First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is my "cheat sheet". I keep it in my phone, and I have a print in the glovebox in case I'm not the one doing the rotation (like when it's at the dealer for the 10,000 mi. service)...

286C7861-494D-44EF-B3DC-D40093A63014.jpeg
I don't use a cheat sheet. Simply remember cross the non-driving wheels. Applies to every vehicle I have rotated the tires on. It's second nature. Fwd or rwd it does matter, cross the non-driving wheels. 5 tire rotation I have to think for just a second.

Never owned an awd so I am not sure what I would want to do.

***Yes the bronco is 4wd but it's 2wd 99% of the time***
The one Iā€™m using is basically the same thing that Broncoman7072 and the ownerā€™s manual describe, except the left front does a stint as a spare before it moves to the right rear. Same pattern, but it gets the spare into the rotationā€¦

And also, it enables you to jack up just one corner at a time as you rotateā€¦
Sponsored

Rickperry

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bdusa.co
Vehicle(s)
2021 SAS Badlands / 2022 BaseSAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do a standard 4 because I have very bad luck with tires.

My tires are magnets and Iā€™m always getting nails. Eventually, there is a nail thatā€™s too close to the side wall and I have to get a new tire. Recommended practice is to replace the opposite tire at the same time so that the tread depths are the same (Assuming you care to strictly match tread depths, canā€™t say I always do šŸ˜œ). Instead of buying two new tires, I buy one new tire and match it with the unused 5th wheel on the other side. The good worn wheel goes to spare duty.

If/when I lose another tire, hopefully the worn spare is similar tread depth as the rest of the vehicle. Then I can put a new tire back on spare duty. (Road hazard warranty is my best friend lol)

If you have bad luck and lose a lot of tires, this is more optimal than a 5 wheel rotation.

Yes, if youā€™re doing 5 tire rotation, you can lose a tire and still have matching tread depths for 4 corners. But once you put a new tire on the spare, you will have mismatched tread depths if you continue the 5 wheel rotation. If you keep it out of the rotation, then you fall into my practice stated above.

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you rotate your own tires? Do you do all 5 or just 4?
Here I walk you thru a 5 tire rotation and explain why you should!

5/4 = 1.25, so 25% more tire life, not 20%.

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you rotate your own tires? Do you do all 5 or just 4?
Here I walk you thru a 5 tire rotation and explain why you should!

What do you think of using anti-seize on the threads of the lugs?

Sponsored

Kameronatm

Badlands
First Name
Kameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rotated all 5, and the sensors picked right up without a hiccupā€¦ šŸ‘
so we don't have to use any tools to relearn their locations after the rotation??

TinStar

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250SD, 67Gal
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had the dealer rotate 5 for $25 dollars at 7K, fixn to have them do it again now that I'm at 14K.
I'll spend $25 for the dealer to do it. SAS aren't light and I'm old. :)

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so we don't have to use any tools to relearn their locations after the rotation??
I for sure didn't. I don't know why it says that in the manual. Maybe early units, and then they changed something?

I just rotated them in my driveway, and when I started her up, all the corners registered correctly...

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've always done 5 tire on all my off-road rigs every 5k miles while I do my oil changes. Jacking up the driver's side supposedly helps drain more oil from the Bronco, and since I'm already doing both things it saves a step.

I say I'm thrifty, (my wife says "cheap") - so I've typically run my tires til they're worn out/at the depth notch. The stock "rock-throwing menaces" will wear out their welcome before they were out their tread, because with 16k on the odo, I don't see much tread wear yet, and that's with a decent amount of off-road as well.

FWIW, I carry a tire plug kit and have repaired so many tires that tire shops say they can't plug because the nail/screw/whatever is too close to/in the sidewall, and I've never had a problem. YMMV, and it's certainly not the mfg's specs (but then again, they're in the business to sell more tires).

Regarding the 4 tire rotation - per the manual, when the 5th tire as a spare, it shouldn't be a permanent replacement - especially when you get into the 30-40k mileage - the diameter difference between a new tire and one with excessive mileage won't play nice w/your drivetrain for very long. Use it to get off the trail and get home and maybe back to the tire shop.
Ford Bronco 5 wheel tire rotation... Why you should do it! Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 1.50.23 PM

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I for sure didn't. I don't know why it says that in the manual. Maybe early units, and then they changed something?

I just rotated them in my driveway, and when I started her up, all the corners registered correctly...
I've done three 5 tire rotations and never had to mess w/the TPS.

Sponsored

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So here's my thought on the matter. I'm thinking a 5 tire rotation but not the way your'e thinking about it. Hear me out. (this is all assuming that you are going to stick with the same tires down the road, which might be easier said than done given how the world rapidly changes around us. )

Yes you can gain 20% life on the tires but when you go to replace the tires you're paying 20% more so it's a bit of a wash. The advantage to adding the 5th tire to the rotation is that when you need a spare down the road it's not going to be a 10 year old tire that you can't count on. On the other hand it's nice to have a "show" tire on the back of your vehicle instead of a beat up nasty looking tire. So what's the solution?

My thought is do the normal 4 tire rotation and keep the new tire looking new for the life of the first set of tires. Then when it comes time to replace the tires you still only replace 4 tires but (assuming you're sticking with the same size and model tire) this is when you switch out the spare tire with a new one and put the spare into the rotation. The advantage being that you don't need to worry down the line that you have an old dry rot tire that you can't depend on if you need it and you also don't have to pay the extra $300 (or so) every time you replace your tires. The extra 20% of life is nice but in reality you're going to replace the tires 2 times in the life of a vehicle the added 20k miles will be nice but you won't really see the benefit of it unless you're taking the car beyond 160k miles. Most people aren't. And in the meantime you've paid around $600 extra for tires by this point.

One note: I've seen the argument that if you work the spare into the rotation that it will evenly wear so you don't have to be concerned about it being drastically different if you actually need it. Personally I think the Bronco will handle the slight variation just fine for the short time until the bad tire can be fixed. Let's be honest we've all seen that car driving down the road with the silly looking (small) donut. The variation isn't going to hurt in the short term.

That's my thinking. I'm open to hearing other peoples counter opinions.
I like.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I keep my rotation diagram in my glovebox (since theres multiple ways) and every 5k miles @Discount Tire will rotate for free. Great deal for both, becuase when I'm ready to get new tires, they are the ones I'll purchase from. All our cars go to Discount. Plus if you don't like the tire, I guess you can still throw it through the window... lol the young kids may not get that joke...

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I posted about this in another thread - here is the math to back it up : https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-cover-or-no.53531/page-3

If you're trying to get the most out of your money, the answer is it depends on how long you are keeping your Bronco.

If you are selling your car before you want to buy new tires then 5 tire rotation is the way to go. Assuming you sell before you have to buy the second set. the 5th tire will extend that time period.

If you are keeping your car for longer than your tires are going to last, than 4 tire rotation is the way to go, and swapping out the spare when you get new tires, so the spare doesn't get too old. This is the cheaper way to go.

The other exception comes in, if you want to get a completely different tire, than you can either do the 5 tire rotation, or 4 tire and sell the 5th tire at the end. Dealers choice -

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you think of using anti-seize on the threads of the lugs?
I would spot weld them... lol just joking. With 113NM torque they aren't going anywhere. Just double check after the first 50 miles or so...
Sponsored