Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Went back and forth on the subject. Should I remove the modular bumper? Should I go with factory, JCR, Rough Country? Sorry Mabett. Your timeline to manufacturing is too long. I decided price was gonna be the defining factor. How far it sticks out, approach angle and other factors weren’t that different.

Rough Country High Winch Mount:
I will say the instructions aren’t that great. I found it much easier to install the bottom half of the mount first. was having a tough time balancing the weight of the mount and winch to attach it to the bumper. Mounting the bottom half gave me room to get my hands in there as well. Then I mounted the winch to the plate. I followed up by wiring it, then mounting the top plate to the bottom half. The instructions also call for shaving down the back of the sensor they provide. This was not the case with the winch I chose. I think each winch will differ in that step.

Smittybilt Winch:
Pretty cut and dry. I just wired the longer cables before I bolted the plate down. It’s tough to work behind the RC mount, it’s pretty tight to the grill. Removed all the decals and painted the “Smittybilt” and the switch for free spool.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150VAI?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_X9K6SBMZCMGCJKQ54PAT

Control Box Relocation:
I decided to mount it to the lid of the fuse box. Was a simple install and it wasn't going to eat up space on the other side of the motor. Saving that for ARB compressor and maybe train horn. I used the Warn kit. Only needed the cables and black rubber boots.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANYN2G2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_R4PZ7CFEPPNMRR261BBV

823ED22B-A6CB-4AF2-AA09-6198561E02DC.jpeg

E7AF1904-8055-4FB1-8A4F-BF3B8FF99DE2.jpeg

74A93C72-0E6B-428D-B07F-CAF9A6380D4A.jpeg

A098518A-7B06-498B-A605-2352BD39F5B6.jpeg

66576545-99DB-490B-A9DB-B282E1B4D9B1.jpeg

82F3EC10-5811-4303-8E79-866659892B7D.jpeg

4DD06805-95F6-46D7-B6A3-C7238081C476.jpeg
I am looking to do pretty much what you've done here with the RC mount. Was thinking of going with the Apex 12k winch, but the smitty seems a little smaller. Is this the 10k xr20? How did you mount to the top of the fuse box?
Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I relocated the guts of the apex control box into this project box. I have it stuck to the fuse box with velcro command strips. I can access the switch and physical port on the side. It’s overhanging a little bit on purpose since I ran the cables up into the box to avoid bends at the terminals. 6’ 2 awg cable down from the box, under the car battery, towards the radiator, out to the bumper on the driver’s side, along the gap between body and bumper behind winch to passenger side of the winch. Just barely enough cable this way. I recommend batterycablesusa. Fast shipping and high quality.
Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation B52264F4-F435-4874-89DB-6FE9B239A837

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I relocated the guts of the apex control box into this project box. I have it stuck to the fuse box with velcro command strips. I can access the switch and physical port on the side. It’s overhanging a little bit on purpose since I ran the cables up into the box to avoid bends at the terminals. 6’ 2 awg cable down from the box, under the car battery, towards the radiator, out to the bumper on the driver’s side, along the gap between body and bumper behind winch to passenger side of the winch. Just barely enough cable this way. I recommend batterycablesusa. Fast shipping and high quality.
Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount & Winch Install w/ Control Box Relocation B52264F4-F435-4874-89DB-6FE9B239A837
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm starting to lean more towards the smittybilt x20 gen2 because both the winch and control box are a little smaller than the badland, but I'm still keeping this as an option.

OP
OP
BroncoSarge

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am looking to do pretty much what you've done here with the RC mount. Was thinking of going with the Apex 12k winch, but the smitty seems a little smaller. Is this the 10k xr20? How did you mount to the top of the fuse box?
Yes. It is the 10k X20. I took the screws off the bottom of the control box and put them back through the fuse cover.

ByrdDogX

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed my winch and mount yesterday. I couldnt really tell a difference in ride height. It might sag a little bit. Here's a before/after side shot. Top with winch, bottom without.

I installed mine and have a similar sag. I can tell a difference in ride, as I think it is a little stiffer in the front now. Thought about installing the Bilstein adjustable shocks to see if that offset it. Would just prefer the performance of the shocks over a leveling kit.

Sponsored

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed mine and have a similar sag. I can tell a difference in ride, as I think it is a little stiffer in the front now. Thought about installing the Bilstein adjustable shocks to see if that offset it. Would just prefer the performance of the shocks over a leveling kit.
I noticed the same thing. A bit stiffer in front. I recently installed the Broncbuster 1.5" suspension lift. My Bronco almost sits level. About 0.25" taller in the back. Fine by me. I'd rather have more in the back anyway.

BHD2012

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Subaru Outback, 2012 Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Hossamus Prime @Raskew @ne2000 @Razorbak86

No issues at all with relocation or camera angle. I'm chalking this one up as a success.

That looks fantastic! I just installed the Apex Badland 12k on the RC high winch today and may try to implement your camera relocation idea.

I did have a question on your fairlead. Did you paint it? If so with what?

Thanks,

Bo

BHD2012

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent recommendation with Batterycablesusa.com. 2 AWG with custmizable tip and length at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Bo

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks fantastic! I just installed the Apex Badland 12k on the RC high winch today and may try to implement your camera relocation idea.

I did have a question on your fairlead. Did you paint it? If so with what?

Thanks,

Bo
Thanks. I used undercoating. I did the fairlead and the engagement lever. I like the light texture it has, and it adhered well (after Scotchbriting it). It's faded to a lighter gray after about 6 months. I may Raptor line it next time I have the product out.

I really like how the blackout simplifies the look of the install over the bright aluminum.

BHD2012

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I used undercoating. I did the fairlead and the engagement lever. I like the light texture it has, and it adhered well (after Scotchbriting it). It's faded to a lighter gray after about 6 months. I may Raptor line it next time I have the product out.

I really like how the blackout simplifies the look of the install over the bright aluminum.
Sounds good. The stock Badland fairlead does stands out a bit. I like the texture and might give undercoating a try but will probably leave the mouth of the fairlead bare to lessen abrasion to the line. I plan to use the winch a lot for landscaping. Or I may try using gloss paint for the high friction areas. Regardless, thanks again for the ideas!

Sponsored

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds good. The stock Badland fairlead does stands out a bit. I like the texture and might give undercoating a try but will probably leave the mouth of the fairlead bare to lessen abrasion to the line. I plan to use the winch a lot for landscaping. Or I may try using gloss paint for the high friction areas. Regardless, thanks again for the ideas!
I’m planning to replace mine with a lower profile dark aluminum. Cheap on Amazon.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wasn't a fan of the RC light bar... and I liked the way the RC grille resembled the Badlands grille... so at first I mounted a "stealth" light bar behind the RC grille.

I needed to move the control box (cooling issues)... and I needed to solve the camera issue. I figured I could always put lights elsewhere... but there was only one place I wanted to put that camera. I've got another set of pods for my cowl to replace the light bar from the winch.

After a lot of different configurations, I'm finally satisfied where I'm at.
Looks nice.
You're /were having cooling issues in WA 😲??? Does the winch really block that much air flow?
What temps were you running?

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks nice.
You're /were having cooling issues in WA 😲??? Does the winch really block that much air flow?
What temps were you running?
High 220s low 230s on lengthy uphill highway sections... and sometimes on trails with lots of inclines.

I solved most of the airflow issues by relocating the control box for the winch under the hood. Also fabbed up a way to relocate my camera underneath the winch... so I had to remove the "stealth" lightbar behind the grille. Fabbed up some brackets to mount some 4" spots in the space between the brush guard and the winch... that was a tight fit. Also blacked out the fairlead and engagement lever for a cleaner look. Pretty happy with the form and function now.

Screenshot_20230105_233206_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
BroncoSarge

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I solved most of the airflow issues by relocating the control box for the winch under the hood.
Those Badlands are huge. Smittybilt with relocated control pack smaller.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those Badlands are huge. Smittybilt with relocated control pack smaller.
Yep. I was considering it until I read all the tight fitting posts. Went with the ComeUp Seal Slim 9.5 because it looked (and evidentially is) smaller than the Badland and Warn.
Chose 9.5k over the 12k Slim because it was lighter. I'm not starting a recovery business...
Sponsored