Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Easiest thing is probably just to disconnect the wheel speed sensor and see if it lets you switch to 4-High or 4-Low. I'm sure if you switch to 4-Auto it's going to scream and yell at you non-stop and throw you back to 2-High. But hopefully it'll let you switch to 4-High or 4-Low.

Granted there are a bunch of other sensors involved as well, but out of all of the sensors the wheel-speed sensor is likely going to be the one that breaks first out on the trail.
I absolutely agree that one sensor should not disable the entire system. A wheel speed sensor goes out, I can see a case for disabling traction control and trail turn assist, not the whole system. It's unlikely both front or both rear are going to go out so the system should be able to use the other for redundancy. There shouldn't be too many situations where 4x4 should be completely disabled electronically short of complete harness damage.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

people believing technical talk from litebrite!
Ford Bronco Transfer Case Technical Discussion 1661192458782

the bronco t/case can be manually shifted by removing motor and moving shift fork.
This. I had to do this in my 93 Bronco one time because the position sensor contacts got gummed up with old grease. I'm not too worried about this "issue" but in a pinch just pull the motor and do whatever it does.

Now, if we can just find a solution to the lack of cup holders and Kevin's fluffy ass getting sweaty on that optional boat vinyl seating.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
as many already stated, LiteBrite is just another input into any decision and it's one that shouldn't be high on your list due to its conflicts of interest. Note they are not one of those channels where they even claim to refuse to take things from companies. Their brand is built on taking things from companies so they can tell you how great they are.

Regarding the transfer case. When they do comparisons like that they are being just speaking to their group. I deal with people often saying Amazon Redshift is just as good as google BigQuery, but all that shows is their bias.
You will not get a manual transfer case in any current generation vehicles because the consumer won't accept it. That we got a manual transmission is a fluke. Down the road, we will have to bring a tablet computer with us as recovery gear. We'll plug it in and order the diffs to lock, the transfer case to engage, the power steering to work, or the throttle to work. All so we can limp back to civilization.

I remember when the first electronic diesel engine controls came out. It was on the Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine and was one of the first electronically controlled road diesels. It had at least one failure mode that if it lost a cam sensor, it would not be able to restart. An 80,000 lb load is stuck and sitting somewhere because a $35 sensor fails at the wrong time. That was the late 80's. It's time to stop worrying about it and recognize electronic control systems are here to stay.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This. I had to do this in my 93 Bronco one time because the position sensor contacts got gummed up with old grease. I'm not too worried about this "issue" but in a pinch just pull the motor and do whatever it does.

Now, if we can just find a solution to the lack of cup holders and Kevin's fluffy ass getting sweaty on that optional boat vinyl seating.
just for princess Kevin
Ford Bronco Transfer Case Technical Discussion b

Sponsored

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A little earlier someone told me that a Bronco with the "Advanced 4X4 Transfer Box" should not be flat towed. Only manual transfer boxes can be towed safely. Yet in the above material there was a reference to "Neutral Flat Tow Activation and Deactivation (307-07B Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Advanced 4X4 with 4A Mode, General Procedures).

Any chance we can see this document (and any updates or cautions regarding flat towing a 2022 Black Diamond). Thank you. I printed out this data and it will reside in my center console.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
A little earlier someone told me that a Bronco with the "Advanced 4X4 Transfer Box" should not be flat towed. Only manual transfer boxes can be towed safely. Yet in the above material there was a reference to "Neutral Flat Tow Activation and Deactivation (307-07B Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Advanced 4X4 with 4A Mode, General Procedures).

Any chance we can see this document (and any updates or cautions regarding flat towing a 2022 Black Diamond). Thank you. I printed out this data and it will reside in my center console.
It's in the owners manual of your vehicle.
You can see it here too, starting on page 306 (bottom of pages) or 310 (pdf page)
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1B_om_EN-US_03_2021.pdf

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's really not much inside these.
1661192037643.png

1661192352456.png

1661192458782.png
I believe the upper picture is of the 4A xfer case and the lower 2 is the part time, is that correct? Just so everyone knows that you have 2 different xfer cases pictured there

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
as many already stated, LiteBrite is just another input into any decision and it's one that shouldn't be high on your list due to its conflicts of interest. Note they are not one of those channels where they even claim to refuse to take things from companies. Their brand is built on taking things from companies so they can tell you how great they are.

Regarding the transfer case. When they do comparisons like that they are being just speaking to their group. I deal with people often saying Amazon Redshift is just as good as google BigQuery, but all that shows is their bias.
You will not get a manual transfer case in any current generation vehicles because the consumer won't accept it. That we got a manual transmission is a fluke. Down the road, we will have to bring a tablet computer with us as recovery gear. We'll plug it in and order the diffs to lock, the transfer case to engage, the power steering to work, or the throttle to work. All so we can limp back to civilization.

I remember when the first electronic diesel engine controls came out. It was on the Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine and was one of the first electronically controlled road diesels. It had at least one failure mode that if it lost a cam sensor, it would not be able to restart. An 80,000 lb load is stuck and sitting somewhere because a $35 sensor fails at the wrong time. That was the late 80's. It's time to stop worrying about it and recognize electronic control systems are here to stay.
It's not a question of electronics, it's a question of what Ford calls "Failure Mode Effects Management" or FMEM. A transfer case SHOULD NOT shift without driver input...there is NO EARTHLY REASON for it to do so. xfer cases have been shifted electrically for many years. ABS has been around for many years. A failed wheel speed sensor HAS NEVER caused a 4wd failure that I know of on any make or model of 4x4 that I have ever worked on. If that i what is happening on some Broncos (I have not experienced yet), that IS A FLAW. Sure can be fixed w/software...but NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not a question of electronics, it's a question of what Ford calls "Failure Mode Effects Management" or FMEM. A transfer case SHOULD NOT shift without driver input...there is NO EARTHLY REASON for it to do so. xfer cases have been shifted electrically for many years. ABS has been around for many years. A failed wheel speed sensor HAS NEVER caused a 4wd failure that I know of on any make or model of 4x4 that I have ever worked on. If that i what is happening on some Broncos (I have not experienced yet), that IS A FLAW. Sure can be fixed w/software...but NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
I agree with your position. Failure modes are to be fail-safe. Here I assume that the choice was made that without proper front and rear speed inputs the software running the torque split can't determine what to do. The question becomes if fail-safe means leaving it locked which means you shouldn't drive on hard surfaces or turn on hard surfaces or if it means leaving it unlocked so you can drive on hard surfaces to turn but are unable to get unstuck on a loose surface condition.
Personally, I would fail to unlock, throwing the control system into 2wd with a message on the screen. Then locking out 4A and allowing only 4L or 4H. That would have made more sense, leaving it up to the driver to recognize when they can use 4L or 4H just like all manual transfer cases of the past did.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with your position. Failure modes are to be fail-safe. Here I assume that the choice was made that without proper front and rear speed inputs the software running the torque split can't determine what to do. The question becomes if fail-safe means leaving it locked which means you shouldn't drive on hard surfaces or turn on hard surfaces or if it means leaving it unlocked so you can drive on hard surfaces to turn but are unable to get unstuck on a loose surface condition.
Personally, I would fail to unlock, throwing the control system into 2wd with a message on the screen. Then locking out 4A and allowing only 4L or 4H. That would have made more sense, leaving it up to the driver to recognize when they can use 4L or 4H just like all manual transfer cases of the past did.
I don't think any choice was made. I think it's a bug plain and simple. Probably showed up in testing, was noted, and nothing was ever done about it. I'm more than happy to chalk it up to "new model bugs", but I definitely wana see a fix! There is no "torque split" to worry about in 4H/4L...should be full lock, and as far as I am concerned, I am more than happy to give up 4A as long as 4H and 4L work when I need them. Especially 4L...if I put my truck in 4L it's because I'm doing something I really need it for.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the upper picture is of the 4A xfer case and the lower 2 is the part time, is that correct? Just so everyone knows that you have 2 different xfer cases pictured there
Yes, I was just taking snips from the catalogue pages.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
What I want to know is why the transfer case is not disconnected from the front driveshaft and axle when in 2WD? The front end spins- including differential, driveshaft, axle gears, half shafts, etc. when in 2WD. The transfer case is not transmitting any power, it all spins freely but creates drag.

Are all Ford trucks like this (Except F250, see below)? My past 2019 Silverado the transfer case disconnected the front driveshaft and axle so there was not that extra drag of the driveshaft and the main gears, at least. The half shafts still spun though. At least minimized some of the drag.

I was really surprised (and disappointed) that the front axle, etc. is always engaged.

Locking hubs are what is needed to completely disengage the front end when in 2WD. Ford has them on the F250's- why on them and not the Bronco?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's a better pic of the advanced setup with the chain from the WSM.
Ford Bronco Transfer Case Technical Discussion 1661253657341

A lot more going on in the part time.
Ford Bronco Transfer Case Technical Discussion 1661253760668
Sponsored