Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Living in Michigan, it was always my intention to remove the Bestop soft top that I installed this summer once Fall hit and reinstall my original factory hard top, though I didn't encounter much information about how that process would go. Before I purchased, I contacted Bestop support about it and was told it was possible to remove it for the season and that it should take about 1.5 hours. They said that they did not have any documentation on how to do it unfortunately. It doesn't make sense to follow the original installation instructions in reverse because much of that process involves the initial assembly of the bows and top structure, which does not need to be undone. So yesterday I took it upon myself to figure out the minimal amount of steps to accomplish the removal and get me to a point where I can reinstall my hard top, and took photos along the way in hopes that it might help someone looking for that information later (or perhaps me next year when I need to do this again). All said, even with stopping to take photos I had the top completely removed in less than an hour and I think next year I could easily do it in about a half hour.

NOTE: These instructions are for moving from the Bestop to factory hard top. If your vehicle originally came with the OEM soft top, some of the brackets along the top may be different than what's described here.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6262

Step 1: Remove soft top rear windows
Flip up the velcro top flap along the rear and sides. Open the tailgate and remove the rear window by lifting the bottom support bar out toward you and pulling the sides out of their channels. Once loose slide the top of the rear window out by moving it either left or right. The side windows have a red snap that attaches them to the tailgate; disconnect these. Work the bottom and front edges out of their channels until only the top is attached, and slide the whole window toward the rear of the vehicle to remove.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6264

Step 2: Disconnect all velcro connections around bows from the inside and fold back
Open up the velcro straps on each bow and tuck them above. I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary but seems to give the whole assembly more flexibility for removal. Fold back soft top for remaining removal process, giving you access to all the bolts you will need to remove

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6270

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6265

Step 3: Disconnect rear bow assembly

Using a T40 socket and wrench, disconnect the rear bow assembly from the vehicle by removing the four bolts. Retain these for future reinstallation.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6266

Step 4: Disconnect rear halo

The rear halo is attached to the speaker pods. Using a T30, remove these bolts on both left and right. You'll need to reinstall these OEM bolts to hold the speaker pods to the frame after sliding the bracket out of place.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6269

Step 5: Remove rear bracket bolts
Using a T50 socket, remove these bolts and retain these for future reinstallation.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6267

Step 6: Remove remaining bolts along top rail
Using a T50 socket, remove the four remaining OEM bolts holding the middle and front brackets on the vehicle. These will all need to be reinstalled, so retain them and remember that the shortest bolt is used on the hole closest to the front of the vehicle. Make note of the positioning of the lower OEM top rail bracket and make sure it gets reinstalled for proper hard top operation (there's an arrow that shows you which way goes toward the front if you forget). Retain all plastic washers for future reinstallation.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6268

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6275

Step 7: Remove soft top from vehicle
This is the one part I thought it was necessary to have another person, and preferably both of you are tall enough to clear the top above the vehicle (even more true for SAS owners). Fold the entire rear halo assembly over the top of the the bows to make the soft top as small as possible. With a partner on each side of the vehicle lift the entire assembly straight up from the vehicle. The foam insulation may be somewhat stuck along the top rail; just continue with gentle pressure upwards to release it. Walk the whole assembly toward the rear and away from the vehicle. You can also remove the front-most top rail section at this time and reinstall all OEM bolts.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6271

Step 8: Remove vertical window retainers
On the C-pillar, remove the plastic window retainer bolts using a T30 socket. Retain these for future installation. The plastic retainer piece should slide out easily though it might be attached at the top with some foam adhesive, so just carefully peel that away from the vehicle. Find the original OEM T30 bolts that were removed from the C-pillar during initial install and reinsert them (you did remember to save those, right??)

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6274

Step 9: Remove tailgate brackets
Using a T50 socket, remove the four bolts along each side. These are OEM bolts that you will use to reinstall the hard top, so hang on to them. Remove the T30 bolts from the inside of the tailgate toward the back. Retain these for future installation. The rear tailgate brackets can now be removed as one piece revealing the insulation and vinyl wrap that was used during initial install. This all can be left on the vehicle and used in conjunction with the hard top.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6272

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6273

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6279

Step 10: Reinstall hard top
Place the hard top shell back on the vehicle. Using the 8 T50 OEM hard top shell bolts removed during the previous step along with two additional OEM bolts which you hopefully retained during initial install of the Bestop (used along top rail), reconnect the hard top shell to the vehicle. You can see in the photo below that the tailgate insulation does not interfere with the use of the hard top and in fact may even provide an additional level of noise insulation in that area. At this point all that remains is to find a spot to store the main soft top assembly, brackets and hardware for winter and to count the days until next summer. Hope you found this helpful!

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6281

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6280
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is something I've been wondering about for some time, and figured I'd have to make the guesses myself next spring, when the hardtop will go back on. Thanks for the great work!

Did Bestop say anything about replacing the soft parts?

JR

Classic28

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks very much for this write up. This is what I plan to do when I get my bronco.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Living in Michigan, it was always my intention to remove the Bestop soft top that I installed this summer once Fall hit and reinstall my original factory hard top, though I didn't encounter much information about how that process would go. Before I purchased, I contacted Bestop support about it and was told it was possible to remove it for the season and that it should take about 1.5 hours. They said that they did not have any documentation on how to do it unfortunately. It doesn't make sense to follow the original installation instructions in reverse because much of that process involves the initial assembly of the bows and top structure, which does not need to be undone. So yesterday I took it upon myself to figure out the minimal amount of steps to accomplish the removal and get me to a point where I can reinstall my hard top, and took photos along the way in hopes that it might help someone looking for that information later (or perhaps me next year when I need to do this again). All said, even with stopping to take photos I had the top completely removed in less than an hour and I think next year I could easily do it in about a half hour.

NOTE: These instructions are for moving from the Bestop to factory hard top. If your vehicle originally came with the OEM soft top, some of the brackets along the top may be different than what's described here.

Ford Bronco Removing Bestop 4 door Trektop for seasonal storage - complete DIY how-to instructions w/ photos IMG_6280

Flip up the velcro top flap along the rear and sides. Open the tailgate and remove the rear window by lifting the bottom support bar out toward you and pulling the sides out of their channels. Once loose slide the top of the rear window out by moving it either left or right. The side windows have a red snap that attaches them to the tailgate; disconnect these. Work the bottom and front edges out of their channels until only the top is attached, and slide the whole window toward the rear of the vehicle to remove.

Step 2: Disconnect all velcro connections around bows from the inside and fold back
Open up the velcro straps on each bow and tuck them above. I'm not sure if this is entirely necessary but seems to give the whole assembly more flexibility for removal. Fold back soft top for remaining removal process, giving you access to all the bolts you will need to remove

Using a T40 socket and wrench, disconnect the rear bow assembly from the vehicle by removing the four bolts. Retain these for future reinstallation.

The rear halo is attached to the speaker pods. Using a T30, remove these bolts on both left and right. You'll need to reinstall these OEM bolts to hold the speaker pods to the frame after sliding the bracket out of place.

Using a T50 socket, remove these bolts and retain these for future reinstallation.

Using a T50 socket, remove the four remaining OEM bolts holding the middle and front brackets on the vehicle. These will all need to be reinstalled, so retain them and remember that the shortest bolt is used on the hole closest to the front of the vehicle. Make note of the positioning of the lower OEM top rail bracket and make sure it gets reinstalled for proper hard top operation (there's an arrow that shows you which way goes toward the front if you forget). Retain all plastic washers for future reinstallation.

This is the one part I thought it was necessary to have another person, and preferably both of you are tall enough to clear the top above the vehicle (even more true for SAS owners). Fold the entire rear halo assembly over the top of the the bows to make the soft top as small as possible. With a partner on each side of the vehicle lift the entire assembly straight up from the vehicle. The foam insulation may be somewhat stuck along the top rail; just continue with gentle pressure upwards to release it. Walk the whole assembly toward the rear and away from the vehicle. You can also remove the front-most top rail section at this time and reinstall all OEM bolts.

On the C-pillar, remove the plastic window retainer bolts using a T30 socket. Retain these for future installation. The plastic retainer piece should slide out easily though it might be attached at the top with some foam adhesive, so just carefully peel that away from the vehicle. Find the original OEM T30 bolts that were removed from the C-pillar during initial install and reinsert them (you did remember to save those, right??)

Using a T50 socket, remove the four bolts along each side. These are OEM bolts that you will use to reinstall the hard top, so hang on to them. Remove the T30 bolts from the inside of the tailgate toward the back. Retain these for future installation. The rear tailgate brackets can now be removed as one piece revealing the insulation and vinyl wrap that was used during initial install. This all can be left on the vehicle and used in conjunction with the hard top.

Place the hard top shell back on the vehicle. Using the 8 T50 OEM hard top shell bolts removed during the previous step along with two additional OEM bolts which you hopefully retained during initial install of the Bestop (used along top rail), reconnect the hard top shell to the vehicle. You can see in the photo below that the tailgate insulation does not interfere with the use of the hard top and in fact may even provide an additional level of noise insulation in that area. At this point all that remains is to find a spot to store the main soft top assembly, brackets and hardware for winter and to count the days until next summer. Hope you found this helpful!

Nice writeup! Good looking Bronco too! Thanks!

Sponsored
OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is something I've been wondering about for some time, and figured I'd have to make the guesses myself next spring, when the hardtop will go back on. Thanks for the great work!

Did Bestop say anything about replacing the soft parts?

JR
I was thinking that it seems like they should offer just the foam and vinyl parts for someone who wants to replace those pieces each year or for resale purposes. I didn’t ask them about it, and currently plan to repurpose what I got, but might reconsider that if needed.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It amazes me, when it was so easy to take the soft top all the way off a TJ and a JK in minutes, how both the current Jeeps and the Bronco make it so much harder and time consuming.

OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It amazes me, when it was so easy to take the soft top all the way off a TJ and a JK in minutes, how both the current Jeeps and the Bronco make it so much harder and time consuming.
I would have liked the process to be a bit easier, similar to how easily it works for the OEM soft top. Up to this point I was even considering whether I would want to reinstall it next year or just sell the Bestop and live without it.

That said the process wasn't as bad as I imagined and if it takes me less than an hour twice a year then I can handle that for the freedom and convenience the soft top offers (not to mention I think it looks pretty great in comparison to OEM offering).

The only real struggle I think I'll have is when I want to put roof rails back on in the summer when I have to soft top installed, which will require a reinstall of the hard top first. For a quick weekend trip it might end up being more of a pain than I'd want to deal with, so I'll give it another year and see how things go.

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was thinking that it seems like they should offer just the foam and vinyl parts for someone who wants to replace those pieces each year or for resale purposes. I didn’t ask them about it, and currently plan to repurpose what I got, but might reconsider that if needed.
So did you remove any of the foam or vinyl, or just leave them in place?

JR

OP
OP
edernest

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So did you remove any of the foam or vinyl, or just leave them in place?

JR
I didn't remove any of the foam, it all stayed attached to the vehicle or assembly where it was originally affixed. The only exception was the small foam piece on top of the C-pillar window retainer which was affixed to both the Bestop plastic and the vehicle trim. I had to peel that off the vehicle trim and left the rest attached to the window retainer, which will probably be fine next year since it gets squished by the installation of the bracket anyway.

I included a photo of what the tailgate looks like with the vinyl and insulation left on. I think it looks presentable as it is and you barely notice from a side view (and not at all with the hard top attached).

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great job and thank you for the contribution! Some clear pics and instructions on the internet... amazing.

...but what are these "seasons" you speak of? Hurricane season? Snowbird season? Are snowbirds squatting on Bronco soft tops and not coming down until you hit 45mph?

DumbAzzGuard

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4, Escort
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very well done. Thanks for this

HokieinMI

Black Diamond
First Name
Susie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Black Diamond 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great write up! My Trektop is in boxes in my garage. At this point I'm going to leave it in the boxes until the spring. When the bronco (finally!) gets here, I'll keep the hard top on for the winter and make the switch when it gets warm again. I plan to do the same switch back and forth a few times a year.

Bronc69

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, 2022 X3 (wife's), 2015 GTI (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the HT on order with my Wildtrack and will get a Besttop ST since it's MUCH cheaper to get the ST.
How long did the entire process take?
TY for the write-up!

SasBLSven

Badlands
First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a company or does bestop make a soft top that is easier to remove? I remember my shift to on my Jeep was 4 bolts and lifted off the brackets.
Sponsored