New Ford Patent Shows Fully Removable Roof and Cage Like Original Bronco

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As with motorcycles.. my concern isnt my driving skills, it’s the others around me. Here in Ohio we have some brutally awful drivers.
Total risk includes all factors. Unless you're alone on a perfectly-prepared racetrack, there are always external factors.

I do ride street bikes less often nowadays, and usually to get to a trailhead. But I spent many years commuting and cross-country touring. There is a virtually unlimited number of possible threat vectors, some of them are unaddressable with prior planning and/or unmanageable once in extremis.

My point was, we engage in risky behavior fairly regularly, and a full top or roll cage is no guarantee of safety. There are some sacrifices of the experience I'll make in the name of safety - never riding without gear, etc - but if the "open air" experience of the Bronco is done poorly, whether for safety or any other reason, I'll pass. The '71 has the motor out now, just trying to settle on a transmission and I can be quite happy with that machine.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... important concept to understand
I don't recall implying that if every gibbering idiot on the road did it there wouldn't be problems. You seem to have missed this part ... ":turkey:"

As a general sentiment I've expressed plenty of times before, I think most people are increasingly dependent on various nannies to think for them and provide a false sense of security, whether they be legal or technological in nature ... a general inability to think outside the box and do what they like or needs to be done without someone else "permitting" it.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't recall implying that if every gibbering idiot on the road did it there wouldn't be problems. You seem to have missed this part ... ":turkey:"

As a general sentiment I've expressed plenty of times before, I think most people are increasingly dependent on various nannies to think for them and provide a false sense of security, whether they be legal or technological in nature ... a general inability to think outside the box and do what they like or needs to be done without someone else "permitting" it.
I would say some people have increasingly engineered much of the real risk/adventure from their lives. And as a kind of proxy, these people often rely on professionals or watching others have real/fake adventure via various media. Jeep taps into this psyche, by selling Rubicons with 4:1 tcase gearing and locking axles, to people who will never have a need for that stuff, but want to feel like they do when driving to the grocery store. Kind of like expensive grown up play acting, lol.

Also people can be quite different in terms of risk aversion, anywhere from milquetoast to full on "darwin award". And people are often flawed at risk assessment. For example, it's well establish that items viewed as out of the ordinary or sensational, tend to be perceived as a greater risk.

Personally, my concern about risk from an unboltable roll cage is right up there with concern over a Martian invasion. :)

Guidr3

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello Allstate can you give me a quote on a topless bronco? “Hello. Hello!

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's too much Nanny/Warning Labels/Etc.... these days. If someone does something that gets them killed, so be it, because all of these Nanny/Warning Labels/Etc... have caused the human gene pool to become corrupt with an ever growing number of people who have little or no common sense.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There's too much Nanny/Warning Labels/Etc.... these days. If someone does something that gets them killed, so be it, because all of these Nanny/Warning Labels/Etc... have caused the human gene pool to become corrupt with an ever growing number of people who have little or no common sense.
Our population can be easily segmented in 3 groups:
  • people who have little or no common sense
  • lawyers
  • you & me
Add to the equation that most folks have zero understanding of where money comes from, war on corporations (just ask a firearm manufacturer), and the belief that there's a lot of free stuff floating around & Some of it Must be Mine...and we are needlessly paying billions of extra cost on everything we buy.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say some people have increasingly engineered much of the real risk/adventure from their lives. And as a kind of proxy, these people often rely on professionals or watching others have real/fake adventure via various media. Jeep taps into this psyche, by selling Rubicons with 4:1 tcase gearing and locking axles, to people who will never have a need for that stuff, but want to feel like they do when driving to the grocery store. Kind of like expensive grown up play acting, lol.
I would say that's one half of the Wrangler's success, the other is that it's a usable SUV that's a convertible so people feel like they can get the open air feeling of a roadster in a rugged looking utility vehicle that they can take camping and pick up the kids in. I recall an executive for Porsche saying people were trading in their Boxsters and Caymans primarily for Wranglers, so this is a compromise sports car for people. I think that explains all these patents, if Ford wants Wrangler sales one of the best ways to do that is to do convertible driving better, more open air and easier conversion.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
and we are needlessly paying billions of extra cost on everything we buy.
I read in the past few days that something like 13% of the money you spend on products is purely for legal costs to defend against class action lawsuits. Absurd.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would say that's one half of the Wrangler's success, the other is that it's a usable SUV that's a convertible so people feel like they can get the open air feeling of a roadster in a rugged looking utility vehicle that they can take camping and pick up the kids in. I recall an executive for Porsche saying people were trading in their Boxsters and Caymans primarily for Wranglers, so this is a compromise sports car for people. I think that explains all these patents, if Ford wants Wrangler sales one of the best ways to do that is to do convertible driving better, more open air and easier conversion.
Agreed. And also the Wrangler being more rugged, the owner can have kids climbing all over it and take more utility abuse, enjoying the open top. Throw a canoe or lumber on the roll cage, compared to other open top cars. So every Wrangler owner isn't buying for off-road usage. I hope the new Bronco Bronco (or whatever they will call it) is flexible with some of these attributes, appealing to wide audience.

But Jeep Rubicon model - what is the point if not using what was paid for in thousands extra. A 4:1 tcase and locking axle capability which is never actually needed? At that point it's more like expensive play acting for adults. Some enterprising person should start selling Rubicon stickers for people who have no need for the other stuff - save people money. :)

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But Jeep Rubicon model - what is the point if not using what was paid for in thousands extra. A 4:1 tcase and locking axle capability which is never actually needed? At that point it's more like expensive play acting for adults.
Only thousands extra? To cater to ego? People pay exponential figures for that. Thousands are cheap money.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... Some enterprising person should start selling Rubicon stickers for people who have no need for the other stuff - save people money. :)
Plenty of those exist already. You can slap a Rubicon sticker on a Sport or a FIAT 500 if you want.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would say that's one half of the Wrangler's success,
The 3rd part is you can make a wrangler look rediculous pretty easily and attention is all many really want..........

20191210_155530.jpg
Sponsored