Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First impressions (in the order I drove them):

First I wanted to drive some Bronco competition:
EcoDiesel JL: This JL was a decked out base model 4 door hard top. It felt pretty small on the inside. I'm pretty short (5'8") and so is my wife (5'5") so it wasn't uncomfortable for us, but for larger people it might be. The EcoDiesel was really nice. Power felt "adequate". (I kind of have a lead foot and like to go fast) Road noise wasn't bad at all with the hard top, which has me excited for a hard top on the Bronco.

V6 Gladiator: This was a decked out Rubi ($62k) hard top. It was also a bit cramped on the inside. Man, the V6 in this vehicle made it feel under powered. I felt like I was driving my wife's minivan. I've never driven a Wrangler or Gladiator before, so this was a completely new experience for me. Both vehicles really want to fight you to stay in your lane. I didn't know what "loose steering" meant before I drove them, but I do now. These would not be fun vehicles to drive at high speeds for long distances. We took the front two panels off the Gladiator hard top and blared the premium Alpine sound system. It was good not great. Premium sound system feels mandatory for vehicles that you will be driving with the top off. Lux package for me now, sigh.

The only reason I drove the F150 and the Ranger was to get a feel for the engines.
2.7 F150 (Velocity Blue!!) Supercab: Wow, super peppy. Gunning it at 50mpH pressed me against the seat. Was easy to drive. Way easier than both the JL and Gladiator. I really liked velocity blue, but by the end of the drive I was tired of it really. A little too much blue for me. Looks better on a Mustang than a large truck, IMO. I think I eliminated it from Bronco contention.
2.3 Ranger: I'd say the engine is adequate, felt similar to the EcoDiesel in the JL, maybe a little less power. Nobody will be disappointed with it, but hands down I'm going with the 2.7. (Again, I have a lead foot so your mileage may vary)

If you are like me and are new to an off-road vehicle, I'd go make the rounds and drive a Wrangler, Gladiator, and then to get a feel for the engines go drive a Ranger and an F150. Sure did clear up a lot of questions I had.
Sponsored

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

EcoDiesel JL: This JL was a decked out base model 4 door hard top. It felt pretty small on the inside. I'm pretty short (5'8") and so is my wife (5'5") so it wasn't uncomfortable for us, but for larger people it might be. The EcoDiesel was really nice. Power felt "adequate". (I kind of have a lead foot and like to go fast) Road noise wasn't bad at all with the hard top, which has me excited for a hard top on the Bronco.

V6 Gladiator: This was a decked out Rubi ($62k) hard top. It was also a bit cramped on the inside. Man, the V6 in this vehicle made it feel under powered. I felt like I was driving my wife's minivan. I've never driven a Wrangler or Gladiator before, so this was a completely new experience for me. Both vehicles really want to fight you to stay in your lane. I didn't know what "loose steering" meant before I drove them, but I do now. These would not be fun vehicles to drive at high speeds for long distances. We took the front two panels off the Gladiator hard top and blared the premium Alpine sound system. It was good not great. Premium sound system feels mandatory for vehicles that you will be driving with the top off. Lux package for me now, sigh.

The only reason I drove the F150 and the Ranger was to get a feel for the engines.
2.7 F150 (Velocity Blue!!) Supercab: Wow, super peppy. Gunning it at 50mpH pressed me against the seat. Was easy to drive. Way easier than both the JL and Gladiator. I really liked velocity blue, but by the end of the drive I was tired of it really. A little too much blue for me. Looks better on a Mustang than a large truck, IMO. I think I eliminated it from Bronco contention.
2.3 Ranger: I'd say the engine is adequate, felt similar to the EcoDiesel in the JL, maybe a little less power. Nobody will be disappointed with it, but hands down I'm going with the 2.7. (Again, I have a lead foot so your mileage may vary)

If you are like me and are new to an off-road vehicle, I'd go make the rounds and drive a Wrangler, Gladiator, and then to get a feel for the engines go drive a Ranger and an F150. Sure did clear up a lot of questions I had.
I have driven all of those and I guess this really is about eye of the beholder. Because when I drove the Gladiator I really liked it. I thought it was really fun and had plenty of power and for me it looks badass and different from all the other trucks out there. Inner think I did not like was the line of sight... The rearview mirror felt like it was right in my way the whole time and I also thought the side mirrors where really small... But am coming from F150 which has huge side mirrors.
It just do happens that I like the Bronco a lot more and with my F150 it had been excellent that I feel really good about another Ford product. Otherwise I would be in a Gladiator.

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have driven all of those and I guess this really is about eye of the beholder. Because when I drove the Gladiator I really liked it. I thought it was really fun and had plenty of power and for me it looks badass and different from all the other trucks out there. Inner think I did not like was the line of sight... The rearview mirror felt like it was right in my way the whole time and I also thought the side mirrors where really small... But am coming from F150 which has huge side mirrors.
It just do happens that I like the Bronco a lot more and with my F150 it had been excellent that I feel really good about another Ford product. Otherwise I would be in a Gladiator.
Definitely wasn't poopooing Jeeps. I like the Wrangler and the Gladiator. But for my driving style, I wouldn't be able handle anything less than than the EcoDiesel in either vehicle.

In general I was actually way more impressed with both the Wrangler and the Gladiator than I thought I would be. But that steering, man, that would need some getting used to.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think driving the competition and learning about how the hard and soft tops work and lockers and disconnect etc is a great way to prepare for December.

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove the ranger. I think I want more. Gonna go 2.7

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove the ranger. I think I want more. Gonna go 2.7
The F150 has to be a lot heavier vehicle than the Bronco right? I think the 2.7 in the Bronco is going to absolutely fly. It felt great in the F150.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The key with the 2.7 is to run premium fuel and in sport mode. I hear it comes alive when those two things are present.

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good write up ... thank you!

KCBRUIN

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 screw 3.5eb
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As this thread is for comparisons sake, I find this comment to be odd, because I’m not sure I’ve heard the 4Runner referred to as “peppy” before. The 6 speed Wrangler JK with a pentastar was faster than a 4Runner. So I know the 8 speed JL is faster than a still 5 speed 4Runner.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up. I have not driven the EcoDiesel, so that's an interesting comparison. My impression of the Pentastar was similar to yours. I think the issue is HP and Torque curves, not net #'s. It's just not matched well for the Jeep application IMO. And to the Jeep steering/tracking (my #1 issue with my Jeep), here is to hoping the Bronco can hold a lane!

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The F150 has to be a lot heavier vehicle than the Bronco right? I think the 2.7 in the Bronco is going to absolutely fly. It felt great in the F150.
4,858 lbs. for a supercrew and 2.7; about the same.

jswing

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the feedback. I considered the Gladiator before I bought my Ranger, but 5.7% vs 0% financing for the Ford, I never even bothered driving it. Having a Ranger, I've been thinking all along that the 2.3 was fine, but it would probably be a lot more fine with that 2.7.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored