Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was under the assumption that in sport mode, 4A is engaged and on standby just in case you have slippage. I notice that my steering feels like it pulls under acceleration leading me to think that 4A activates 4wd under acceleration.

anyone know if this is true?
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was under the assumption that in sport mode, 4A is engaged and on standby just in case you have slippage. I notice that my steering feels like it pulls under acceleration leading me to think that 4A activates 4wd under acceleration.

4A slightly engages during acceleration to help prevent rear wheels breaking traction and then stops. Watch your power distribution screen. You can see power goes to all four wheels during acceleration and then just to the rears.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There’s a power distribution window available on the display, switch to that and accelerate.

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When you have good traction and are driving in a mostly straight line, 4A will engage the front wheels which might feel similar to 4H but allows for slip. I know that when I test drove the bronco a few times if I floored it the vehicle felt a little squirrely. Is it pulling or just feel 'different'?

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All 4 engage when I floor it in 4A from a dead stop. Seems normal.

Sponsored

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, same here. Don't waste your time looking at the power distribution screen as the "pull" occurs even when the screen shows zero power going to the fronts. Very weird sensation.

JTK37

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup, same here. Don't waste your time looking at the power distribution screen as the "pull" occurs even when the screen shows zero power going to the fronts. Very weird sensation.

Aman- I happen to be in North Jersey too

When I use 4A in slippery conditions- I rarely use sport mode, I feel what I would describe as an increase in drag in the drivetrain, even though it should function in 2WD until slip is detected. Have you noticed a similar sensation?

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I use 4A in slippery conditions- I rarely use sport mode, I feel what I would describe as an increase in drag in the drivetrain, even though it should function in 2WD until slip is detected. Have you noticed a similar sensation?
Hi Joe,

Yup, this is exactly what I feel. There has to be a good reason for it, but I don't have any clue what that reason is.

OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Definitely different than my Tahoe with 4A. The Tahoe seems like the front only engages when slippage occurs. The Bronco seems to engage under moderate acceleration.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, this is exactly what I feel. There has to be a good reason for it, but I don't have any clue what that reason is.
I feel the same thing, it's the difference between the fronts free-wheeling in 2H but being pre-engaged/engaged when in 4A, it's the extra drag of the gears, diff, front tires, etc.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I recently posted, what appears to be unpopular, :confused: question similar to this. For me my question is why is 4A okay in sports mode but not okay in slippery mode (on the road of course) to which I got a bunch of typical B6G jerk answers (some but definitely not all)

Anyway, my point is, that alot of us had originally thought that 4A meant running in 2H but with 4H on standbye and it DOES appear to be the opposite.

It basically uses 4H whenever possible and only disengages back to 2H when it detects binding or you're off, or barley on, the throttle.

Some folks run 4A all the time, other people that own other Fords they've been running it for years (but haven't confirmed if it behaves the same as in the Bronco).

For me...4A sounds like it's okay anytime ROAD conditions may be "traction compromised"...be it snow, ice, or heavy rain.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are you sure you are not feeling the small tightening up of the suspension and steering response? Many claims the only effect of Sport is changing shift points and locking out 9th and 10th. Myself it seems to tighten up the vehicle , not a such or as noticeable as my BMW X4 but still noticeable to me

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recently posted, what appears to be unpopular, :confused: question similar to this. For me my question is why is 4A okay in sports mode but not okay in slippery mode (on the road of course) to which I got a bunch of typical B6G jerk answers (some but definitely not all)
Thats because the manual literally says that 4A is the default 4wd mode for Slippery. This is for my 2021 BL 2.7 auto with 4A. Perhaps you were looking at an out dated manual or a manual that was not for a 4A equipped vehicle?

Ford Bronco Sport mode and 4A engagement 1672841335872

Anyway, my point is, that alot of us had originally thought that 4A meant running in 2H but with 4H on standbye and it DOES appear to be the opposite.
Anybody who bothered to read the manual didn't think that.

Ford Bronco Sport mode and 4A engagement 1672841266936

Let it go already.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thats because the manual literally says that 4A is the default 4wd mode for Slippery. This is for my 2021 BL 2.7 auto with 4A. Perhaps you were looking at an out dated manual or a manual that was not for a 4A equipped vehicle?

Anybody who bothered to read the manual didn't think that.

Let it go already.

Relax there dude. You can highlight all you want, there are plenty of pages of irrelevant data that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about that can be highlighted.

I hate to break this to you, I hope you're sitting down, but Ford isn't known for publishing accurate information and their owners manual is full of conflicting statements.

I'm just simply pointing out another spot where it conflicts. Don't get your panties all wadded up.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Relax there dude. You can highlight all you want, there are plenty of pages of irrelevant data that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about that can be highlighted.

I hate to break this to you, I hope you're sitting down, but Ford isn't known for publishing accurate information and their owners manual is full of conflicting statements.

I'm just simply pointing out another spot where it conflicts. Don't get your panties all wadded up.

The sections highlighted are completely relevant as they clarify the misinformation you keep posting.
Sponsored