Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Amp research reviews were somewhat mixed that I read.

I would make sure I sprayed these with Fluid Film to avoid corrosion like you mentioned.
The biggest issue with the AMP steps is dirt. Any mud or moderately heavy road grime and they will stop working. Sometimes the lock in the up position and sometime when down. Snow and slush are also an issue.
Sponsored

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First thing I have done on every truck I've ever owned is yank the steps off and post them on craigslist because I think they're ugly lol. The auto steps *for me* don't seem to be worth the money. My wife is 5'11" and I'm 6' so entering even lifted trucks isn't ever an issue. If I needed steps though, auto would be it... tubes are hideous.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

That'd be useful. Especially since I didnt consider whether or not my wife can comfortably enter and exit this thing . . .
Not going to lie, I'm excited to watch my wife (5'4") getting in.

Sponsored

Tiburon

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Aux switches are only hot with the "key" on.
Apologies. Did not mean to imply they are always hot. I meant the single switch assigned for this operation would need to be always hot to work for that scenario. Should be simple to reroute one of the switches to do that.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, some of you are saying use th Aux switches inside the vehicle to deploy when the doors are off, wouldn't that entail getting into the vehicle first to deploy the step to help you get in the vehicle?

I have had the AMP steps on my Superduty for ~7-8 years now and have not had 1 problem (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Great addition and they have held up well to plenty of snow, ice, dirt, mud, etc. I think at least originally the OEM'd for Ford for the F150s, not sure about lately though.

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, but this one is fugly! I like the AMP!
The AMP are nice to look at and function elegantly. However, I have the RSE on my Jeep because they are stable and get my 4'10" wife in and out confidently, but they are ALSO fully functional rock rails - able to take the full weight of the Jeep as well as bounce and slide down boulders ...then work as a step again. The AMPs can't do that.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Great ! I like that as another option. Looks like the door lock switches are going to be in the door and since door lock actuators are typically inside the door with the latch on the B pillar (front door), you would want to tap in the appropriate wire between fuse/relay and the door hinge. This way you could capture the signal to provide power to the steps with a fob button press before the door connection point since once you remove the doors, you have no lock.

The Aux switch option is to allow you to activate the steps without worrying about where the key fob is, you could just use the aux switch (always hot) to activate the steps....or the best of worlds - have both setups.
These also work with a splitter to the OBD port.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Apologies. Did not mean to imply they are always hot. I meant the single switch assigned for this operation would need to be always hot to work for that scenario. Should be simple to reroute one of the switches to do that.
Not possible for any of the switches to be hot without the key in the ON position. No power to any of the AUX switches without the key being on.

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So if the undercarriage is the same as the new Bronco, should be easy to add Amp Research Power steps,

Will be the first after market add on to my Bronco. Got to get my girls up into the beast without throwing them in.

Tiburon

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not possible for any of the switches to be hot without the key in the ON position. No power to any of the AUX switches without the key being on.
Understood - makes sense if you want to keep it under warranty :). Couldn't you just intercept the line to run hot instead from battery instead of ACC?
So, some of you are saying use th Aux switches inside the vehicle to deploy when the doors are off, wouldn't that entail getting into the vehicle first to deploy the step to help you get in the vehicle?

I have had the AMP steps on my Superduty for ~7-8 years now and have not had 1 problem (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Great addition and they have held up well to plenty of snow, ice, dirt, mud, etc. I think at least originally the OEM'd for Ford for the F150s, not sure about lately though.
Great point about being outside the vehicle, taking the doors off and them wanting to get in, @Hopeless Diamond. Guess maybe you would have to lower the steps first before taking the doors off either when you were in or outside the Bronc. I was just thinking of an option where you didn't have to use a fob to deploy....well at least not after the first time once you took the doors off. Maybe a switch on the A pillar would be a better idea since it would be easy to reach versus an Aux switch and you could even retract the steps even after you left the vehicle. This would avoid modifying any aux switch to run hot with a direct line to the battery and keep them all warranty fresh. :)

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Understood - makes sense if you want to keep it under warranty :). Couldn't you just intercept the line to run hot instead from battery instead of ACC?

Great point about being outside the vehicle, taking the doors off and them wanting to get in, @Hopeless Diamond. Guess maybe you would have to lower the steps first before taking the doors off either when you were in or outside the Bronc. I was just thinking of an option where you didn't have to use a fob to deploy....well at least not after the first time once you took the doors off. Maybe a switch on the A pillar would be a better idea since it would be easy to reach versus an Aux switch and you could even retract the steps even after you left the vehicle. This would avoid modifying any aux switch to run hot with a direct line to the battery and keep them all warranty fresh. :)
The new F-150 has a kick switch at the back end of the step to activate it. Hopefully Amp Research will keep that in mind when they design the Bronco step.

Tiburon

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The new F-150 has a kick switch at the back end of the step to activate it. Hopefully Amp Research will keep that in mind when they design the Bronco step.
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored