First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am so glad the owner did that measurement. Now all we need to do is find somebody with an F-150 pan from a 2.7 who is willing to do the same measurement and we'll all have our answer. Does anybody happen to have an F-150 2.7 pan laying around? The 3/8 difference between his six and seven quarts is just about the amount that ours have been showing overfilled on the H sticks when 7 quarts have been added.
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L Screenshot_20221024-062641_Chrome
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am so glad the owner did that measurement. Now all we need to do is find somebody with an F-150 pan from a 2.7 who is willing to do the same measurement and we'll all have our answer. Does anybody happen to have an F-150 2.7 pan laying around? The 3/8 difference between his six and seven quarts is just about the amount that ours have been showing overfilled on the H sticks when 7 quarts have been added.
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L Screenshot_20221024-062641_Chrome
If anyone on this forum works for Ford and gets dealer pricing on the 2.7 F-150 pan I would gladly PayPal them just to have this question answered. The pan lists for about $94 consumer cost but then there's expensive shipping...

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If anyone on this forum works for Ford and gets dealer pricing on the 2.7 F-150 pan I would gladly PayPal them just to have this question answered. The pan lists for about $94 consumer cost but then there's expensive shipping...
I do, I’ll get you a price.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cool thanks. Then after you fill it with water and do the test you can keep it...this is the part number I think...
Ford Bronco Dealer insists it’s 6 quarts for oil change on my 2.7L Screenshot_20221024-071211_Chrome
Unfortunately my price isn’t really any better. $92 because I still have to pay 10% over cost as an employee.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder if there's a knockoff version of the F-150 somewhere. I just bought a lower oil pan for my Jeep that wasn't Mopar original, but was practically an exact replacement. Was a lot cheaper. I tried searching Amazon for that part number but got nothing.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if there's a knockoff version of the F-150 somewhere. I just bought a lower oil pan for my Jeep that wasn't Mopar original, but was practically an exact replacement. Was a lot cheaper. I tried searching Amazon for that part number but got nothing.
I just ordered one

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Humor me for a second.
If the oil level is below the pan gasket sealing surface, AND if the crank counterweights and connecting rods don't come in contact with the oil in the pan all should be fine regardless, right?

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Humor me for a second.
If the oil level is below the pan gasket sealing surface, AND if the crank counterweights and connecting rods don't come in contact with the oil in the pan all should be fine regardless, right?
Right... the counterweights and connecting rods do not come in contact with the oil in the pan... 7 qts are fine and so is 6 qts if you want to run less than 7..... if the pan is sealed it does not matter if the oil is above or below the gasket sealing surface....

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Humor me for a second.
Yes, but at what angle does the oil come in contact with the rotating assembly?
By increasing the height of oil (more quantity in the pan) you decrease the maximum angle of the engine before oil contacts the rotating assembly.
Decreasing the height of the oil decreases the maximum angle of the engine before the pickup is uncovered and you starve the oiling system.

Roads will be graded, so no worry there. Climbing straight up rocks and ledges off road is where it can potentially become an issue.

There is also the outstanding question on the design capacity of the Bronco 2.7 oil system.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Humor me for a second.
[/QUOT

It isn't about how much oil "fits before it touches reciprocating parts"...engineers design oil levels with a lot more factors than that in mind. Even if the oil level was significantly lower than the pan rail, during extreme angles it would still end up (often)above the rail. There is no auto manufacturer whose service manual or owners manual (other than Ford who is in the middle of changing over to 6 quarts across the board) that lists "6 or 7" quarts or "5 or 6" quarts. I am not sure why there is so much resistance to simply following the latest information (from the folks who engineered our vehicles)? Whatever...add right up to the rail if it makes you feel better...that would probably be about 8...but currently the "correct" answer is 6 (as demonstrated time and time again by the latest delivered vehicles, spec sheets from dealers handed to customers, etc).

For anyone interested, I ordered a 2.7 F150 pan...and I will measure 6 and 7 quarts to (hopefully) put this well-worn thread to rest.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, but at what angle does the oil come in contact with the rotating assembly?
By increasing the height of oil (more quantity in the pan) you decrease the maximum angle of the engine before oil contacts the rotating assembly.
Decreasing the height of the oil decreases the maximum angle of the engine before the pickup is uncovered and you starve the oiling system.

Roads will be graded, so no worry there. Climbing straight up rocks and ledges off road is where it can potentially become an issue.

There is also the outstanding question on the design capacity of the Bronco 2.7 oil system.
looks to me the rotating assembly is a long way from the oil.....
Ford 2.7 Ecoboost Oil Pan Replacement (Complete Guide) - Bing video
Sponsored