Sponsored

How does "Measured Rim Width" affect tire width, if at all?

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

On the Tire Rack site and it shows the width of a Toyo 285/75/17 tire is 11.3 on a Measured Rim Width of 8. If the same tire were mounted on a 9 inch wheel, would the 11.3 width change? If so, how - wider/thinner? I am trying to obtain an aftermarket wheel/tire set up that keeps as tucked under the non-Sas flares as possible, and realize I will need to settle in the plus 15-25 range to obtain the wheels I want, so every little bit of info helps on figuring out width/poke. Thanks to all
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Wildtrak
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The bead of the tire has to conform to the width of the wheel. A wider tire on a more narrow wheel will bulge, but the contact patch should be fairly consistent. Conversely, a narrow tire on a wider wheel will cause stretch, but again, contact patch should be consistent. There may be a +/-5% or whatever variation, depending.

JR

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As stated, the tread will not change, but you might have 5% more sidewall "poke".

I'm not sure that you could even measure this change, and this places you at the boarder of being an "over-thinker" :unsure:

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
don't worry about rim width. If you don't want too much poke then concentrate on the offset .. as in stay close to stock offset as possible. Most aftermarket wheels is 0 offset and less anyway.

Give me a wheel offset and I will tell you exactly how much poke you will have when compared to stock offset.

On the Tire Rack site and it shows the width of a Toyo 285/75/17 tire is 11.3 on a Measured Rim Width of 8. If the same tire were mounted on a 9 inch wheel, would the 11.3 width change? If so, how - wider/thinner? I am trying to obtain an aftermarket wheel/tire set up that keeps as tucked under the non-Sas flares as possible, and realize I will need to settle in the plus 15-25 range to obtain the wheels I want, so every little bit of info helps on figuring out width/poke. Thanks to all

OP
OP
peterh

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

thanks all, yes overthinking is a huge issue for
me! i am thinking plus 15 wheel with a 285/75/17 because as you go higher positive offset i am concerned that the choices become more limited especially since i am trying to locate a more retro concave wheel - the wheel i am trying to emulate is the ansen sprint type wheel on the stroppe tribute bronco shown on this forum - but that offset is 0 and i am looking for less poke since i am non-sas

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That tire (285/75-17) on a stock (+55) wheel is perfectly flush with non-Sas fender flares. (That’s what I have on my Bronco). So if you go with a +15 offset wheel, that’s 40mm of poke, or about 1-1/2”. No way around that…

Ford Bronco How does "Measured Rim Width" affect tire width, if at all? A0FF1D81-2D01-49B3-9A79-73B09F3C92E9

OP
OP
peterh

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Man that looks really good to me. I am hoping some company comes out with a higher offset wheel that looks like the Ansen slot mags. As much as I want the look, I don't want the poke from the original Ansens which are 0 offset from what I recall.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man that looks really good to me. I am hoping some company comes out with a higher offset wheel that looks like the Ansen slot mags. As much as I want the look, I don't want the poke from the original Ansens which are 0 offset from what I recall.
I agree, I like the flush look. Hopefully, some wheel makers will start accomodating the large offset of the Bronco, maybe offer at least a +35 or something…
Sponsored