steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ditto... I'm hoping that any minute now we'll learn how to properly mount our recovery boards, jerry cans, Hi-Lift jacks, battery management systems, and the litany of other "me too" items that now seem mandated to be an off-roader. Where is my popcorn?!
to be fair to the OP, he's seems more about building your own rig (vs bolt-ons) and not being caught up with the current me-too, top dollar, brand (vs functional products).

his words stuck out to me, but I don't think he meant it that way. I'm thinking it's more about taking your rig on the trails vs kitting your rig with trail mods, but never or rarely leaving pavement.
Sponsored

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just need to join Instagram. Bingo, you are now a "true off-roader" šŸ˜†
lol, truth. You ainā€™t wheeling unless youā€™re graming! ;)

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

to be fair to the OP, he's seems more about building your own rig (vs bolt-ons) and not being caught up with the current me-too, top dollar, brand (vs functional products).

his words stuck out to me, but I don't think he meant it that way. I'm thinking it's more about taking your rig on the trails vs kitting your rig with trail mods, but never or rarely leaving pavement.
Yea I fixed it. I realized how it sounds and thatā€™s not how I meant to come across. My apologies all

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea I fixed it. I realized how it sounds and thatā€™s not how I meant to come across. My apologies all
sorry for causing a shit storm. hope this is the end of it.

following for future mod updates...

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Guess I'm not a "true off-roader". Whatever that is. :(

Do you offer certification for true off-roaders? I want to be cool and join the club. /s
Iā€™m working on a card ;) jk jk. Iā€™m also working on how to word things carefully as I apparently suck at wording things.

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

sorry for causing a shit storm. hope this is the end of it.

following for future mod updates...
Thanks, yea I totally didnā€™t realize how it read (I wrote most of this after a beer at midnight). I read it this morning and was like crap. I fixed it. My bad all.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

LOL "true off-roader" sounds like "cheap off-roader" here. Decent build so far and look forward to more Instragram worthy progress to show us how it's done.
I am part of the silent minority on Gold Country Broncos. Welcome to the other side, we are not as nice a social media, see you at the mall!
You should come out on a trip! Itā€™s a really good group of people! Hecka fun.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Something I wrongly assumed all Sasquatch Broncos had was the additional armor on the trailing arm bracket. Unfortunately that was not the case and I quickly dented the thin metal on a rock. I have some amazing friends at a local 4x4 shop that welded on some cool metal skids and I have bashed them several times since without an issue. This mod was free but I expect a shop wouldn't charge much to weld these on.

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader tempImageIJH26j

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader tempImagewlloGa

Last edited:
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Same shop (Hunters 4x4) fabbed up some sick rock sliders that bolt into my frame but also are weldable. Have used them a few times on some local trails and they work great.

FD375BFA-7030-4044-A565-B82D3C749708.JPG

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any base Bronco is a basic off-roader

Sponsored

jacobrdoty

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT (Bagged and Boosted) x 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey I know this guy!

Will be fun to follow along as you add more. Looking forward to hanging/wheeling Saturday!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something I wrongly assumed all Sasquatch Broncos had was the additional armor on the trailing arm bracket. Unfortunately that was not the case and I quickly dented the thin metal on a rock. I have some amazing friends at a local 4x4 shop that welded on some cool metal skids and I have bashed them several times since without an issue. This mod was free but I expect a shop wouldn't charge much to weld these on.

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader FD375BFA-7030-4044-A565-B82D3C749708.JPG

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader FD375BFA-7030-4044-A565-B82D3C749708.JPG
These and the rear shock mounts need some extra material. I like this better than a bolt on option.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Alrighty, so I took a chance on Rough Country's front high clearance bumper. Couple reasons why are mainly because I have the RC hidden winch (which is super beefy, bolted to the frame rails and works VERY well). I wanted a bumper that worked with that and duh, the RC bumper should work. It was also cheap and very light. Im really big on weight savings and I also didnt want a bumper that held the winch up super high or placed it way out in front looking like an ugly chin and ruining approach angles.

Anyway, I ordered the bumper the day it came out. I got it quick and right away realized that the quality of this bumper was no where near their winch mount. Their hidden winch mount is hands down, amazing and I highly recommend it. It bolts to the frame rails with plenty of beef, keeps the winch low and doesnt take away much if any real clearance. The skid plate underneath it provided by RC is steel and very thick. Has taken a beating with no damage. I had an RC winch with it but that failed on the first water crossing. I have since installed a Warn VR10S and that has been amazing.

The bumper was thin metal, the side pieces didn't match up quite right and look like the first real hit will fold them. The bumper was advertised to match right up with the winch mount but I had to grind a sizeable bit of metal off the mount to make it fit. Also, the lightbar didn't fit and that was a huge ordeal to get it in. After I got it in, I realized my lightbar didn't work and within a month, one of the RC fog lights has condensation. That is fixable of course but its annoying. I made a little video on the install, I'm not much of a typer nor a video guy so sorry for the quality. To be fair, others have since installed it and theirs all fit together perfectly so I'm guessing I had a bad apple. Either way though I can't recommend their bumper though I highly recommend their winch mount!

The bumper does look good I will say and provides a lot of tire clearance and tucks up nicely to the body lines, preserving the approach angle. I am looking at other bumpers now such as the DV8 Competition, my only concern is how it will mate up with the winch mount but I guess there is only one way to find out.

I also highly recommend the RC frame mounted front tow points. They bolt into the frame and are very strong compared to the bumper ones I have seen. I have used them extensively with no issues.

Ford Bronco The basic off-roader IMG_4155.JPG

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Guess I'm not a "true off-roader". Whatever that is. :(

Do you offer certification for true off-roaders? I want to be cool and join the club. /s
People who off-road seriously just...do it. I enjoy it, and am on a learning curve myself, learning from my accomplishments...and mistakes. I wanted to venture deep into some desolate west Utah desert, but got hit with 3 flats in 5 days! (Goodyear 35" MTs on factory Sasquatch) and decided it wasn't worth the risk without a buddy vehicle. I figure I need a $eriou$ tire repair kit and compr$$or. So it goes.
The guy at my install shop said, "90% of what I put on never goes on a trail."

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People who off-road seriously just...do it. I enjoy it, and am on a learning curve myself, learning from my accomplishments...and mistakes. I wanted to venture deep into some desolate west Utah desert, but got hit with 3 flats in 5 days! (Goodyear 35" MTs on factory Sasquatch) and decided it wasn't worth the risk without a buddy vehicle. I figure I need a $eriou$ tire repair kit and compr$$or. So it goes.
The guy at my install shop said, "90% of what I put on never goes on a trail."
It was a miss-word by the OP and my own bias for interpreting it that way.
From the OP's first couple posts, he seems like a serious off roader with multiple rigs and all the similar people I've met on the trail love talking shop, enjoy looking over other's rigs, and encourage others to go out and enjoy the trails.

3 flats! Ouch, that sucks. I've not been a fan of the GY Territories since before I owned them. They do seem to have decent traction but not very good durability.
I put Cooper ST Maxx on my last off roader (the gwagen) because after researching them they seemed very durable. I never had an issue. Also loved the Cooper AT3's I put on my Cayenne Turbo before the ST Maxx on the gwagen.

I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Made by Cooper with the same 3ply sidewall (Armor Tek3). They add 3 peak mountain snowflake rating which is reassuring in the USA NE winters. The ST Maxx were great in snow, even without the rating.

I always carry a tire plug kit. I don't see me changing a tire on the trail if I can fix it with a plug, or 2 or 10. I used the Viair 88p up until a couple weeks ago when I installed an ARB twin under the hood. Overkill, but I feel like kitting out my Bronco.

I've not used my tire plug kit, but this is the one I purchased. $27 right now on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X15JJ4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the viair 88p, $89 right now on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit to add:
In the spirit of this thread, you don't always need the high dollar parts. $1200+ for my ARB setup is marginally better than the $90 Viair. It will take me a little less time to air up my tires with a 4 way system, ARB twin compressor, and the ARB pressure control, but not $1000+ quicker.
Sponsored

Last edited: