Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey guys, just gonna use this thread here to post updates on my build as it slowly progresses. I live in NorCal near a ton of trails such as the Rubicon, Slick Rock, Fordyce, etc. I co-mod for Goldcountrybroncos which is NorCals largest Bronco group. I have a 21 Bronco Big Bend Sasquatch with the tow package and mid package.

I come from a jeeping background and own a built 96 Cherokee on Ford axles that has conquered the Rubicon several times as well as a 58 FC-150 that is a one of a kind build. I'm all about beef before show and do supporting mods before throwing on big tires and lifts. My priorities are articulation, usable lift for clearance and armor. My Bronco is my family camper but I'm also intending on bringing it to the rocks, desert and dunes. I have owned my Bronco for almost a year now and take it wheeling almost weekly. Moab is happening this September/October an after that is when the build will start taking off a lot more as i'm almost done with the supporting mods before I dive into 37's. Stay tuned and i'll answer any questions ya'll have. I've been taking this year of ownership to learn and understand IFS and how to address the steering concerns associated with lifting and driving on 37's. I do not intend on just throwing on a 3-4 inch lift and calling it good. I will post real world opinions and my experiences in the off-road setting. My intention is low center of gravity and getting 37's to clear without a lift first and then adding a small suspension lift that only goes up 1-2 inches but articulates up and down more then stock. I'm looking at Broncobuster, Radflo, JKS max tire clearance and DV8 inner fender liners. Stay tuned!

Also check out my instagram @popo_patty for lots of bronco content with our group off-roading.

DSC00051.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One of the first things I turned too was storage solutions. Now I have a baby and dog that I take sometimes camping and whatnot. I've always been intrigued by the Goose Gear and American Adventure Lab setups but the fact is, I can't put a stroller or pack n play in the back let alone a dog with those setups. Instead I installed the JCR MOLLE panels along with their pet divider. I grabbed 2 cheap amazon camping chairs and have them strapped into the MOLLE and keep my fishing pole mounted as well. I also keep a hatchet and first aid kit mounted. The pet divider is awesome, it keeps my dog in the back seat but also keeps comping gear from flying forward at my baby. If I need too, I can fold one of the seats down to gain storage room.

I also purchased these velcro seat backers from Amazon that just set unto the carpet backing on the seats. No more dog hair and mud in my seat backs!

I also purchased a spare tie rod and keep that in the storage spot with the jack under the trunk mat.

If you're wondering how my trunk is so bright, I installed the Oracle trunk light bar in the soft top. It was a very simple install and is amazing for lighting up the back as you can see. I made a youtube video on the install.

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader tempImageZYoKl4

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For myself, I don't buy a lot of expensive equipment, I buy what works and what is easily maintained or replaced (which is sometimes expensive)I really wanted ditch lights but was loath to spend $600 on lights. I picked up these Harbor Freight lights for $80. 2200 lumens each which is plenty for pod lights for what I do. The factory harness worked with my Aux switches.
So far after almost a year of wheeling in high temps, in snow, rain and dust they are still going strong with no yellowing or fogging up. I’m pleasantly surprised.
Ford Bronco The basic off-roader tempImageYlZtmr

Last edited:

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Guess I'm not a "true off-roader". Whatever that is. :(

Do you offer certification for true off-roaders? I want to be cool and join the club. /s

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Issue with the cheap ditch lights that I've found is in northern climates they don't seem to last long with hot summers and negative degree temps in winter.

Love your trunk setup! Looking forward to updates

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Issue with the cheap ditch lights that I've found is in northern climates they don't seem to last long with hot summers and negative degree temps in winter.

Love your trunk setup! Looking forward to updates
I have cheapos from AliExpress. I disassembled one before installing and saw the same CREE LEDs that everyone else uses. It's clearly a cheaper housing and optic, but its getting the job done. I got ditch lights (clear floods), two pairs of amber spots, and one pair of amber floods for $183 shipped. That store on AliExpress is no longer available so I'm assuming they got sued out of business. It did open my eyes to the kind of margins available to these other makers. Always makes me laugh that folks charge not only more, but a serious premium for replacement technologies that are far cheaper to produce.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have cheapos from AliExpress. I disassembled one before installing and saw the same CREE LEDs that everyone else uses. It's clearly a cheaper housing and optic, but its getting the job done. I got ditch lights (clear floods), two pairs of amber spots, and one pair of amber floods for $183 shipped. That store on AliExpress is no longer available so I'm assuming they got sued out of business. It did open my eyes to the kind of margins available to these other makers. Always makes me laugh that folks charge not only more, but a serious premium for replacement technologies that are far cheaper to produce.
I agree on the chip and led may be the same but the housing and weatherproofing for you in SD won't matter as much, but in IL it does because of the severe weather we get. I've tried several cheapos from Amazon over the years and all failed after first winter. They looked great and were bright but the housing wasn't strong enough for the 90+ summers and -15 Winter days.

WonkyBronky

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
LOL "true off-roader" sounds like "cheap off-roader" here. Decent build so far and look forward to more Instragram worthy progress to show us how it's done.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you offer certification for true off-roaders? I want to be cool and join the club. /s
Hahaha, not meant to be an attack. Just my take. Just wanted the thread name to stand out is all;)

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hahaha, not meant to be an attack. Just my take. Just wanted the thread name to stand out is all;)
It's the first words of post #3 and real turn-off.

Most drivers I meet on the trails are friendly and inclusive, no matter what you drive. Sure, they may rib you if your truck looks like an IG model fully kitted with the latest part$, but they don't act like gate-keepers to an exclusive club.

And, I'm not saying you're like that. I'm fairly certain if we met on the trail we'd check out each others' rigs, swap some stories, and offer assistance if either needed it. (y)

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree on the chip and led may be the same but the housing and weatherproofing for you in SD won't matter as much, but in IL it does because of the severe weather we get. I've tried several cheapos from Amazon over the years and all failed after first winter. They looked great and were bright but the housing wasn't strong enough for the 90+ summers and -15 Winter days.
So true. The swings we get this time of year even are crazy. 65 one day 95 the next.

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ditto... I'm hoping that any minute now we'll learn how to properly mount our recovery boards, jerry cans, Hi-Lift jacks, battery management systems, and the litany of other "me too" items that now seem mandated to be an off-roader. Where is my popcorn?!

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ditto... I'm hoping that any minute now we'll learn how to properly mount our recovery boards, jerry cans, Hi-Lift jacks, battery management systems, and the litany of other "me too" items that now seem mandated to be an off-roader. Where is my popcorn?!
Um, bro...where's your winch? You have to have a winch to pull my fatarse out of the truck after my off road micky d runs.
Sponsored