First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Took my 22 Badlands Sasquatch for its 7th trail ride this weekend. it has been flawless to this point, BUT a few hundred yards into the trail it went bad fast. The start if the trail I was on is steep rocky and narrow. Made it up the first part and there was a loud warning, kinda like the proximity sensor warning, but longer... then I got about 6 error warnings with the big one being "4x4 Temporarily Disabled". I lost front wheel power, and just had rear with locker. It was still steep and precarious so I had to keep going to find a spot to get off trail and access. Went a few hundred yards like this and got on a levelish spot. Turned off the rig and restarted, same warnings came on. Unhooked the battery for a bit and tried it again but still same warnings. Decided to turn around.

I waited about 20 minutes for the 16 rigs I was leading on the trail to get through and pass me. restarted the rig and turned around and headed back down and was able to get 4x4 working again. I didn't want to chance it happening again on the trail so I headed home. I'll be making an appt to have Ford service it ASAP and I'll update this thread. Anyone else experience this? My net searches say this happens when the Transfer case is overheated, but I JUST started the trail and was only in 4x4 for a couple minutes.

Screenshot_20220731-080838_FordPass.jpg

20220730_205653.jpg
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like an issue with a rear ABS sensor. After my rock fiasco I learned just how heavily this 4x4 system relies on ABS input, it's the Achilles heel.

OP
OP
Jerowell

Jerowell

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just updating this thread. Took it to the dealership and they scanned it. Said they could not find any stored faults. Sent me on my way. I've done some basic trails since with it without issue. I'll update if it happens again.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just updating this thread. Took it to the dealership and they scanned it. Said they could not find any stored faults. Sent me on my way. I've done some basic trails since with it without issue. I'll update if it happens again.
Did you ever follow up with @flip’s request? I bet the Vehicle History Report (VHR) will provide you more info than what your dealer communicated.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jerowell

Jerowell

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you ever follow up with @flip’s request? I bet the Vehicle History Report (VHR) will provide you more info than what your dealer communicated.
I did. He sent me The screenshots of the report that pointed to the drivers Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. The Dealership guy blew that off.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did. He sent me The screenshots of the report that pointed to the drivers Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. The Dealership guy blew that off.
If a Ford dealer’s service advisor blows off a Vehicle History Report from within Ford’s own system, a report which he/she can easily verify directly in OASIS, then you should find another dealer for your service needs. Did they say why they reacted that way?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a question for the OP. On your dash screenshot it shows the vehicle is in 4L. When you say you lost front wheel power, was it still in low range? Somehow you found a 2L mode? I wouldn't have thought the xfer case is capable of that...but interesting if it is. Also It looks like you used rock crawl mode to put it in low range. Next time this happens try to remember to try putting it back in "normal" goat mode, then select 4L and lockers/sb disco as desired. I'm pretty sure something similar happened to me, and now I use "normal" mode exclusively. Could be a software bug in the goat modes

OP
OP
Jerowell

Jerowell

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a question for the OP. On your dash screenshot it shows the vehicle is in 4L. When you say you lost front wheel power, was it still in low range? Somehow you found a 2L mode? I wouldn't have thought the xfer case is capable of that...but interesting if it is. Also It looks like you used rock crawl mode to put it in low range. Next time this happens try to remember to try putting it back in "normal" goat mode, then select 4L and lockers/sb disco as desired. I'm pretty sure something similar happened to me, and now I use "normal" mode exclusively. Could be a software bug in the goat modes
Yes, it was basically in 2 low, and thankfully the rear locker kept working. That allowed me to get to a spot to access. It was in Rock Crawl mode, and during the issue the all modes were locked out including normal. Turning the knob would do nothing but show not available on screen. Tried manually pressing the 4L, 4h & 2H buttons, but those were locked out as well. After it set for about 30-45 minutes it all went back to normal and the issue has not resurfaced and I drove about 50 off road miles this past weekend... but nothing like the terrain I was on.

OP
OP
Jerowell

Jerowell

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a Ford dealer’s service advisor blows off a Vehicle History Report from within Ford’s own system, a report which he/she can easily verify directly in OASIS, then you should find another dealer for your service needs. Did they say why they reacted that way?
He just took it and scanned it and said none of the modules show a code, gave me his card and said if it happens again to call him. I told him it sent all kinds of errors to the app, but he just said there's nothing showing now.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, it was basically in 2 low, and thankfully the rear locker kept working. That allowed me to get to a spot to access. It was in Rock Crawl mode, and during the issue the all modes were locked out including normal. Turning the knob would do nothing but show not available on screen. Tried manually pressing the 4L, 4h & 2H buttons, but those were locked out as well. After it set for about 30-45 minutes it all went back to normal and the issue has not resurfaced and I drove about 50 off road miles this past weekend... but nothing like the terrain I was on.
That's pretty weird, but it shows that it is possible for the system to have a 2L feature somehow. Alot of Jeep guys put 2L kits on...don't know why I would ever want 2L, but always nice to have extra capabilities!

OP
OP
Jerowell

Jerowell

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's pretty weird, but it shows that it is possible for the system to have a 2L feature somehow. Alot of Jeep guys put 2L kits on...don't know why I would ever want 2L, but always nice to have extra capabilities!
I do have the T-case that has the 4A option. I know it uses clutches and has a safety feature that disables 4x4 if the clutches overheat as well.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do have the T-case that has the 4A option. I know it uses clutches and has a safety feature that disables 4x4 if the clutches overheat as well.
It was my understanding that the clutch was for 4A only. I thought it had a mechanical synchro for 4H and 4L. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to read the book I guess!

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was my understanding that the clutch was for 4A only. I thought it had a mechanical synchro for 4H and 4L. Maybe I am wrong. I'll have to read the book I guess!
The Bronco advanced t-case does not mechanically lock in 4H/4L, so it relies on the clutch plates.

As far as I know, only F150 has a dual-mode "Hi-Lock" t-case available (clutch in 4A, mechanical lock in 4H/4L). Standard on F150 Raptor and available on Tremor. The disadvantage of the current Hi-Lock case is 2.46:1 ratio, which is perhaps the reason it wasn't selected for Bronco.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco advanced t-case does not mechanically lock in 4H/4L, so it relies on the clutch plates.

As far as I know, only F150 has a dual-mode "Hi-Lock" t-case available (clutch in 4A, mechanical lock in 4H/4L). Standard on F150 Raptor and available on Tremor. The disadvantage of the current Hi-Lock case is 2.46:1 ratio, which is perhaps the reason it wasn't selected for Bronco.
I get that there is powerflow through the clutch in 4H/4L, but it was my understanding that the encoder motor mechanically forced the clutch into "full lock" when shifted into 4H or 4L. If the OP got it into an unwanted 2L situation then that can't be how it works...but all the info I have on the 4x4 "advanced" xfer case describes it that way.
Sponsored