First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kinda like changing tire size? Same, same. The computer doesn't care as long as everything is turning the same. My speedo/odometer is currently off by 9%. It's not a problem.
Changing tire size doesn't effect the rate at which sensors are spinning with regard to the ABS system. It's two completely different examples. Your speed sensor and ABS system must keep the same linear relation in order to function properly. Changing your tires makes the diff spin slower to maintain the same speed, it doesn't change the linear relation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Changing tire size doesn't effect the rate as which sensors are spinning with regard to the ABS system. It's two completely different examples. Your speed sensor and ABS system must keep the same linear relation in order to function properly. Changing your tires makes the diff spin slower to maintain the same speed, it doesn't change the linear relation.

It's simple enough to reprogram if needed, so it's really not an issue. People regear all the time. It will be fine.

OP
OP
Jimmyleetennessee

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's simple enough to reprogram if needed, so it's really not an issue. People regear all the time. It will be fine.
Yes they do, and often times it has a permanent ABS light. Hopefully this will not be the case with the bronco, since they know people will heavily modify them! Haha

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes they do, and often times it has a permanent ABS light. Hopefully this will not be the case with the bronco, since they know people will heavily modify them! Haha

My Toyota and Chevy didn't have an issue when regeared, and I doubt the Bronco will either. Like I said, it's easy enough to reprogram if needed. It won't be an issue for me. If there is a permanent light on the dash, that's easy enough to deal with as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jimmyleetennessee

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Toyota and Chevy didn't have an issue when regeared, and I doubt the Bronco will either. Like I said, it's easy enough to reprogram if needed. It won't be an issue for me. If there is a permanent light on the dash, that's easy enough to deal with as well.
What year were they? How much was the change? This new tech is an entirely different animal. The GOAT modes rely entirely on the correct inputs. Be curious to see when someone swaps how this is remedied.... for me 4.46 is PLENTY low enough haha my truck has a 3.55 and makes more than enough torque!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What year were they? How much was the change? This new tech is an entirely different animal. The GOAT modes rely entirely on the correct inputs. Be curious to see when someone swaps how this is remedied.... for me 4.46 is PLENTY low enough haha my truck has a 3.55 and makes more than enough torque!

The bigger issue right now is getting the programming for the axle swap with FAD delete to work. The axle will come with 4.88s and the programing should be handled at the same time.

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
**As pointed out by some replies, you CAN get a manual badlands with the 4.7 ratio, but you do lose trail-turn assist.. which is why I didn't. I was strictly speaking of the automatic, I should have clarified.. although that is not at all the point of my post**
[/QUOTE]
The 4.7 ratio is standard on a manual non-Sasquatch Badlands.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks! The whole point was to comfort those with the 4.46 like myself😂
How will you get past the traction control system? The difference in wheel speeds will throw the ABS codes, so im just curious as to the fix!
by holding down the traction control button to turn off advancetrac.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Forscan (I think?) and several of the tune kits have parameters to change tire size and gearing. One of my Bronco owning associates has 37s on his Outer Banks and the dealer re-programmed the ecm to adjust. I have been surprised at how well it does with the 4.27 gears.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jimmyleetennessee

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Forscan (I think?) and several of the tune kits have parameters to change tire size and gearing. One of my Bronco owning associates has 37s on his Outer Banks and the dealer re-programmed the ecm to adjust. I have been surprised at how well it does with the 4.27 gears.
I have forscan, when I recieve my bronco I may be able to verify- depending on if my license is still good.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have forscan, when I recieve my bronco I may be able to verify- depending on if my license is still good.
I am sure someone will chime in. I am not a forscan expert and I am hesitant to use it until my warranty is expired. I do plan to go slightly larger, to a 287/75/17 tire when my current 33s wear out. Now that "35s" are the defacto "standard" for modified off road rigs, the ruts I encounter on trail are sometimes a bit deeper than the 33s like. Good news, no more 2.73 open diffs to have to re-gear and upgrade like the "old days" :)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Changing tire size doesn't effect the rate at which sensors are spinning with regard to the ABS system. It's two completely different examples. Your speed sensor and ABS system must keep the same linear relation in order to function properly. Changing your tires makes the diff spin slower to maintain the same speed, it doesn't change the linear relation.
The abs sensors read wheel speed. Changing tire size is the ONLY way to change the speed they read. Also Bronco (like most newer vehicles now), does not have a separate vehicle speed sensor, vehicle speed data is transmitted over CAN by ABS. So a gear ratio change would not affect vehicle speed reading at all.

OP
OP
Jimmyleetennessee

Jimmyleetennessee

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ford f150 fx4 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The abs sensors read wheel speed. Changing tire size is the ONLY way to change the speed they read. Also Bronco (like most newer vehicles now), does not have a separate vehicle speed sensor, vehicle speed data is transmitted over CAN by ABS. So a gear ratio change would not affect vehicle speed reading at all.
You are very much incorrect. The ABS sensors generate electricity as they turn. This information is measured and enterpreted by the vehicle and compared to the wheel speed sensor. If you change the tires, the relationship between the speed sensor and ABS sensor keeps the same linear relationship, running in parallel. This will not cause any issues. However, if you change the differential gearing, now the ABS sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor have a different linear correlation, causing a fault.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are very much incorrect. The ABS sensors generate electricity as they turn. This information is measured and enterpreted by the vehicle and compared to the wheel speed sensor. If you change the tires, the relationship between the speed sensor and ABS sensor keeps the same linear relationship, running in parallel. This will not cause any issues. However, if you change the differential gearing, now the ABS sensor and Vehicle Speed Sensor have a different linear correlation, causing a fault.
There is NO vehicle speed sensor on a 6G Bronco. ABS doesn't measure the voltage of the WSS, it measures frequency. Most vehicles built in the last 10 years are this way. A taller tire at a given road speed will generate a lower speed signal than a smaller diameter tire. You are correct, as long as all 4 are the same, the computer doesn't care, however, the speedo, and the data sent to the PCM will be lower than true road speed when a taller tire is installed. Steeper gears will not affect this. There are easy ways to reprogram it also, but trust me this is how it works
Sponsored