Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've seen those, but only in reference to KOH / racing.
How will they hold up running 80mph on the highway for hours on end?

TIBUS has done bolt on portals for G class for a while and I've heard a few of their early ones don't have enough oil / cooling and would destroy themselves on the highway. Mercedes OE portal axles (designed by LeTech) would have to meet Mercedes specs and warranty risk.
Well 100,000s of Humvees/H1s certainly hold up fine at those speeds without overheating. Axletec s use a similar geared hub high speed axle with excellent reliability and durability.
Sponsored

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is concerning. It’s only a matter of time before one breaks at speed on the highway and someone gets hurt. I too suspect a quality issue with the rod itself. They are too brittle. They should bend a fair amount before snapping - and breakage should only occur once bending limits have been met, or when huge tensile loads are applied. Even it was bent earlier it should not fracture under low stress.

Having said that, I broke an outer TRE while slowly parking in a brand new Ram 2500 in 2010. The spindle snapped clean off where it meets the knuckle - a big beefy part broke like peanut brittle. A jagged grainy break in the steel suggested a defect in material, not design. I think the same is going on here.

Would love to see a broken part examined by a metallurgist. Any University engineering school near you that can put the part under a scope and render opinion?
Well said!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an inner tie rod break on the trail, and it took very little to do it. These tie rods are junk.. the steel is way too soft and will twist and snap off quite easily. In my case, the guy driving let the steering wheel slip out of his hands when the tire was on the ground and the passenger tire hit a small bump causing the tie rod to bend 45 degrees and snap clean in half at the jam nut. It wasn't a situation where the tire suddenly gained traction while already spinning.

I know, its hard to hear. I was against using Tie Rod sleeves and thought the problem was overblown until I snapped my first. Now I have the JKS sleeves on aftermarket Ranger tie rods. Fingers crossed.

Don't damage the boot doing a tie rod change either, as Ford is charging FOURTY DOLLARS for a replacement.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i love whistlin diesel!! @Merc4x4 have you seen the whole g wagon video by him??
I skipped forward a lot, but yeah. It was entertaining and I'm glad to see the all new g class is as tough as the previous version. It got me excited for the 4x42 trim expected soon.
I dislike the exhaust noises from turbos and that exhaust was especially bad sounding. :(
I miss my n/a V8's.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This is exactly why I didn't add HOSS to my WT. I have no interest in Ford trying to electronically control my shocks when they can't even get the doors off right.

But I want the heavier duty steering And I'm hoping that it's reasonably priced.
Unless you know something the rest of us don’t, the only electronically controlled shocks available on a bronco come on the raptor in the form of fox live valve shocks.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s $2,500 just to upgrade your order. How are you getting a whole new rack and everythat comes with it for $1,600?

i haven’t even heard of anyone get the whole parts list priced out yet. The $3k was just what I assumed would be a low guess.
HOSS add on includes alot more than just steering components and that's why it's more.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unless you know something the rest of us don’t, the only electronically controlled shocks available on a bronco come on the raptor in the form of fox live valve shocks.
Hoss 3 comes with live valve... At least that's what the information I read said back when I initially looked it up.

Sponsored

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

HOSS add on includes alot more than just steering components and that's why it's more.
Hoss 3 comes with live valve... At least that's what the information I read said back when I initially looked it up.
HOSS 3.0 does NOT come with Live valve shocks. it come with 2.5 inch fox racing internal bypass shocks.

the 3.1 inch live valve shocks are part of the HOSS 4.0 system on the raptor

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

HOSS 3.0 does NOT come with Live valve shocks. it come with 2.5 inch fox racing internal bypass shocks.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I remember having this same debate with someone when hoss 3 was first announced. And I had pointed out some article or something that stated it was live valve.

Not saying you're wrong, God knows it wouldn't be the first time information was released and then redacted after the fact.

Ah well. I just wanted the stronger steering and wasn't interested in paying $2.5 for all the rest.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have not stuck a tape on my tie rods but at first glance they appear to be thinner than the turn signal stalk, no heavier than what is on a Kawasaki Mule 2WD.

BUT through all normal moments there is no, repeat, no bending moment to the tie rod itself unless either end fails to move its full distance. The load on the rod is straight line pushmepullyou, if you will. Yes you can bend a jack by lifting well over its load limit and could theoretically bend a tie rod from purely compressive force but blowing the rack seal would be a more likely outcome.

If this and other tierod broken vehicles were shipped by rail instead of or in addition to truck could the tie downs used by rail company have strapped over the rods, pre bending them? As small as they are the only normal load is extension/compression, no bending

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have not stuck a tape on my tie rods but at first glance they appear to be thinner than the turn signal stalk, no heavier than what is on a Kawasaki Mule 2WD.

BUT through all normal moments there is no, repeat, no bending moment to the tie rod itself unless either end fails to move its full distance. The load on the rod is straight line pushmepullyou, if you will. Yes you can bend a jack by lifting well over its load limit and could theoretically bend a tie rod from purely compressive force but blowing the rack seal would be a more likely outcome.

If this and other tierod broken vehicles were shipped by rail instead of or in addition to truck could the tie downs used by rail company have strapped over the rods, pre bending them? As small as they are the only normal load is extension/compression, no bending
Actually they are built with a small bend in them for tire/wheel clearance. This does put a weak potentially bendable area right near the middle or weakest area. Also if there is any bind under extension the tie rod will always bend away from the load or angle it's put in with a load. Because they are angled downward they bend upward ( in the center) ... common sense .
Sponsored