No gas cap, and dusty roads

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've owned many Fords, primarily Ford trucks, but I've never owned a Ford truck without a gas cap. Since I live off a dirt road, and I'll be wheeling off-road, does the gas filler area get coated in dust? I would think that a lot of dust and dirt would work its way into the filler neck and eventually the gas tank.

thanks,
Herb
Sponsored

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Live in dry texas, and also wondering. I supposed you could easily test this by rubber banding a bit of panty hose over the nozzle, if there’s a lip, and see how much it collects. If it’s clean after a month, then the risk is low.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2018 f150 had the same set up as the Bronco never a problem. The filler neck set up is a lot more elaborate than you might think for example keeps gas in in the event of a crash.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I doubt that's an issue. You've got the little flap inside of it, plus the fuel door cover. I imagine there's other things inside we can't see, hence why you need the plastic funnel in your cargo area if you're using a gas can.

I know it won't keep everything out, but it shouldn't collect much - If any - Dust inside the fuel tank.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not an issue that I’ve found. Had this on my work truck F150 since 2013 Off road frequently

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People worry about the weirdest things on here. The F150 has had this feature going on a decade now and is the #1 fleet vehicle for construction companies. I am in Texas and we have never had any issues with our work trucks and excessively dirty fuel filters. Air filters yes, fuel filters no.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're going to buy that, just use a condom... Same thing.
Imagine the reaction of a would be gas thief once the opened the flap and saw a condom on the filler. LOL.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've owned many Fords, primarily Ford trucks, but I've never owned a Ford truck without a gas cap. Since I live off a dirt road, and I'll be wheeling off-road, does the gas filler area get coated in dust? I would think that a lot of dust and dirt would work its way into the filler neck and eventually the gas tank.

thanks,
Herb
Live in dry texas, and also wondering. I supposed you could easily test this by rubber banding a bit of panty hose over the nozzle, if there’s a lip, and see how much it collects. If it’s clean after a month, then the risk is low.
Technically it does have a gas filler cap, it's just EasyFill.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This got me wondering about how much dust gets behind the gas filler door. Every time I clean my Bronco after an off road trip, I'm careful to clean the dust out of the door jams, out of the tailgate area, and even under the hood, but I've never bothered to remove the dust from the gas filler area, even though I do that on my other cars. So I just went out and checked and there was a tiny bit of dust in there, but not much. Definitely not enough to worry about.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I drove a Ford work truck with the same no-gascap setup on dusty gravel roads, thousands of km per month. Probably 100,000 km a year of dusty gravel. Never once had an issue. This is not new tech by any stretch of the imagination.

DEC

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 640, Mustang Bullitt, Mazda 3, Honda Accord,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was worried when I put the nozzle in the first time and the filler tube was not fixed.

OP
OP

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People worry about the weirdest things on here...
That's what happens when you have months and months to think about a Bronco that still hasn't shown up.

Seriously though, I have a Police Interceptor and an Excursion, and dust, and water, gets behind the fuel door.
Sponsored