Sponsored

Subjective red flags I see... now that I've had some time to let the hype settle in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry but seeing more and more posts like this, and I don't think there is any value to having a conversation about it. Asking a question like "are 4-doors for poseurs or is the 2.7L big enough" is absurd and entirely subjective. If you are trying to talk yourself out of buying it, then you probably should wait. I have a 2005 Pathfinder that is fairly capable off-road and is long since paid for as well, but that has no bearing on my decision to get the Bronco. I'm getting the Bronco, and the Trim/doors/top/transmission I want because it's for me and 100 years from now we will all be dead and none of this will matter.

Bottom line - there is a cost and benefit to every decision you make. Figure out what's important to you.

PS - The 4dr is F&*K1*g awesome.
Sponsored

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
By the time Jeep came out with the 4 door Wrangler, the kids were grown and it no longer really made sense. Prior to that the two door Wrangler and a four door sedan had to make do...and it did.
Fast forwarding to today, a two door Bronco fits the bill just as nicely as the Wrangler TJ did back in '97. It's far more advanced than the Wrangler and therefor more worthy of purchase (IMO). The Ford 2.7 is nearly bullet proof. 310HP (or more) and 400ft/lbs of torque should put the "no replacement for displacement" myth to bed once and for all.
If you need higher towing capacity, this isn't the product. If you need to haul 4 or more (full sized) people in relative comfort, this probably isn't the product either. If you need to swallow a mountain bike whole...maybe yes...maybe no. However, one of several SUV offerings would probably fit the bill in all three areas

The Wrangler, now Bronco, mystic is hard to explain and that is as it should be...

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
But if you turbo'd the 5.0 then he'd beat the 3.5 turbo.

So, all things remaining equal, there is no replacement for displacement.
Your point is valid but I will respectfully disagree bc I am talking about in an oem set up. Real-world example, which current F-150 has the best towing the 3.5 or the 5.0 the answer is the 3.5

So, are all of you guys that are defending the 2.3 and 2.7 liter engine choices willing to go on record that you would NOT consider a larger displacement engine if Ford made it available?

The Bronco is not a lightweight vehicle. Doesn't Ford put the 2.3 in the Focus???? A Ford Focus engine in a serious Off-road vehicle??? Longevity and durability matter? Have you researched the 2.3 ecoboost history? Many in the industry consider it to be at its limits, which hurts its reliability.

If Ford releases the Bronco with a 3.0l turbo I think many will jump on board.

Real point of the post is to step back and take an objective look at what is being offered from Ford now that the hype has settled.... Hate to make the comparison, but many of you guys sound like Biden/Harris supporters suggesting we should never question anything....its just perfect as is and I'm supporting it no matter what....
Oh yeah people would love bigger engines no doubting that. However The 2.3 is also in the explorer and the ranger. Having driven it in it both definitely puts me at ease that it is up to the task for my needs. The 2.7 I have 0 worry about as its had a good record in the F150

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So, are all of you guys that are defending the 2.3 and 2.7 liter engine choices willing to go on record that you would NOT consider a larger displacement engine if Ford made it available?

The Bronco is not a lightweight vehicle. Doesn't Ford put the 2.3 in the Focus???? A Ford Focus engine in a serious Off-road vehicle??? Longevity and durability matter? Have you researched the 2.3 ecoboost history? Many in the industry consider it to be at its limits, which hurts its reliability.

Real point of the post is to step back and take an objective look at what is being offered from Ford now that the hype has settled.... Hate to make the comparison, but many of you guys sound like Biden/Harris supporters suggesting we should never question anything....its just perfect as is and I'm supporting it no matter what....
wow

secretg

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Nissan Leaf :)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the 4 door because it has a bigger cargo area and I really want that pull out bed for setting up a work area when I am using my Bronco as a base camp for camping trips. To each their own, I am just glad you have the option to buy either or. :)

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some real observations:
- Are 4 doors for posers? I see 4 door jeep owners riding around with the doors off taking the kids to soccer practice and PTA meetings.... Is the real Bronco a 2 door and the 4 door for posers???
I'm going to play armchair therapist for a sec here and say you should address your insecurities before you buy a Bronco, because I guarantee that your sack will be the same size even after your purchase.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tenor.gif

Didn't count the posts but I think many of the responses were to your 4-door "poser" comments.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is subjective.... Hope I don't offend anyone.
Was really excited to see the release of the new Bronco. So far, Ford has not disappointed...
However, its been a few weeks and the hangover is gone....

Some real observations:
- Its small... I have a 2009 body on frame Ford Explorer 4x4 that has been bulletproof for 220,000 miles (except for those crappy plastic waternecks that connect the radiator hose to the block....I've had no significant repairs.) The Explorer is actually larger than the 4 door Bronco. My mountain bike fits inside the Explorer without removing the wheels. New tech in MTB is called Boost hubs. Its not as easy to remove the wheels on new tech bikes. I like being able to just toss my bike in the Explorer with no mods. Will I be able to do the same in the Bronco?
- Ground clearance is the same as the body on frame versions of the Explorer and the Bronco.
- Approach and departure are significantly better on the Bronco. Bronco is clearly the winner offroad. Which is good as I'm an overlander and motocamper.
- Turning radius on the Explorer is awesome. I can park and get in and out of anywhere....subcompact parking spots? no problem. Pissing off Prius owners is a right of pride. Bronco, will you have a good turning radius or will you make U-Turns like a corvette???
- Small engine options have me concerned. Ever heard the saying "There's no replacement for displacement" 2.7liter is the largest option??? really???
- towing - body on frame Explorer wins by nearly double at 6,000 pounds. Bronco 3,500... Hmm. why?
- Cost - I know I drive an old 2009, but its been paid for 10 years now.... New Badlands I have specd with Lux, and Sasquatch, and options will hit $60k.
- Cool factor - duh. Bronco is badass. Body on frame Explorer is dated....

I'm 99% in on committing to the Bronco and it will be awesome. Just some observations now that the hangover has warn off. Anyone else have any "concerns" with the new Bronco?
Just some thoughts. The tightest turning vehicle I ever owned was a '91 bronco. it could not have physically turned any tighter, like on its own axis, and most likely tighter than the explorer. So I would hold your concern on the new one until it comes out. As for the 2.7, for anyone that has followed the development, roll out and years now of road performance, it is a great engine that can hold its own against many v-8s. In many ways it very close in performance to the 3.5 in the F-150. That said, if you still need more power, then utilize the aftermarket, you will have many choices I am sure. As for posing well, I doubt very much that you track your cars at the absolute maximum speed they produce, but I wouldn't call you a race car poser if you did not. The 2016 CTS-V can hit the other side of 200 MPH but I really don't think anyone who has bought it for a driver actually does that, but again, they are not racing posers because they don't. I might get the sasq package because I like the looks and I just might take it off road a bit. But there are many reasons for getting the four door. A poser is someone trying to pass themselves off for something they are not. That is different than buying a beautiful vehicle because you really enjoy it, regardless of whether you ever tap its potential. Just my humble opinion.

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you know that the average strawberry has 200 seeds?
Oh let’s turn this into a thread of random
facts. As much as I’ve been enjoying it devolve it’s time to mix it up a bit. How about this:
Did you know that a ostriches eye is bigger than its brain?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I had to google this. Apparently bananas are and raspberries also aren't berries!? The world doesn't make sense anymore!
Then you're DEFINITELY not ready for the bad news about peanuts ...

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Oh let’s turn this into a thread of random
facts. As much as I’ve been enjoying it devolve it’s time to mix it up a bit. How about this:
Did you know that a ostriches eye is bigger than its brain?
A trait not unique to the ostrich, I've always suspected.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.