First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, we know these are Built Wild... but my wife didn't appreciate it sounding like a hurricane everyday. Who wouldn't want to hear the subtle guitar, bass, drums and notes of your favorite music on the sound system for which you paid? After reading 4+ threads and looking at various modifications people made, I decided to create a single guide here of everything I did to reduce the interior noise. The ideas are not all my own, and credit is due to those individuals whose brilliance came first. Shoutouts to some of those brilliant individuals- jlatigo, mountainbronco, Geo2 and more that I can't put my finger on.

My family says it's significantly quieter now, and I tend to do whatever they say. Hope this helps enhance your ride!

Total cost is about $75. Total install time is ~1 hour if your hard top is already off. If it's not off, what are you waiting for?

Specs
  • 4 Door- most of the below applies to both 2 and 4 door models
  • Wildtrak, Sasquatch
  • MIC Hard Top

Grocery List
(These are not affiliate links. I don't receive anything from you clicking on them!)
  1. KX Automotive Universal New Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip D-Shape (20')
  2. Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In (1 roll)
  3. KX Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping (10')
  4. Automotive Weather Stripping Door Window Rubber Seal Strip Z Shape (Buy the "Z" Shape- you only need about 3' of this, so you'll have a lot left over)
  5. Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation (You need 2 of these)

General Install Notes
  • Clean all surfaces before attempting to stick the adhesive
  • Let the adhesive bond- i.e. flex your muscles and secure firmly!
  • Use a regular scissors to cut things to length- most are approximate, and size doesn't matter as much (right?). The Z Shape strip is more visible, and you probably want to measure (hint, 15.5").
  • Some seals are hidden, and some are visible... take your time. If you screw up, cut a new strip. ;)

From the front of the vehicle working to the back...

Windshield
  • In the front channel, adhere #1 in the Grocery List inside the full length of the channel.
  • Cut 4 short strips of #2 and stick them 2 each, side by side, vertically in the ends of the channel.
  • All of this is hidden with the top on. With the top off, it will either look factory installed or like a small kid used the scissors if you don't cut straight. I have both results.
Windshield.jpg

Front Panels
  • Use the #1 stripping for all of these.
  • Primary guidance is to adhere the middle strip that goes on the Driver’s Front Panel to the slightly raised portion of the roof. Don’t adhere it to the top/roof section as it won’t allow the panel to close enough. It also makes for a cleaner look if you install on the raised portion.
  • The two strips that face the windshield are not visible. The strip that runs between the two panels is minimally visible.
Front Panels.jpg

Mid Panel
  • Secure #3 along the length of the mid panel. This is the curved side of the panel that faces towards the back.
  • Snuggle the stripping right along the edge and you'll look like a pro. This is visible from the inside once installed.
  • Super easy, right?
Mid Panel.jpg

Rear Panel
  • This is the fun one and makes a big sound impact!
  • The picture is probably the best explanation of what goes where.
  • I'm not sure if the top most #3 install is needed- and I forgot to take another picture of it properly adhered. It basically curves along a small section on top. I had some extra stripping, so I used it.
  • The small square of #2 goes on top of a similar, but thinner material that Ford already has in that same place.
  • The Z Shape #4 is great stuff, and I think makes the exterior even look a little sleek (no one ever described a Bronco as sleek, right?). I'd measure this one and cut accordingly- I did 15.5". Adhere it right along the edge of the panel. This helps with wind noise by sealing the gap between the frame of the Bronco and the rear panel.
  • This is not visible except for #4 (Z Shape stripping).
Interior View:
Rear Panel.jpg

Exterior View:
Rear Panel Exterior.jpg

To Pool Noodle or to Wrap Your Pipe
  • I saw various opinions on which material worked best, which ones disintegrated in the elements, how to secure, etc.
  • I decided to use the rubber Armacell pipe wrap - #5 on the Grocery List. It comes in a 6’ length, and I left it as-is.
  • I peeled off the self-adhering tape and stuck it to itself.
  • Rather than figure out how to secure it with the top off and/or how to not make it look bad… I decided I’d simply lay it in the roof gutter when I put the hard top on. Otherwise, it will sit in storage in my garage if the top is off.
  • We’ll see if it lasts- easy and inexpensive to replace.
Armacell Rubber.jpg

So that's about it. I suggest ordering everything and installing all at once when you have the roof off vs string betting the process.

Happy Sound Dampening!
Thanks for the write-up, looks great and am planning to replicate.

Am I missing something or is the "Z" shape option no longer available for that #4 product?
Sponsored

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So, we know these are Built Wild... but my wife didn't appreciate it sounding like a hurricane everyday. Who wouldn't want to hear the subtle guitar, bass, drums and notes of your favorite music on the sound system for which you paid? After reading 4+ threads and looking at various modifications people made, I decided to create a single guide here of everything I did to reduce the interior noise. The ideas are not all my own, and credit is due to those individuals whose brilliance came first. Shoutouts to some of those brilliant individuals- jlatigo, mountainbronco, Geo2 and more that I can't put my finger on.

My family says it's significantly quieter now, and I tend to do whatever they say. Hope this helps enhance your ride!

Total cost is about $75. Total install time is ~1 hour if your hard top is already off. If it's not off, what are you waiting for?

Specs
  • 4 Door- most of the below applies to both 2 and 4 door models
  • Wildtrak, Sasquatch
  • MIC Hard Top

Grocery List
(These are not affiliate links. I don't receive anything from you clicking on them!)
  1. KX Automotive Universal New Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip D-Shape (20')
  2. Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In (1 roll)
  3. KX Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping (10')
  4. Automotive Weather Stripping Door Window Rubber Seal Strip Z Shape (Buy the "Z" Shape- you only need about 3' of this, so you'll have a lot left over)
  5. Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation (You need 2 of these)

General Install Notes
  • Clean all surfaces before attempting to stick the adhesive
  • Let the adhesive bond- i.e. flex your muscles and secure firmly!
  • Use a regular scissors to cut things to length- most are approximate, and size doesn't matter as much (right?). The Z Shape strip is more visible, and you probably want to measure (hint, 15.5").
  • Some seals are hidden, and some are visible... take your time. If you screw up, cut a new strip. ;)

From the front of the vehicle working to the back...

Windshield
  • In the front channel, adhere #1 in the Grocery List inside the full length of the channel.
  • Cut 4 short strips of #2 and stick them 2 each, side by side, vertically in the ends of the channel.
  • All of this is hidden with the top on. With the top off, it will either look factory installed or like a small kid used the scissors if you don't cut straight. I have both results.
Windshield.jpg

Front Panels
  • Use the #1 stripping for all of these.
  • Primary guidance is to adhere the middle strip that goes on the Driver’s Front Panel to the slightly raised portion of the roof. Don’t adhere it to the top/roof section as it won’t allow the panel to close enough. It also makes for a cleaner look if you install on the raised portion.
  • The two strips that face the windshield are not visible. The strip that runs between the two panels is minimally visible.
Front Panels.jpg

Mid Panel
  • Secure #3 along the length of the mid panel. This is the curved side of the panel that faces towards the back.
  • Snuggle the stripping right along the edge and you'll look like a pro. This is visible from the inside once installed.
  • Super easy, right?
Mid Panel.jpg

Rear Panel
  • This is the fun one and makes a big sound impact!
  • The picture is probably the best explanation of what goes where.
  • I'm not sure if the top most #3 install is needed- and I forgot to take another picture of it properly adhered. It basically curves along a small section on top. I had some extra stripping, so I used it.
  • The small square of #2 goes on top of a similar, but thinner material that Ford already has in that same place.
  • The Z Shape #4 is great stuff, and I think makes the exterior even look a little sleek (no one ever described a Bronco as sleek, right?). I'd measure this one and cut accordingly- I did 15.5". Adhere it right along the edge of the panel. This helps with wind noise by sealing the gap between the frame of the Bronco and the rear panel.
  • This is not visible except for #4 (Z Shape stripping).
Interior View:
Rear Panel.jpg

Exterior View:
Rear Panel Exterior.jpg

To Pool Noodle or to Wrap Your Pipe
  • I saw various opinions on which material worked best, which ones disintegrated in the elements, how to secure, etc.
  • I decided to use the rubber Armacell pipe wrap - #5 on the Grocery List. It comes in a 6’ length, and I left it as-is.
  • I peeled off the self-adhering tape and stuck it to itself.
  • Rather than figure out how to secure it with the top off and/or how to not make it look bad… I decided I’d simply lay it in the roof gutter when I put the hard top on. Otherwise, it will sit in storage in my garage if the top is off.
  • We’ll see if it lasts- easy and inexpensive to replace.
Armacell Rubber.jpg

So that's about it. I suggest ordering everything and installing all at once when you have the roof off vs string betting the process.

Happy Sound Dampening!
Definitely bookmarked for future mod.

Did you, or can you recommend anything between the flat bottom of the rear top panel (I have 2dr.) and the top of the Bronco bed (underneath where you remove the 4 screws to detach top)?

Maybe something thin that affixes to the bottom of the top. You'd have to drill holes for the screws and guideposts, but I think I'm getting wind from under there.

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Definitely bookmarked for future mod.

Did you, or can you recommend anything between the flat bottom of the rear top panel (I have 2dr.) and the top of the Bronco bed (underneath where you remove the 4 screws to detach top)?

Maybe something thin that affixes to the bottom of the top. You'd have to drill holes for the screws and guideposts, but I think I'm getting wind from under there.
I've actually thought about using some of the weather stripping for this... haven't done it yet-
Amazon.com: Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In x 10-Ft, 1 Roll, 284426

-Ben

Duke460

Outer Banks
First Name
Earle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks to the OP and contributors. I have a May 21 build OBX and have not had issues with wind noise. Live in the Midwest, no leaks in the car wash.

My wife came out last week and jumped in the truck, door not closed light came on and she slammed the door. Door rattles and wind noise like crazy. Followed the thread on loosing the 2 10mm nuts at the bottom and moved the window back. 5 minute fix to cure the problem. Thought it would be built to withstand slamming the door without the window coming loose.

Well we have the temperature drop and a snow storm. What better time to take the Bronco out. Sound like I was in a windstorm with snow coming in by the roof. I now understand wind noise.

I loosed all the roof clamps, 3mm Allen wrench, and turned the threaded j hook in one turn. Wind noise gone. The gaskets collapsed in the cold weather. A little more tension fixed it.

C88894AD-A7F2-4B34-8A6E-9564EAE4B2A4.jpeg

Sponsored

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am missing that piece on both sides. Let us know what the dealers says.
The dealer ordered the replaced but the cost had to be waved by the salesman, not sure why, something about “missing” parts not covered by warranty, but don’t quote me on that. I will try to install it this weekend but to be hones, not sure it will make a difference. If anyone wants to order these, here are the part numbers,
M2DZ-78255A34-BA (RH)
M2DZ-78255A35-BA (LH)
about $40 each.

firefox33

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The dealer ordered the replaced but the cost had to be waved by the salesman, not sure why, something about “missing” parts not covered by warranty, but don’t quote me on that. I will try to install it this weekend but to be hones, not sure it will make a difference. If anyone wants to order these, here are the part numbers,
M2DZ-78255A34-BA (RH)
M2DZ-78255A35-BA (LH)
about $40 each.
I installed the missing part on the passenger side and my wife says it’s definitely quieter. It definitely fills a gap.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks to the OP and contributors. I have a May 21 build OBX and have not had issues with wind noise. Live in the Midwest, no leaks in the car wash.

My wife came out last week and jumped in the truck, door not closed light came on and she slammed the door. Door rattles and wind noise like crazy. Followed the thread on loosing the 2 10mm nuts at the bottom and moved the window back. 5 minute fix to cure the problem. Thought it would be built to withstand slamming the door without the window coming loose.

Well we have the temperature drop and a snow storm. What better time to take the Bronco out. Sound like I was in a windstorm with snow coming in by the roof. I now understand wind noise.

I loosed all the roof clamps, 3mm Allen wrench, and turned the threaded j hook in one turn. Wind noise gone. The gaskets collapsed in the cold weather. A little more tension fixed it.

C88894AD-A7F2-4B34-8A6E-9564EAE4B2A4.jpeg
I guess you removed the clamps from the panels to turn the J hooks in? My J hooks don’t have enough clearance to turn.

Duke460

Outer Banks
First Name
Earle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
initially I put a plastic shim (bottle cap) under the J hook. Gave me a idea how much I needed to clamp down the hook. Had to tighten 3 of the clamps. Test drove and wind noise went away. After I found tobworks came back and removed the clamp to tighten.

BKXJ

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep XJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ordered all materials and looking forward to attempting these in the coming weeks despite very low wind noise and only over 75mph. Seems to be primarily from cross wind.

Read thru the full thread and noted a few worried contributors in relation to water drainage on the area above the windshield.
Wondering if anyone has just added a much shorter section of rubber right at the center where the two panels meet? Wondering if that would help with sound but also leave plenty room for proper drainage?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ordered all materials and looking forward to attempting these in the coming weeks despite very low wind noise and only over 75mph. Seems to be primarily from cross wind.

Read thru the full thread and noted a few worried contributors in relation to water drainage on the area above the windshield.
Wondering if anyone has just added a much shorter section of rubber right at the center where the two panels meet? Wondering if that would help with sound but also leave plenty room for proper drainage?
It just doesn't get wet in there.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Finished up this project today and when I had the rear clam shell off, I noticed the interior trim piece wasn't seated correctly in the groove of the B-Pillar trim piece with the 3 bolts. It was the one side where it sounded like the window was cracked. Not sure if it was the culprit, but it is worthwhile for others to check to ensure the trim pieces are aligned properly.

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please DSCF2854.JPG

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please DSCF2852.JPG

Overall, I want to thank @orion1224 for taking the time to write up the informative post. I'll be taking it on the highway for test cruise to see if it made any difference. I didn't have a big complaint on noise and I'm used to wind noise on my Jeep. With these simple steps, they can only help. In my case, the passenger B-pillar was the source of the excess wind noise as if a window was cracked.

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Finished up this project today and when I had the rear clam shell off, I noticed the interior trim piece wasn't seated correctly in the groove of the B-Pillar trim piece with the 3 bolts. It was the one side where it sounded like the window was cracked. Not sure if it was the culprit, but it is worthwhile for others to check to ensure the trim pieces are aligned properly.

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please DSCF2852.JPG

Overall, I want to thank @orion1224 for taking the time to write up the informative post. I'll be taking it on the highway for test cruise to see if it made any difference. I didn't have a big complaint on noise and I'm used to wind noise on my Jeep. With these simple steps, they can only help. In my case, the passenger B-pillar was the source of the excess wind noise as if a window was cracked.
Good catch on your fitting. I'll check mine next time the rear is off (too cold here now!).

bronK1TT

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After trying the methods my wind noise has gotten substantially worse, now after removing the seal it's about 3x worse than before I put the seal in, any pointers? Think that front latch is the culprit?
Sponsored