Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem (here, in this thread, specifically) is the misinformation people keep posting. Owners are free to pour in 10 quarts if it makes them feel better, or drain their oil for 24 hours (even though if they wait 15 minutes and then drain for about 5 minutes they will be fine) or change their oil every 100 miles, BUT the most updated information is 6 quarts. For the sake of at least attempting to reflect accuracy in THIS thread, the 7 quart-ers should simply create their own thread and feel free to post all day long about WHY they decided to ignore the latest information (and move on from this thread).

For folks who are only now discovering this lengthy thread and to wish to skip right to the summary:

1. If you are looking for the CORRECT (updated) oil capacity for your Bronco, use the HTML link on the Ford manuals website and enter your VIN (not the fordpass app or the old paper version of the manual or the PDF).

2. If you're looking to find out if you have the right dipstick, you can call your local Ford dealer and ask the parts person and you will find that the C stick is the most updated number for your VIN. If you have a stick with an H on the handle, even if it's not the C stick, the max line is at the same height as the C stick...and you can use it. If you have an H stick and you have to scribe a line or if your level is not falling between the max and the minimum mark, then that means your oil level is incorrect.

3. Unless you're working on the assembly line building a 2.7, and you are tasked with doing the factory oil fill, then the factory fill listed in the SSM is irrelevant for you (us).

4. If you get caught up in the conspiracy theory that Ford did this change (to 6 quarts) only because they wanted to avoid having an incorrect stick/looking foolish/etc., note that they still DID include a new stick into the parts catalog (that reflects six quarts). The stick conspiracy theory would only be plausible if Ford thought "oops we told people that it's 7 quarts, but we provided a stick that measures only 6, so now in order to avoid having to look stupid, we'll just tell him that 6 quarts and keep the same stick" AND if they stayed with that same stick...but they DIDN'T. They added a NEW (6 quart) stick. If the pan was truly meant to hold 7, instead of adding a new 6 quart stick and updating loads of information, they could have simply stayed with one of the TWO short-lived 7 quart sticks that they added (for like a week) to the parts catalog...but they DIDN'T. Thousands of people are well aware of the oil level issue, and Ford clearly had to address it...and no one in his or her right mind would downplay the benefit of a pan that has greater capacity (especially as a selling feature) just to save face over a stick (especially when they changed that stick recommendation THREE times...BACK to a 6-quart version with the twist located higher).

I too wanted to believe in 7...and I wanted to be the first kid on the block with the "right stick"...so I have both the F stick and C stick in my collection I'm addition to the OEM one...but regardless of what I want or believe the fact is that Ford revised the oil capacity to 6 for the 2.7.
The best way to handle this would be for the OPs of the 3+ oil change threads to update their opening posts so that n00bs who jump into the various threads for the first time donā€™t keep repeating what is in the dated opening posts.

Now this particular thread was started by @flip with the best of intentions, and that early information has since been overruled by powers that be within FoMoCo. He was simply caught in the middle, so I can understand why he hasnā€™t posted much on this topic recently. He may be understandably disgusted by how Ford has handled this, and who could blame him?

Nevertheless, the opening posts of all the oil change threads need to be updated to reflect current information to stop this repetitive cycle of n00bs only reading the opening post and then jumping into the comments.

And the well-intentioned people who keep standing at the ā€˜Whack-A-Trollā€™ machine, swinging away at every troll commment that pops up, need to step away from the machine and recognize that itā€™s a losing battle that you will never win.

If you see trollish comments, just report them, and move on with your lives. You will be much happier going forward.

Until then, Sisyphus will keep pushing that boulder up the hill.
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The best way to handle this would be for the OPs of the 3+ oil change threads to update their opening posts so that n00bs who jump into the various threads for the first time donā€™t keep repeating what is in the dated opening posts.

Now this particular thread was started by @flip with the best of intentions, and that early information has since been overruled by powers that be within FoMoCo. He was simply caught in the middle, so I can understand why he hasnā€™t posted much on this topic recently. He may be understandably disgusted by how Ford has handled this, and who could blame him?

Nevertheless, the opening posts of all the oil change threads need to be updated to reflect current information to stop this repetitive cycle of n00bs only reading the opening post and then jumping into the comments.

And the well-intentioned people who keep standing at the ā€˜Whack-A-Trollā€™ machine, swinging away at every troll commment that pops up, need to step away from the machine and recognize that itā€™s a losing battle that you will never win.

If you see trollish comments, just report them, and move on with your lives. You will be much happier going forward.

I don't mind playing 'Whack-A-Troll'. Lol. I only do it for fun, but thanks for the concern. It's like playing a stupid game on your smartphone. If I felt any stress over it, I'd leave. Not worth the health ramifications.

Until then, I'll jump in if I have something to say.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'll believe Ford's 6 qt claim When they stop overfilling them from the factory.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll believe Ford's 6 qt claim When they stop overfilling them from the factory.
I think this would be the last piece of the puzzle, too. So far 1 forum member said they received their Bronco with oil at the full mark on the dipstick. (Delivered very recently)

To me, this suggests their Bronco is setup to use 6qt oil change. I have no idea if they followed the proper procedure to check the oil from the owners manual. I don't know if the dealer drained a qt. I don't know if the factory fill was not 7.5qt.
I did get the engine build date.

I'm on team lazy. I let the dealer do the maintenance; they used 6qts. It's a great drive an hour north of the city and since the Bronco is mostly garaged any excuse to drive it is enjoyable.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think this would be the last piece of the puzzle, too. So far 1 forum member said they received their Bronco with oil at the full mark on the dipstick. (Delivered very recently)

To me, this suggests their Bronco is setup to use 6qt oil change. I have no idea if they followed the proper procedure to check the oil from the owners manual. I don't know if the dealer drained a qt. I don't know if the factory fill was not 7.5qt.
I did get the engine build date.

I'm on team lazy. I let the dealer do the maintenance; they used 6qts. It's a great drive an hour north of the city and since the Bronco is mostly garaged any excuse to drive it is enjoyable.
Yeah I should be getting my Bronco in the next couple weeks if shipping goes as planned... And this is going to be one of the first things I check.

Sponsored
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, I've given up on this. Those who weren't around when the first batch of broncos were produced or tried to figure out the evolution of this without looking at the post dates is beyond my control. I can assure everyone, all of the info I was giving at the time was coming from Ford contacts and the parts catalogue. The catalogue has gone through some changes which Ford acknowledged and updated. The ultimate question a lot of us want to know, now that things have changed, is did Ford overfill the first batch of 2.7s or were the sticks wrong? They say 6qt is the correct answer but they didn't acknowledge they overfilled them up to what date?

Last edited:

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yea, I've given up on this. Those who weren't around when the first batch of broncos were produced or tried to figure out the evolution of this without looking at the post dates. I can assure everyone, all of the info I was giving at the time was coming from Ford contacts and the parts catalogue. The catalogue has gone through some changes which Ford acknowledged and updated. The ultimate question a lot of us want to know, now that things have changed, is did Ford overfill the first batch of 2.7s or were the sticks wrong? They say 6qt is the correct answer but they didn't acknowledge they overfilled them up to what date?
Bingo. Seems like a lot of folks on here are quick to rally around the ā€œlatest info from Fordā€ as gospel. Someone please explain to me how Ford screwed up the oil capacity out the gate. Whatā€™s a bigger screw up, publishing (and confirming multiple times) the original 7 quart capacity or screwing up a dipstick?

I just wish they would be transparent and that would put everyone at ease. Iā€™m not a conspiracy type of guy but the 7 quart design seemed well reasoned to account for off road angles. The fact that they factory fill at 7.5 and say itā€™s ok to still run 7 while quietly changing paperwork in the middle of the night to read 6 appears like an easy fix for a dipstick blunder.

To me thatā€™s more plausible than a typo in the original users manual and ā€œaccidentallyā€ factory filling all MY21 and most 22s (assuming they have stopped) at 7.5. Guess weā€™ll never know.

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yea, I've given up on this. Those who weren't around when the first batch of broncos were produced or tried to figure out the evolution of this without looking at the post dates is beyond my control. I can assure everyone, all of the info I was giving at the time was coming from Ford contacts and the parts catalogue. The catalogue has gone through some changes which Ford acknowledged and updated. The ultimate question a lot of us want to know, now that things have changed, is did Ford overfill the first batch of 2.7s or were the sticks wrong? They say 6qt is the correct answer but they didn't acknowledge they overfilled them up to what date?
Agree.... it is funny that some people here want to change the original thread headlines to be change to reflect the new BS from Ford.... to me it is like wanting to change history so no one will now the truth about what had really happen... kind of like burying your head in the sand.... Ford needs to answer our questions with the REAL truth.... so I will say to Ford.... I'm not as stupid as you think.... I look at the facts and decide for myself what is best for my Bronco.... because it is mine now.... not Fords...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Almost as funny as believeing Ford for the initial capacity specifications, but then refusing to believe them after theyā€™ve looked into it and fixed it. Which one makes less sense šŸ¤”

Honestly who cares anymore. Do what you want with your own bronco and move on. All these threads should just be deleted šŸ™„

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Almost as funny as believeing Ford for the initial capacity specifications, but then refusing to believe them after theyā€™ve looked into it and fixed it. Which one makes less sense šŸ¤”

Honestly who cares anymore. Do what you want with your own bronco and move on. All these threads should just be deleted šŸ™„
Ford fixed nothingā€¦ just saved themselves a recallā€¦ no the posts donā€™t need to be deletedā€¦ let people and read them and make up their own mindsā€¦ without Fords helpā€¦ or Ford can come clean with a truthful explanationā€¦.but we all know they wonā€™tā€¦ just like the blown 2.7 engines

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Idea...I would be up for sending Flip a portion of a 6G group donation for having him buy (at dealer cost, hopefully) both a 2021 F150 2.7 pan and a 2021 2.7 Bronco pan...then ask him to fill both up with 6 quarts of water and measure from the top of the water to the top of the pan rail when it is level...THAT will end the mystery of, regardless of what Ford has said this far, if one in fact was meant to hold more than the other. He can share pics and then keep both pans for his trouble...would anyone be interested in that? Not the most scientific experiment but it would answer some questions...and Flip may even have access to a Bronco pan from a grendaded motor already...

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be interesting to see Rob.
I have sent a request to FoMoCo asking them why they use/used a 7.5qrt initial fill on the 2.7 for the first two years.
They responded this morning saying they would get back to me asap.
I got the email addy from my brother who is a Ford dealer.
We shall seeā€¦..

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That would be interesting to see Rob.
I have sent a request to FoMoCo asking them why they use/used a 7.5qrt initial fill on the 2.7 for the first two years.
They responded this morning saying they would get back to me asap.
I got the email addy from my brother who is a Ford dealer.
We shall seeā€¦..
I imagine Ford keeps some information on a "need to know" basis? I don't pay much attention to "factory fill," unless I am building the engine, because regardless of what the documentation (that was not meant for me as the buyer) indicates, by the time I receive the vehicle it was supposed to have gone through PDI and the service dept. was supposed to have checked all levels (and adjusted as necessary). I imagine they don't actually do that, however...at least down to my OCD of fluid level checking. Having a side by side comparison of the pans would give all of us who are still wondering exactly what led to this level of confusion a tangible answer. I imagine there are plenty of folks who'd be willing to part with a few bucks collectively to make that happen. I am curious, but not curious enough to spend the 300-400 bucks on my own. The reason I am sticking with 6 quarts is because the latest information for my VIN reflects that level, and the correct dipstick for my VIN in the catalog is the stick I currently have. I have a warranty, and if it blows at least I am following Ford's latest updated information. If it truly was designed to hold 7, and Ford (for whatever reason) updated it to 6, I sincerely doubt it was only to avoid a "stick recall" (because they already added 3 newer versions of sticks, 2 for 7 quarts and the latest for 6, to the catalog). I am still befuddled by the folks who are SO proud of their Broncos, and who believed everything Ford told them to begin with about the mythical 7 quart pan, but then bristled when Ford changed that...and now they happily drive their product but believe the makers of that product have a secret oil level agenda...sigh...and cling to the initial information as if something called an "update" is not a real thing. It is much easier for Ford to simply say "yep it holds 7 quarts...but we screwed up the dipstick so go get another if you want one" (and make another 20 bucks per owner) than it is to say "well it really holds 6, and although your current stick accurately measures 6, we made yet another new stick that also measures 6, so go buy that one."

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mythical 7 quart pan???? Now that is funny.... After over a year of being a 7 qt pan.... POOF....it is now 6 qts.... Kind of like POOF.... there were never any bad 2.7 engines....

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mythical 7 quart pan???? Now that is funny.... After over a year of being a 7 qt pan.... POOF....it is now 6 qts.... Kind of like POOF.... there were never any bad 2.7 engines....
It is just as funny that you swear by Ford's initial "7 quart pan" (that was essentially talked about in a random interview to Bronco Nation) that from the beginning never had a correct stick to match (the stick was from an entirely different vehicle...), but now that the same manufacturer puts out a public update you refuse to believe it (all because you think they want to avoid a "stick recall"...even though they ALSO added a new SIX quart stick to the parts catalog...which by your theory would ALSO necessitate a "stick recall"). Sound logic.
Sponsored