orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, we know these are Built Wild... but my wife didn't appreciate it sounding like a hurricane everyday. Who wouldn't want to hear the subtle guitar, bass, drums and notes of your favorite music on the sound system for which you paid? After reading 4+ threads and looking at various modifications people made, I decided to create a single guide here of everything I did to reduce the interior noise. The ideas are not all my own, and credit is due to those individuals whose brilliance came first. Shoutouts to some of those brilliant individuals- jlatigo, mountainbronco, Geo2 and more that I can't put my finger on.

My family says it's significantly quieter now, and I tend to do whatever they say. Hope this helps enhance your ride!

Total cost is about $75. Total install time is ~1 hour if your hard top is already off. If it's not off, what are you waiting for?

Specs
  • 4 Door- most of the below applies to both 2 and 4 door models
  • Wildtrak, Sasquatch
  • MIC Hard Top

Grocery List
(These are not affiliate links. I don't receive anything from you clicking on them!)
  1. KX Automotive Universal New Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip D-Shape (20')
  2. Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In (1 roll)
  3. KX Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping (10')
  4. Automotive Weather Stripping Door Window Rubber Seal Strip Z Shape (Buy the "Z" Shape- you only need about 3' of this, so you'll have a lot left over)
  5. Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation (You need 2 of these)

General Install Notes
  • Clean all surfaces before attempting to stick the adhesive
  • Let the adhesive bond- i.e. flex your muscles and secure firmly!
  • Use a regular scissors to cut things to length- most are approximate, and size doesn't matter as much (right?). The Z Shape strip is more visible, and you probably want to measure (hint, 15.5").
  • Some seals are hidden, and some are visible... take your time. If you screw up, cut a new strip. ;)

From the front of the vehicle working to the back...

Windshield
  • In the front channel, adhere #1 in the Grocery List inside the full length of the channel.
  • Cut 4 short strips of #2 and stick them 2 each, side by side, vertically in the ends of the channel.
  • All of this is hidden with the top on. With the top off, it will either look factory installed or like a small kid used the scissors if you don't cut straight. I have both results.
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Windshield

Front Panels
  • Use the #1 stripping for all of these.
  • Primary guidance is to adhere the middle strip that goes on the Driver’s Front Panel to the slightly raised portion of the roof. Don’t adhere it to the top/roof section as it won’t allow the panel to close enough. It also makes for a cleaner look if you install on the raised portion.
  • The two strips that face the windshield are not visible. The strip that runs between the two panels is minimally visible.
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Front Panels

Mid Panel
  • Secure #3 along the length of the mid panel. This is the curved side of the panel that faces towards the back.
  • Snuggle the stripping right along the edge and you'll look like a pro. This is visible from the inside once installed.
  • Super easy, right?
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Mid Panel

Rear Panel
  • This is the fun one and makes a big sound impact!
  • The picture is probably the best explanation of what goes where.
  • I'm not sure if the top most #3 install is needed- and I forgot to take another picture of it properly adhered. It basically curves along a small section on top. I had some extra stripping, so I used it.
  • The small square of #2 goes on top of a similar, but thinner material that Ford already has in that same place.
  • The Z Shape #4 is great stuff, and I think makes the exterior even look a little sleek (no one ever described a Bronco as sleek, right?). I'd measure this one and cut accordingly- I did 15.5". Adhere it right along the edge of the panel. This helps with wind noise by sealing the gap between the frame of the Bronco and the rear panel.
  • This is not visible except for #4 (Z Shape stripping).
Interior View:
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Rear Panel

Exterior View:
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Rear Panel Exterior

To Pool Noodle or to Wrap Your Pipe
  • I saw various opinions on which material worked best, which ones disintegrated in the elements, how to secure, etc.
  • I decided to use the rubber Armacell pipe wrap - #5 on the Grocery List. It comes in a 6’ length, and I left it as-is.
  • I peeled off the self-adhering tape and stuck it to itself.
  • Rather than figure out how to secure it with the top off and/or how to not make it look bad… I decided I’d simply lay it in the roof gutter when I put the hard top on. Otherwise, it will sit in storage in my garage if the top is off.
  • We’ll see if it lasts- easy and inexpensive to replace.
Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please Armacell Rubber

So that's about it. I suggest ordering everything and installing all at once when you have the roof off vs string betting the process.

Happy Sound Dampening!
Sponsored

Last edited:

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were there improvements made to model year 22? Mine was built end of June 22 and I don't feel like any of these mods are necessary for it. I hear some wind noise but it doesn't seem too bad.

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

excellent post thank you for your detailed findings and photo's
I've done part of what you have listed to noticeable reduction in noise
I will definately do the other parts you've outlined

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Were there improvements made to model year 22? Mine was built end of June 22 and I don't feel like any of these mods are necessary for it. I hear some wind noise but it doesn't seem too bad.
Not sure, I think there is varying levels of luck as well. Mine (2022) isn't insanely noisy by no means but I'm still going to try this out because the quieter the better.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Mines not noisy. Guess its subjective

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure, I think there is varying levels of luck as well. Mine (2022) isn't insanely noisy by no means but I'm still going to try this out because the quieter the better.
Could be one of the benefits of getting older. My wife has thought for years that my hearing was not what it used to be. 😆
Maybe it's really starting to go

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice write-up! Sad that folks need to go to these lengths when much of this should be incorporated from the factory.

Anyways, for the picture below, does this not impact the water drainage from your roof? I'd be worried that this could easily cause a back up of water, especially if you've got a little bit of pine needles or debris in the channel. Just a thought to keep an eye open for over time I suppose.

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please 1662947943237

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice write-up! Sad that folks need to go to these lengths when much of this should be incorporated from the factory.

Anyways, for the picture below, does this not impact the water drainage from your roof? I'd be worried that this could easily cause a back up of water, especially if you've got a little bit of pine needs or debris in the channel. Just a thought to keep an eye open for over time I suppose.

1662947943237.png
Agreed- thought about this a bit, and it's possible. The #2 foam is specifically not covering the drain hole in that area. The top, though, could be an issue- I guess we'll see. The good news (as I reminded my wife) is that all of this is easy to remove if any issues present themselves.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't have mine yet to try but what amazes me is that your $75 in material would have cost Ford less than $5 and resolved the issue to begin with.

So many posts seem to be caused by Ford letting the bean counters dictate so much to reach a sticker price or a larger profit margin. Anyrate, thanks for gathering all the info together in one go by.

Hang On

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am actually in the process of purchasing another explorer and then putting my hard top 2022 Outer Banks up for sale. The noise is terrible on the interstate with a cross wind. This is my second Bronco as I had a 2021 soft top originally. The interior noise was bad and I ordered a hard top. I love my Bronco but my wife and I want to do road trips and the noise is just too much.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am actually in the process of purchasing another explorer and then putting my hard top 2022 Outer Banks up for sale. The noise is terrible on the interstate with a cross wind. This is my second Bronco as I had a 2021 soft top originally. The interior noise was bad and I ordered a hard top. I love my Bronco but my wife and I want to do road trips and the noise is just too much.
Many will come to the same conclusion over the next few years. It is purpose built, but doesn't suit everyone's purpose. The reality is that most Bronco owners don't need it's capability.
Sponsored