Sponsored

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am going to call this the 37" tune. As I was using sport mode to add the missing zest that the 37" tires took away. I felt once I installed the FPP tune I didn't need sport mode and that it was feeling like when it had 35s. I put 400 miles on it today; interstate, canyon roads, off-road and town and there appears to be some improvements in mid-range power from the last time I drove to Moab (and the first time with 37s). The two CO mountain passes felt like the last 10 times I drove it in the Bronco on 35s; very little downshifting when at speed and scoots up to speed like I remember it.

0 to 60: Quickly downloading and looking at some pre and post-tune data logs, it appears that for the most part, the 0-60 (measured via data log time and speed) is roughly the same as pre-tune in sport mode. As a matter of fact- timing, boost and throttle opening appears to be roughly the same. This also goes for normal and sport post-tune. not much difference, mostly same shift rpms (2nd gear shift to 3rd was 150rpm higher in sport), timing and boost. There are some differences in timing retard during shifts and such, but not as much as I expected. All the 0-60 times appear to be around 9.5 seconds +\- .2 seconds. This was just a couple of quick runs, no boosted launch, just stab it and drive on the same exact road, at nearly the same temperature in the same direction. This doesn't mean that overall shifting, torque management and power is not improved. There are 15 different tables the PCM can reference and WOT (OP if it uses it) is just one of them. Just interesting first glance during one specific test. I still haven't been able to graph through the ProCal and the ProCal only records 6-7 parameters at a time , so I will have to do multiple tests, move the data and do the charts manually. Looking forward to everyone else's testing (actual 0-60, dyno numbers) Next week I will play with it. I still like it and feel the improvements and I could care less about 0-60, but it was an easy to test and duplicate.

I have made at least 10 round-trips to Moab from Denver in the Bronco this year, and I have averaged 18.2 MPG over 22,000 miles. My best to-Moab MPG was 20.5 I believe, but typically get 18.5-19 with the 35s. Today I filled up before heading out (91 Octane) and filled up in Grand Junction after about 250 miles. The instrument cluster calculated 19.1 MPG and I hand-calculated 19.06 MPG. I finished the trip, ran a trail and did some Moab cruising and ended up with 395 miles at 18.9 MPG. Not bad for 37s and packed with gear. I don't do 80 on the interstate (I keep it at 75), but otherwise do 5 over or so. Time will tell what the real average fuel economy will be and will report back after a few more thousand miles.
Sponsored

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly it sounds like a winner for those who want to keep their warranty.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good write up and if it duplicates the performance on 37s that you had with 35s and the only penalty is the cost of the tune and premium, seems like a good deal. I will probably go up slightly on my current 33s when I replace them, so knowing the tune could maintain my overall performance upsizing the tires is good news! Keep updating as you learn more! The only thing I don’t like about the 2.7 and 33s is the soft “launch” of the line. I would like a bit more linear throttle tip in!

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Good write up and if it duplicates the performance on 37s that you had with 35s and the only penalty is the cost of the tune and premium, seems like a good deal. I will probably go up slightly on my current 33s when I replace them, so knowing the tune could maintain my overall performance upsizing the tires is good news! Keep updating as you learn more! The only thing I don’t like about the 2.6 and 33s is the soft “launch” of the line. I would like a bit more linear throttle tip in!
There is improvements on tip-in, under normal use, i just haven’t measured it or compared those back to back. To protect the vehicle (detonation and drivetrain damage) the timing drops to negative numbers when tipping in. I can see it on the data logger but have not logged it yet.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is improvements on tip-in, under normal use, i just haven’t measured it or compared those back to back. To protect the vehicle (detonation and drivetrain damage) the timing drops to negative numbers when tipping in. I can see it on the data logger but have not logged it yet.
It’s probably worth it for me to get the tune, just to geek out on the data logs 😄 its interesting, I completely deleted the traction/stability control on a trail ride last week and the stock power, with “no” computer oversight, was really over the top. It felt like 330 HP! (I was on premium fuel lol) Clearly the entire system is exercising a lot of different parameters in spirited on-road and off road driving.

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am going to call this the 37" tune. As I was using sport mode to add the missing zest that the 37" tires took away. I felt once I installed the FPP tune I didn't need sport mode and that it was feeling like when it had 35s. I put 400 miles on it today; interstate, canyon roads, off-road and town and there appears to be some improvements in mid-range power from the last time I drove to Moab (and the first time with 37s). The two CO mountain passes felt like the last 10 times I drove it in the Bronco on 35s; very little downshifting when at speed and scoots up to speed like I remember it.

0 to 60: Quickly downloading and looking at some pre and post-tune data logs, it appears that for the most part, the 0-60 (measured via data log time and speed) is roughly the same as pre-tune in sport mode. As a matter of fact- timing, boost and throttle opening appears to be roughly the same. This also goes for normal and sport post-tune. not much difference, mostly same shift rpms (2nd gear shift to 3rd was 150rpm higher in sport), timing and boost. There are some differences in timing retard during shifts and such, but not as much as I expected. All the 0-60 times appear to be around 9.5 seconds +\- .2 seconds. This was just a couple of quick runs, no boosted launch, just stab it and drive on the same exact road, at nearly the same temperature in the same direction. This doesn't mean that overall shifting, torque management and power is not improved. There are 15 different tables the PCM can reference and WOT (OP if it uses it) is just one of them. Just interesting first glance during one specific test. I still haven't been able to graph through the ProCal and the ProCal only records 6-7 parameters at a time , so I will have to do multiple tests, move the data and do the charts manually. Looking forward to everyone else's testing (actual 0-60, dyno numbers) Next week I will play with it. I still like it and feel the improvements and I could care less about 0-60, but it was an easy to test and duplicate.

I have made at least 10 round-trips to Moab from Denver in the Bronco this year, and I have averaged 18.2 MPG over 22,000 miles. My best to-Moab MPG was 20.5 I believe, but typically get 18.5-19 with the 35s. Today I filled up before heading out (91 Octane) and filled up in Grand Junction after about 250 miles. The instrument cluster calculated 19.1 MPG and I hand-calculated 19.06 MPG. I finished the trip, ran a trail and did some Moab cruising and ended up with 395 miles at 18.9 MPG. Not bad for 37s and packed with gear. I don't do 80 on the interstate (I keep it at 75), but otherwise do 5 over or so. Time will tell what the real average fuel economy will be and will report back after a few more thousand miles.
Nice!

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it get rid of the lull in normal mode in gears 1-4?

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

diggs44060

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had mine installed yesterday at the dealer..I'm digging it and an added bonus I see today it is keeping the Auto start deactivated if turned off when engine is turned off..

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

??

Had mine installed yesterday at the dealer..I'm digging it and an added bonus I see today it is keeping the Auto start deactivated if turned off when engine is turned off..

Tacnav#1

Badlands
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge AWD, F-150, Dodge Challenger R/T
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did my 22 Badlands today much improved over the stock tune as far as throttle response and boost. I will update after my 1000 mile trip on November 1st. Definitely money well spent plus EordPass Rewards.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Road and Track says 2.7 tune is 25 hp and 18 lb-ft of torque, I assume that is at the crank so sounds like big $ for a small % of that making it to the wheels. Could have benefits like smoothing the curve and response. Most of the time I am wrong but... I thought the HP gains would be more than that.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a41514289/new-ford-performance-tunes-bump-bronco-horsepower/
Not trolling/genuinely curious; what bolt-on/plug-n-play upgrades do you know of that are (much) less than $40/hp @ crank for the 2.7L?
Sponsored