Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Raptor, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

*UPDATE AT END*

Ordered the Ford (Bronco branded) cargo drawer from the dealer today. Those Ford Pass points covered the cost which was not an insignificant factor in the final decision to go with the Ford box. First, I went back and forth between the drawer and the full enclosure. I ended up with the drawer because I carry more than my fair share of gear and my preference is to organize it. Configurable panels and removable dividers gives a host of options. The drawer actually leaves ample room on top for gear bags, range bags, coolers, etc. I cut the rear rug to size and it's a nice addition. A rubber mat or a piece of automotive carpet would be fine too.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_3440

Once I decided on the drawer, I did some research. Over the years for me, TruckVault has been the gold standard. impeccable quality, first-rate security, lots of options. They are also 4x the price of the Ford unit! I got to put eyes on the Ford drawer and I was impressed with the fit and finish. Ball bearing slides, clean welds, carpet on the drawer, and a solid lock. Having used the TruckVault to secure firearms, ammo, tactical gear and the like, the Ford unit gives me the same feeling of security as the TruckVault. Nothing is impenetrable and this post isn't to suggest the Ford unit is any better or worse from that perspective. Like a good safe, the goal is to slow down or deter the attack and this box does that, hands down. I also learned from the instructions that it is made by Tuffy for Ford and Bronco-branded.

The install is super easy and doesn't warrant an entire post. Pop the plastic covers off each of the four tie downs. Remove the bolts, replace with the install hardware, set the box and secure it. Super simple. Use power wrench for the 13mm nuts and torque to the specs on the sheet.

BTW, consider removing your jack and gas filler adapter before you put the drawer in. Now this is optional. I prefer a bottle jack that I'll store in the drawer. But, if you do not remove it, you'll simply have to remove the drawer to access your jack. Given that when you pick up that nail and have to change the tire, it will be dark, wet, dimly lit, muddy, with snow and wind in the forecast, choose wisely.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos box wo drawer

After the install, the front 'gap' where the tie downs where is left exposed. It's really a bad look when everything else is so tight and orderly. In the above photo, the (now custom) cover is in place on the left and the right side is what it would look like w/o a cover.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos openin

With the drawer installed, the opening and exposed threads are unsightly. And, the plastic cover you removed doesn't snap back in. So...

With an air grinder and a couple blasts, I removed everything above the lasso graphic on the plastic cover.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos Grinder

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos cut piece 1

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos cut piece

After that, a touch of glue/adhesive and it looks just like it did before the install!

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos glue

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos cover right

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos left side cover

Once the drawer is installed, it's looks stock, again. Hope this helps someone!

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos closed

*UPDATE* So after things settled down and I put a few miles on it. I noticed the bottom of the drawer was touching the plastic threshold piece. Over time, that would definitely show signs of wear. The contact point was very small, less than the thickness of a credit card. I'm sure this is just due to some inconsistencies in manufacturing, build, part variations and the like, but it bugs me.

So, in case you find the same condition or you want to avoid it during the initial install. Here's what I did. Remove the drawer and the four nuts holding the box. Remove the box and remove the 'pillars' at each corner. Insert a thick washer under the pillar bolt and one on top of the bolt (under the box). Do not put two washers together at any point or you'll loose the required bite to torque them down. Four washers under, four washers on top. Set the box in place and reinstall the nuts. This lifted the box enough to clear the threshold with no problem.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_3448
Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_3451

And that's it. Lifts it just enough. Now if you want to be fancy, put a thinner washer on top of the thick one just on the front pillars. That will give you the slightest amount of upward cant and assist with full drawer closer.

Hope this helps!

IMG_3449.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice. Looks really good. I am adding a 3/4” plastic board to the top of mine. So I can drill and mount things like slide for cooler...etc. I like the carpet idea...might put it on top of my plastic board.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ordered the Ford (Bronco branded) cargo drawer from the dealer today. Those Ford Pass points covered the cost which was not an insignificant factor in the final decision to go with the Ford box. First, I went back and forth between the drawer and the full enclosure. I ended up with the drawer because I carry more than my fair share of gear and my preference is to organize it. Configurable panels and removable dividers gives a host of options. The drawer actually leaves ample room on top for gear bags, range bags, coolers, etc. I cut the rear rug to size and it's a nice addition. A rubber mat or a piece of automotive carpet would be fine too.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_3449

Once I decided on the drawer, I did some research. Over the years for me, TruckVault has been the gold standard. impeccable quality, first-rate security, lots of options. They are also 4x the price of the Ford unit! I got to put eyes on the Ford drawer and I was impressed with the fit and finish. Ball bearing slides, clean welds, carpet on the drawer, and a solid lock. Having used the TruckVault to secure firearms, ammo, tactical gear and the like, the Ford unit gives me the same feeling of security as the TruckVault. Nothing is impenetrable and this post isn't to suggest the Ford unit is any better or worse from that perspective. Like a good safe, the goal is to slow down or deter the attack and this box does that, hands down. I also learned from the instructions that it is made by Tuffy for Ford and Bronco-branded.

The install is super easy and doesn't warrant an entire post. Pop the plastic covers off each of the four tie downs. Remove the bolts, replace with the install hardware, set the box and secure it. Super simple. Use power wrench for the 13mm nuts and torque to the specs on the sheet.

BTW, consider removing your jack and gas filler adapter before you put the drawer in. Now this is optional. I prefer a bottle jack that I'll store in the drawer. But, if you do not remove it, you'll simply have to remove the drawer to access your jack. Given that when you pick up that nail and have to change the tire, it will be dark, wet, dimly lit, muddy, with snow and wind in the forecast, choose wisely.

After the install, the front 'gap' where the tie downs where is left exposed. It's really a bad look when everything else is so tight and orderly. In the above photo, the (now custom) cover is in place on the left and the right side is what it would look like w/o a cover.

With the drawer installed, the opening and exposed threads are unsightly. And, the plastic cover you removed doesn't snap back in. So...

With an air grinder and a couple blasts, I removed everything above the lasso graphic on the plastic cover.

After that, a touch of glue/adhesive and it looks just like it did before the install!

Once the drawer is installed, it's looks stock, again. Hope this helps someone!

Looks great!

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice install, I dig what you did the top. I just removed my drawer. I have found that having no dividers at all on the inside afford you WAY more usable space.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does it make the back level when the rear sets are folded down?
No - The box is higher.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_0297

Great write-up!

I added a rubber mat on top of mine. Works great for protecting the box and stops stuff from sliding around. I also added the Ford cargo net.

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos 1668705181483

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice install, I dig what you did the top. I just removed my drawer. I have found that having no dividers at all on the inside afford you WAY more usable space.
You are right, 100%. I ended up doing that with the TruckVault and I was amazed at how much crap I could cram in there. Good feedback!

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No - The box is higher.

Great write-up!

I added a rubber mat on top of mine. Works great for protecting the box and stops stuff from sliding around. I also added the Ford cargo net.

Looks really good!

OP
OP
0321_Bronco

0321_Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

MadeInDetroit

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, 74 Bronco, Tesla, Falcon Spint, Defender
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks nice. I ordered the same but need to find a place for the Kicker Hideaway now. Any suggestions?

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just installed mine 2 days ago! Fits some firearms nicely too!
Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos IMG_0425

tdiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150, 2012 Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I added a 3/8" sheet of OSB with folding "ramps" to level out the height difference and covered it in rubber mat. Works well for sleeping in the Bronco on the Deepsleep Overland mats!
Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos 20220823_185142

Ford Bronco Ford Cargo Drawer Install DIY - writeup & photos 20220823_185015

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One guy fashioned a shallow box with a lift top, to meet the height of the forward cargo deck. His goa was provide an even sleep floor. Stainless steel sheet metal, looked good. I could go for something like that, especially if it were a pull-out drawer. Then I could accept the unit's interior space without clearing the top of cargo or gear.

Don't remember whether it was this, or the other, site...:unsure:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I added a 3/8" sheet of OSB with folding "ramps" to level out the height difference and covered it in rubber mat. Works well for sleeping in the Bronco on the Deepsleep Overland mats!

That looks awesome! Well done.
Sponsored