Sponsored

Jeep and Chevrolet's Reaction to New Ford Bronco

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Towing cross-county and traveling across the country in a BEV: not practical at all in the first case, and challenging/frustrating/problematic to say the least in the second case.
Understood, at first I thought you meant doing it at all.........
Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They got to get the all-electric cost down though. I'm not paying 30+ grand for an all-electric economy car, when I can get a high mpg gasoline economy car for close to half that much. But when all-electrics hit under 20 grand - I'm in.
What gas powered vehicle are you buying at under 20 grand?
Probably not one that would even be considered for electric conversion in the next 10 years due to battery cost.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only have 2 issues with electrics. Those that constantly tell me it will work fine for me, no issues (or even annoyances).
Not saying this is you. And the gov't trying to force them down my throat.
The "Government" is talking about the masses. My wife goes EV on her EV/Hybrid for months at a time. And that is on the 20mi. Fusion charge.
She never thought an EV would work for her either, and now she is strongly considering the Mustang-E as her Energi lease runs out.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably not one that would even be considered for electric conversion in the next 10 years due to battery cost.
In the right location you can make a golf cart or lawn mower street legal.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The "Government" is talking about the masses. My wife goes EV on her EV/Hybrid for months at a time. And that is on the 20mi. Fusion charge.
She never thought an EV would work for her either, and now she is strongly considering the Mustang-E as her Energi lease runs out.
The gov't is ramming them down my throat with tax free buying and usage, along with ridiculous emission std's.
Stop allowing 4600 sq ft houses to be built (as just one example of huge fossil fuel wastes), before you virtually outlaw
my IC cars (especially my V-8's).

And that's great for her, but I'm tired of retyping all the reasons why it would be very cost prohibitive up front for me and/or the deficiencies
of said EV's, because people assume I'm not informed. I've done a full blown 6 year cost estimate of selling my fusion sport and getting a
a LR AWD Tesla 3. It assumes everything from difference in "fuel" costs, added outlets and ext cords, insr costs, current mods done to car
that would have to be duplicated (includes even selling current mods used), even down to one less set of brakes pads on an EV vs an IC due to reg braking.

Bottom line is $3642.83 more per year, for 6 years to get into a Model 3. Big costs for me up front with electrical work, as I park all
over the place on a large property, and I'm not willing to (or can't many times) park in just one spot (IE, I park DD's under outdoor metal canopy, but
I use that for extended lengths of time for other uses, like taking a week or 2 to fix a leaky washing machine, at least outside if it leaks again while diagnosing,
it is OUTSIDE :)).

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
before you virtually outlaw
my IC cars (especially my V-8's).
uhhhh what??

Has there ever been a better time to be a V8 enthusiast? The NA V8 in the corvette C8 makes almost 500 horsepower. Mustang GT now makes 460 OR you can go with the GT500 with 760 horsepower. Not to mention the hellcats and demon.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
uhhhh what??

Has there ever been a better time to be a V8 enthusiast? The NA V8 in the corvette C8 makes almost 500 horsepower. Mustang GT now makes 460 OR you can go with the GT500 with 760 horsepower. Not to mention the hellcats and demon.
And yet the vehicle that I would want one most in, (overall simplicity in NA form, throttle response
ECO's can never match, ability to add serious power much easier, etc...) a new bronco, I can't..........

Also not sure what today has to do with 2025. If you believe the first post here or not,
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/last-year-for-v8-2024.133103/

still plenty of good info in the entire thread on why V-8's will at best, be relegated to super
expensive high end versions of cars, if they survive at all.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
And yet the vehicle that I would want one most in, (overall simplicity in NA form, throttle response
ECO's can never match, ability to add serious power much easier, etc...) a new bronco, I can't..........

Also not sure what today has to do with 2025. If you believe the first post here or not,
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/last-year-for-v8-2024.133103/

still plenty of good info in the entire thread on why V-8's will at best, be relegated to super
expensive high end versions of cars, if they survive at all.
1. As I've said before, packaging constraints is literally the reason they won't put the coyote. I don't know if you've ever looked at a coyote engine, they are absolutely fucking HUGE. if you stuffed one in a ranger engine bay it would be an absolute clusterfuck. Never going to happen. Adding serious power easier? You can literally tune a 2.7 ecoboost with a gizmo from the internet to be way faster than a coyote in the F-150, i'm sure the Bronco will be the same. Throttle response? The twin turbos in the modern ecoboosts more than makes up for that. The problem is that a V8 nowadays just doesn't have usable power in such a small vehicle. The 2.7 is going to be an absolute rocketship and will fit much better in the engine bay.

2. ZERO chance the discontinue the V8 in the mustang.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. As I've said before, packaging constraints is literally the reason they won't put the coyote. I don't know if you've ever looked at a coyote engine, they are absolutely fucking HUGE. if you stuffed one in a ranger engine bay it would be an absolute clusterfuck. Never going to happen. Adding serious power easier? You can literally tune a 2.7 ecoboost with a gizmo from the internet to be way faster than a coyote in the F-150, i'm sure the Bronco will be the same. Throttle response? The twin turbos in the modern ecoboosts more than makes up for that. The problem is that a V8 nowadays just doesn't have usable power in such a small vehicle. The 2.7 is going to be an absolute rocketship and will fit much better in the engine bay.

and yet people squeeze 460s into the 80's and 90's rangers. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to squeeze that coyote into the bronco bay. and If I can swing the 20-30k to do it, I will too. Shoot, they squeeze the coyote into EBs, and this new one will be significantly wider right?

Yeah, it won't happen from Ford, but it will happen.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
and yet people squeeze 460s into the 80's and 90's rangers. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to squeeze that coyote into the bronco bay. and If I can swing the 20-30k to do it, I will too. Shoot, they squeeze the coyote into EBs, and this new one will be significantly wider right?

Yeah, it won't happen from Ford, but it will happen.
Sure, you can stuff a coyote into a miata too. Doesn't mean it's practical, worthwhile, safe, or compliant from an engineering standpoint.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure, you can stuff a coyote into a miata too. Doesn't mean it's practical, worthwhile, safe, or compliant from an engineering standpoint.
Do not tell me that my 800 horsepower V12 powered VW Beetle is impractical! (that would actually be kind of fun....and I have seen a few supercharged V8 small block beetles..)

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

You are actually allowed to think about things before you write them. I've had "14 Stang GT" next to every one of my 331 posts.
They get stuffed into EB's all the time, and those framerails are one of the tightest ever made.

And are you an engineer and/or do you fabricate on vehicles? I've done both for 34 years, please post up why you are qualified to make this statement
"if you stuffed one in a ranger engine bay it would be an absolute clusterfuck."

Yes, you can get 550 HP from a 2.7 on the RAGGED edge (with E-85 and minimal reliability), or get even more HP on 93, with a warrantee
from Ford or Roush.

No turbo makes up for that, they still have to spool. Stop talking crap and post up datalogs YOU have done on both
a 2.7 eco and 5.0.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was looking at a few gasoline economy cars. For example the Kia Rio Sedan is around 16 grand. The Honda Fit is around the same price. Chevy Cruze also under 20 grand. Compared to those, the all-electric Chevy Bolt is around 36 grand. Maybe the Bolt buyer will still get some government incentive rebate, but even with that, the buyer is still looking at round 30 grand. At this point I don't want to pay 30 grand for a little economy car, when I can get a gasoline economy car for around 17 grand. On the other hand, when economy all-electrics get down around 20 grand, then I'm in.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are actually allowed to think about things before you write them. I've had "14 Stang GT" next to every one of my 331 posts.
They get stuffed into EB's all the time, and those framerails are one of the tightest ever made.

And are you an engineer and/or do you fabricate on vehicles? I've done both for 34 years, please post up why you are qualified to make this statement
"if you stuffed one in a ranger engine bay it would be an absolute clusterfuck."

Yes, you can get 550 HP from a 2.7 on the RAGGED edge (with E-85 and minimal reliability), or get even more HP on 93, with a warrantee
from Ford or Roush.

No turbo makes up for that, they still have to spool. Stop talking crap and post up datalogs YOU have done on both
a 2.7 eco and 5.0.
Sure they put coyotes in EB’s... they also have a hell of a lot less regulatory constraints in building a swapped vehicle.

Am I an engineer? No. But I do know how to listen and extrapolate trends based on information provided to me. Notice how not a single midsize truck has a V8? And notice how Jeep/FCA who absolutely LOVES putting a V8 into every single product they have has not put a V8 in a wrangler? There are reasons for this s, and honestly I may not fully understand all of them. Ford isn’t withholding the V8 just to piss people off or because they’re mean they have reasons for it and getting hung up on that is missing the forest for the trees.
Sponsored