are unfortunately. So I have a feeling the TRD Pro will be more than the bronco will be

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't think the pricing is out of line at all. I'm wondering when the last time y'all went to a dealership and walked around. Trucks going for over $60K. Run of the mill soccer mom SUVs over $40K. I could go buy a $45K Toyota Tacoma that comes with drum brakes.

The Bronco isn't just another soccer mom SUV. It is a purpose built vehicle that people will be willing to pay for if it delivers what it promises. I haven't owned a Ford in almost 30 years, but I have owned a lot of off road vehicles. I'm willing to gamble the Bronco delivers.

To add another thought to my above post. I am getting a 2 door and plan to delete the rear seats. For me, this is a purpose built vehicle for 2. I don't see anything else on the market that really competes with it other than a Jeep, and I'm not interested in that. I've already got a good off road truck that I will not get rid of. I'm not going to ask any more of the Bronco than what it was designed for.

I really doubt I would be looking at the 4dr Bronco if my kids were still small. To me, this is not the family rig for all the day to day uses a family needs. For that money, I think I would find better value elsewhere. So I guess it really depends on what you need and why you are looking at the Bronco. If it is just the look, there are a lot of other good looking vehicle out there.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Only about $300 more for the open air experience in a Yota.

dewalt-reciprocating-saws-dcb205ck380-64_1000.jpg

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

and the rav4 sure as shit isn't as capable... anyone who believes this does not understand suspension.
Of course the RAV4 suspension cannot be compared to the Bronco, but it can be compared to the Bronco Sport.

I should have been more clear, to me it is:
Bronco vs 4Runner
or
Bronco Sport Badlands vs RAV4 TRD Off-Road

Denney78

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan skyline, and a Chevy nova
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While 4runners are amazing vehicles the new one is quite concerning to us toyota techs. It’s to this point of being utterly bullet proof with almost no issues (especially the engine). The new one will most likely get the Tacoma’s new v6 which is utter garbage (compared to its old engine). So I don’t think waiting for the new 4Runner is really a smart move I’d pick up a current one or find some thing else (like the bronco).

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the discussion since there are a lot of capable vehicles. But you, your wife, your neighbor, your dog, and alllll these forum members know you're 99.999% gonna get a bronco if you're purchasing a new ride. What options are you picking to reach 60k..
Sponsored