First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey guys these have now been launched so I'm converting this from a Sneak Peek thread into our official product thread for these tie rods. The New Product Announcement for these went out to our dealer network this morning so you should start seeing them popping up on various websites soon, including our own. As for availability, the first batch is done and being packaged in our warehouse now, and first shipments should be going out within the next few days. We're not sure how much pent-up demand there is so keep an eye on ours or your favorite ICON dealers' website to order as early as possible. One other note before I paste in the text of the NPA below is that we brought a '23 Wildtrak in to the shop yesterday to confirm fitment with HOSS 3.0 equipment and it fits great. You have to stretch the boot slightly to get it over the end of the H3.0 rack but it works fine.

NEW PRODUCT
XD Forged Tie Rods for Ford Bronco

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 45212_Lifestyle01-1200w

ICON is proud to introduce our XD Forged Tie Rod Kit for the 6th Generation Ford Bronco. The strength limitations of the Bronco's factory steering tie rods has been well documented, especially by Bronco owners who venture into the big rocks with big tires. These ICON XD Forged Tie Rods remedy this with better materials and beefier dimensions than the stock units.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Early production runs include erroneous "L" & "R" markings on the outer tie-rod forgings. DISREGARD these as they are incorrect. The correct installation is with the bend in the forging pointing rearward. For any questions please contact ICON Customer Service.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 144037_144038_Bronco_TieRods_3QTR2_web_large

The inner tie rod and ball stud is CNC machined from 4140 chromoly. The adjustment threads, where we've seen most of the failures happen on stock tie rods, are 18mm on the XD Forged Tie Rods versus 14mm on stock Bronco tie rods and 16mm on HOSS 3.0 tie rods.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 144037_144038_Bronco_TieRods_TOP2_web_large

The outer tie rod is forged steel and has the same shape as the stock tie rods for fitting all of the Bronco's factory wheel diameters and offsets, along with just about any aftermarket wheel. The tie rod end is a beefier, metal on metal joint that is greasable for extended service life. It has the same range of operating angle as the stock tie rod ends.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 144037_144038_Bronco_TieRods_STRT_high_res-modified

ā€¢ 45212 21-UP FORD BRONCO XD FORGED TIE ROD KIT

KEY FEATURES:
  • 30% larger diameter then factory HOSS 1.0/2.0 tie rods
  • Forged steel outer tie rod
  • 4140 chromoly inner tie rod and ball stud
  • Greaseable heavy duty automotive tie rod ends
  • Design to fit around factory wheel offsets
  • Includes replacement tie rod boots
TECH INFO
  • Works with OE HOSS1.0/2.0 and HOSS 3.0 steering racks
  • Not compatible with Bronco Raptor
  • Not compatible with aftermarket tie rod braces

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 45212_Installed01-1200w

-------------------------
The original Sneak Peek post is below:

Hey guys I thought I'd post a few spy pics of something we've been working on here at ICON that we've hinted at elsewhere. This is our Extreme Duty Forged Tie Rod, shown in these photos next to a stock Bronco tie rod.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_4213.JPEG

The adjustment threads, where we've seen most of the failures happen on stock tie rods, is 18mm versus 14mm on stock Bronco tie rods.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_4215.JPEG

The outer tie rod is forged steel and has the same bend as factory tie rods for fitting all of the stock factory wheel diameters and offsets, along with just about any aftermarket wheel.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_4219.JPEG

The tie rod end joint is beefier, metal on metal and greasable. It has the same operating range of angle as the stock unit.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_4218.JPEG

The inner ball stud is machined from 4140 chromoly.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_4216.JPEG

Not shown but the tie rods will come with a boot and other associated bits. These photos are of our first prototypes, which we will be displayed at the SEMA show in a couple of weeks. If you're going to be at SEMA, look for them in the ICON booth or in the New Products Showcase if you'd like to check them out in person. We're thinking the first production run will be done and ready to ship sometime in January. Pricing should end up somewhere in the $350 range for the complete kit (both sides). These will work with all HOSS 1.0 and HOSS 2.0 equipped Broncos (basically everything except Bronco Raptor and HOSS 3.0-equipped Wildtrak).

Please note that this is a sneak peek at a product that has not yet been released or announced to our dealers so if you inquire they won't know anything about it yet other than what they may have seen here. They'll get the official info and announcement when the time is right but we wanted to give you guys an early look since these are going to be at SEMA anyhow, and they have some relevance to the discussions that have been going on over in our Coilovers thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Could you give us a comp to the HOSS 3.0/ Raptor tie rods? Iā€™m curious how these compare to those.
So are we. But we haven't been able to get our hands on a Raptor yet :)

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not mechanically inclined, but am technologically inclined, I do computer stuff all day long (hardware/software). Curious how difficult it'll be to swap these out in my garage. I only have the jack that came with the Bronco, will I need to order a proper jack to put the truck in the air to do this? Would it be easier to just take it to a shop or dealership to install these?

Thank you for making these, looking forward to some upgrades.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Those are awesome! Do they work with your Coilovers as well?

Sponsored

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not mechanically inclined, but am technologically inclined, I do computer stuff all day long (hardware/software). Curious how difficult it'll be to swap these out in my garage. I only have the jack that came with the Bronco, will I need to order a proper jack to put the truck in the air to do this? Would it be easier to just take it to a shop or dealership to install these?

They are not a difficult swap. I did my passenger on a trail in the woods in about 1.5hrs from broke to fixed. I put in a ranger tie rod and then swapped to an oem one when I got home. Took about 30 mins in my garage. Will have to get an alignment afterwards of course.

I do have plenty of experience wrenching on cars though.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

^^^ wizarded

I've changed many a things on garage floors. I don't think its too hard.

these ends look beefy, I haven't broken mine (Thank God) but it helps knowing there are aftermarkets now

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21'+ 22" Broncos, Lexus GX470, Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those are awesome! Do they work with your Coilovers as well?
Yeah these are the reason our coilovers have a bit less room for aftermarket tie rod braces than other MFG's coilovers. We had these in the works as our answer to the weak stock tie rods so we used some of that space to design a longer coil spring for longer travel and make it height adjustable over a longer range (including stock height). That actually got us into a little bit of trouble as we over-estimated the tolerances we had to work with and that resulted in interference on some installations. But these tie rods will work with our coilovers along with the adjustments we've made to our coilover kits and installation, which have been discussed over in that thread.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks promising.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base

Quite a few broken tie rods have been changed out on the trail so I'm sure you can handle it in your nice level garage with a floor jack, a few tools and a well stocked beer fridge :)

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21'+ 22" Broncos, Lexus GX470, Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As others have shared its not too hard to do. Like most upgraded wearable parts (brake lines, tie rods, belts etc.) install the new stuff at home on your own. Learn how its done and the tools needed to do to it. That is the best time to discover you need to buy a 32mm open ended wrench etc. (just an example) Then when your done your OEM take offs become your trail spares. Bag them up, roll in cardboard and wrap with duct tap. Write with large letters on the outside with a sharpie "OEM TIE ROD, 21 Bronco". Toss them in with your trail spares. Most likely you will never need them but you will save the day for another person on the trail with them.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do these offer more articulation angle than OEM? The angles the tie rods get into is what is causing them to snap from my understanding. Any worry that just making the rods stronger it damages the steering rack?
Sponsored