Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I finished upgrading my axles, steering & installed SVC perch collars and learned a few things while doing so.

First the front axles are stubborn to get out. Never had a problem pounding axles out with a hand sledge & punch before but after a good 30 minutes of that I called up the local AutoZone & got a hub puller & 3-jaw puller. Hub puller didn't fit, but needed it anyway as it had the driver for the 3-jaw puller in that kit. Next I found that the axles are really soft. While the 3-jaw puller made short work of pulling the axles, the driver chewed into the axle centers pretty good. from the pictures below. Not a big issue but you can see why you do not want to use an impact wrench when removing or installing the hub nuts. Really should not shock hub bearing like that anyway ;).

Passenger side nut was messed up a little when removing and took extra effort to remove (Don't reuse axle nuts). If you carry spare axles on the trail, make sure to have a good 3-jaw puller with a hardened steel driver, not Harbor Freight pot metal jaw puller in your tool kit, it will strip out in no time. Those axles are stubborn.

Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0252

RJOBX's experience from a shop using an impact wrench
And I use to not like orange :unsure:. RCV's are nice :cool:
Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0248

Second, I installed the Bronco Buster Bushing & Stage 3 housing. Bushing went in easily enough. The stage 3 housing a bit more effort was needed. While the passenger side came off easy, the driver side did not seem like it was budging. Man getting that driver side bolt lose was nuts. It had me doubting my Dewalt DCF891B that is rated at 800 lbs. removal strength 😲. Out came the 24" breaker bar with a fat guy on the end of it. Well the Dewalt must have weakened it (Dewalt proved itself on the rear shock bolts) as I was able to break it fairly quickly & finish it with the impact gun. Next challenge was fighting with the just big enough" hose clamp that was in the kit. I must have spent 40 minutes fighting trying to get that to connect when it dawned on me I have a drawer full of those things :sneaky:. I was a little gassed & jug-headed at that time of the install so, if I tried again today it might have gone on there.
Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0249

I also added the Bronc Buster shock mount skids. The Dewalt pulled the bolts with out breaking a sweat & redeemed itself from the driver side steering rack bolt 🙏

Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0253

The perch collars were a straight forward install with little drama other than the last one in the rear was so fun I did it twice :sneaky: . Jug-headedness strikes again & I realized that I forgot to put the boot back on once it was installed in the truck
Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes dunce

Still waiting for the suspension to settle & my tires to come in, then it will be off to the alignment shop. Once home I will install the BroncBuster Tie rod braces.

Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0247
Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0250
Sponsored

Last edited:

RJOBX

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well I finished upgrading my axles, steering & installed SVC perch collars and learned a few things while doing so.

First the front axles are stubborn to get out. Never had a problem pounding axles out with a hand sledge & punch before but after a good 30 minutes of that I called up the local AutoZone & got a hub puller & 3-jaw puller. Hub puller didn't fit, but needed it anyway as it had the driver for the 3-jaw puller in that kit. Next I found that the axles are really soft. While the 3-jaw puller made short work of pulling the axles, the driver chewed into the axle centers pretty good. from the pictures below. Not a big issue but you can see why you do not want to use an impact wrench when removing or installing the hub nuts. Really should not shock hub bearing like that anyway ;).
Passenger side nut was messed up a little when removing and took extra effort to remove (Don't reuse axle nuts). If you carry spare axles on the trail, make sure to have a good 3-jaw puller with a hardened steel driver, not Harbor Freight pot metal jaw puller in your tool kit, it will strip out in no time. Those axles are stubborn.
Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0250

Thanks for tagging me in this.
I'm a month out from this issue, and I'm about to leave a google review about the installer. Can you confirm whether the nut does have a lock on it? I'm still thinking the damage was done at the time of removal (not the build in Michigan) and even though they aren't compensating me for it on any level, I'll get some modicum of satisfaction by warning others off from them.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for tagging me in this.
I'm a month out from this issue, and I'm about to leave a google review about the installer. Can you confirm whether the nut does have a lock on it? I'm still thinking the damage was done at the time of removal (not the build in Michigan) and even though they aren't compensating me for it on any level, I'll get some modicum of satisfaction by warning others off from them.
No lock or crush channel in the axles. They used the impact gun on yours. My passenger side nut was boogered from the factory, but the axle was ok. If I used an impact wrench it would have turned out like yours as well as it had a lot of friction during removal.
Hope you get yours sorted soon.

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Second, I installed the Bronco Buster Bushing & Stage 3 housing. Bushing went in easily enough. The stage 3 housing a bit more effort was needed. While the passenger side came off easy, the driver side did not seem like it was budging. Man getting that driver side bolt lose was nuts. It had me doubting my Dewalt DCF891B that is rated at 800 lbs. removal strength 😲. Out came the 24" breaker bar with a fat guy on the end of it. Well the Dewalt must have weakened it (Dewalt proved itself on the rear shock bolts) as I was able to break it fairly quickly & finish it with the impact gun. Next challenge was fighting with the just big enough" hose clamp that was in the kit. I must have spent 40 minutes fighting trying to get that to connect when it dawned on me I have a drawer full of those things :sneaky:. I was a little gassed & jug-headed at that time of the install so, if I tried again today it might have gone on there.
IMG_0249.jpg

I also added the Bronc Buster shock mount skids. The Dewalt pulled the bolts with out breaking a sweat & redeemed itself from the driver side steering rack bolt 🙏

IMG_0253.jpg

The perch collars were a straight forward install with little drama other than the last one in the rear was so fun I did it twice :sneaky: . Jug-headedness strikes again & I realized that I forgot to put the boot back on once it was installed in the truck
dunce.gif

Still waiting for the suspension to settle & my tires to come in, then it will be off to the alignment shop. Once home I will install the BroncBuster Tie rod braces.

IMG_0247.jpg
IMG_0250.jpg
Bronco looks great!

I have been looking for a Floor Jack like yours. Which one did you go with?

Recommend?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco looks great!

I have been looking for a Scissor Floor Jack like yours. Which one did you go with?

Recommend?
Thanks.
It's an old Quick Jack BL-5000SLX . it's a great lift & stores out of the way on the wall. They are bit more money now but they lift 3" higher now as well.

Last edited:

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very cool! Thanks

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks.
It's an old Quick Jack SLX 5000. it's a great lift & stores out of the way on the wall. They are bit more money now but they lift 3" higher now as well.
I bought a QuickJack 7000TL early this year, and I love it.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Felix808 Amazing build. I’m getting the SVC perch collars put on in the coming weeks and I’m keeping the stock Sasquatch tires and rims. Any idea how much lift you got after the install? Also, no need for wheel spacers with the 37’s and the JKS kit?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just another helpful hint, don't be stupid like me and think that you can thread the axle nut back on before you reattach the upper control arm. My CV joint pulled apart (with minimal effort) what a mess and pain in the ass that is.

Whatever you do, do not thread the axle nut back on without having the lower arm elevated. Unless you have a burning desire to get covered in CV boot grease.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Felix808 Amazing build. I’m getting the SVC perch collars put on in the coming weeks and I’m keeping the stock Sasquatch tires and rims. Any idea how much lift you got after the install? Also, no need for wheel spacers with the 37’s and the JKS kit?
Thanks.
I had a little rubbing the other night under full compression & full lock, but not enough to worry about or consider running spacers. I think it was on the skid plate. I really like the SAS wheels myself. I doubt you would have any issues sticking with the SAS tires & wheels.

It looks like it was at the trans brace 11.5" stock 13.5" after perch collars & 14.875" after tires.
Rear lower control arm was 11.125" stock 13.75" after perch collars & 14.5" after tires.

Just another helpful hint, don't be stupid like me and think that you can thread the axle nut back on before you reattach the upper control arm. My CV joint pulled apart (with minimal effort) what a mess and pain in the ass that is.

Whatever you do, do not thread the axle nut back on without having the lower arm elevated. Unless you have a burning desire to get covered in CV boot grease.
Not sure what was all involved in your project, but if I was just doing the perch collars I would leave the axles alone & disconnect the lowers. But good advice all the same :cool: .

Last edited:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0258

Ford Bronco Axle, Steering & Perch Collar Upgrades - observations and install notes IMG_0258

Like your ride, checking out the builds for Bronco's going to Moab. See you in May. Getting ready for my winter modifications after wheeling all spring and summer. Had not looked into yet till I check your thread out again JKS Max tire kit. Most likely I will do collar perches and 37s not sure on tire brand yet. I have the new steering box in the garage. I need more clearance my undercarriage is beat.

OP
OP
Felix808

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like your ride, checking out the builds for Bronco's going to Moab. See you in May. Getting ready for my winter modifications after wheeling all spring and summer. Had not looked into yet till I check your thread out again JKS Max tire kit. Most likely I will do collar perches and 37s not sure on tire brand yet. I have the new steering box in the garage. I need more clearance my undercarriage is beat.
Thanks. I'm really happy with the SVC perch collars & how it rides / works. If Bilstein doesn't come out with the 8112's for our trucks , I don't think all do anything else to the suspension. I don't want to go any higher, most kits will net just about another 1" of travel. It doesn't rub on the trails. The 8112's are 60mm with external reservoirs vice the 43mm bodies with piggybacks but have the same end stop valving tech. I don't do high speed stuff & it just works as is. :cool:
Sponsored