JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After trying the methods my wind noise has gotten substantially worse, now after removing the seal it's about 3x worse than before I put the seal in, any pointers? Think that front latch is the culprit?
(This is on a 4DR) We did the methods described as well and our 'overall' noise seems to be better and we can hear better when talking to someone in the backseat but now we're seeming to get extra noise from the front lip of the two front panels. The noise at the front wasn't as bad for the first ~6 months of ownership. However, our top was completely off for a few months so I'm not sure if it's related to seals on the top or bronco changing or if it's due to changes we made by adding additional sound/windproofing elsewhere.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I did the off-rodeo, we drove very little on the actual pavement and it was pretty slow. Since then I just threads about people talking about how noisy the MIC is and I was pretty concerned.

Finally got my Bronco, drove it home 160 mi on the freeway, and there is no extra wind noise to speak of. It's quieter than my JKUR with KM3s on it. Is it as quiet as a luxury sedan... No .... But it's not supposed to be.

so I don't know if I just lucked out, or of some folks just aren't used to driving in rigs like this and expected them to be totally quiet like some cars.

one thing I did notice is that my MIC has felt all around the latches (But you can tell it's a separate and thinner piece). I also have roof rails so maybe that's it?

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is good stuff. I would recommend finding and EPDM version of the Duck seal you used and the Duck seal can hold water. Awesome work though. This will help a lot of people.

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, we know these are Built Wild... but my wife didn't appreciate it sounding like a hurricane everyday. Who wouldn't want to hear the subtle guitar, bass, drums and notes of your favorite music on the sound system for which you paid? After reading 4+ threads and looking at various modifications people made, I decided to create a single guide here of everything I did to reduce the interior noise. The ideas are not all my own, and credit is due to those individuals whose brilliance came first. Shoutouts to some of those brilliant individuals- jlatigo, mountainbronco, Geo2 and more that I can't put my finger on.

My family says it's significantly quieter now, and I tend to do whatever they say. Hope this helps enhance your ride!

Total cost is about $75. Total install time is ~1 hour if your hard top is already off. If it's not off, what are you waiting for?

Specs
  • 4 Door- most of the below applies to both 2 and 4 door models
  • Wildtrak, Sasquatch
  • MIC Hard Top

Grocery List
(These are not affiliate links. I don't receive anything from you clicking on them!)
  1. KX Automotive Universal New Weather Stripping EPDM Rubber Seal Strip D-Shape (20')
  2. Duck Brand Self Adhesive Foam Weatherstrip Seal for Extra Large Gaps, 3/4-In x 1/2-In (1 roll)
  3. KX Automotive Universal D-Shape Door Seal 0.47" Height X 0.55" Width Weather Stripping (10')
  4. Automotive Weather Stripping Door Window Rubber Seal Strip Z Shape (Buy the "Z" Shape- you only need about 3' of this, so you'll have a lot left over)
  5. Armacell 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Rubber Self-Seal Pipe Wrap Insulation (You need 2 of these)

General Install Notes
  • Clean all surfaces before attempting to stick the adhesive
  • Let the adhesive bond- i.e. flex your muscles and secure firmly!
  • Use a regular scissors to cut things to length- most are approximate, and size doesn't matter as much (right?). The Z Shape strip is more visible, and you probably want to measure (hint, 15.5").
  • Some seals are hidden, and some are visible... take your time. If you screw up, cut a new strip. ;)

From the front of the vehicle working to the back...

Windshield
  • In the front channel, adhere #1 in the Grocery List inside the full length of the channel.
  • Cut 4 short strips of #2 and stick them 2 each, side by side, vertically in the ends of the channel.
  • All of this is hidden with the top on. With the top off, it will either look factory installed or like a small kid used the scissors if you don't cut straight. I have both results.
Windshield.jpg

Front Panels
  • Use the #1 stripping for all of these.
  • Primary guidance is to adhere the middle strip that goes on the Driverā€™s Front Panel to the slightly raised portion of the roof. Donā€™t adhere it to the top/roof section as it wonā€™t allow the panel to close enough. It also makes for a cleaner look if you install on the raised portion.
  • The two strips that face the windshield are not visible. The strip that runs between the two panels is minimally visible.
Front Panels.jpg

Mid Panel
  • Secure #3 along the length of the mid panel. This is the curved side of the panel that faces towards the back.
  • Snuggle the stripping right along the edge and you'll look like a pro. This is visible from the inside once installed.
  • Super easy, right?
Mid Panel.jpg

Rear Panel
  • This is the fun one and makes a big sound impact!
  • The picture is probably the best explanation of what goes where.
  • I'm not sure if the top most #3 install is needed- and I forgot to take another picture of it properly adhered. It basically curves along a small section on top. I had some extra stripping, so I used it.
  • The small square of #2 goes on top of a similar, but thinner material that Ford already has in that same place.
  • The Z Shape #4 is great stuff, and I think makes the exterior even look a little sleek (no one ever described a Bronco as sleek, right?). I'd measure this one and cut accordingly- I did 15.5". Adhere it right along the edge of the panel. This helps with wind noise by sealing the gap between the frame of the Bronco and the rear panel.
  • This is not visible except for #4 (Z Shape stripping).
Interior View:
Rear Panel.jpg

Exterior View:
Rear Panel Exterior.jpg

To Pool Noodle or to Wrap Your Pipe
  • I saw various opinions on which material worked best, which ones disintegrated in the elements, how to secure, etc.
  • I decided to use the rubber Armacell pipe wrap - #5 on the Grocery List. It comes in a 6ā€™ length, and I left it as-is.
  • I peeled off the self-adhering tape and stuck it to itself.
  • Rather than figure out how to secure it with the top off and/or how to not make it look badā€¦ I decided Iā€™d simply lay it in the roof gutter when I put the hard top on. Otherwise, it will sit in storage in my garage if the top is off.
  • Weā€™ll see if it lasts- easy and inexpensive to replace.
Armacell Rubber.jpg

So that's about it. I suggest ordering everything and installing all at once when you have the roof off vs string betting the process.

Happy Sound Dampening!
this is awesome. after installing TrailRax roof rack with light bar wind noise has doubled. I can't take the noise with speed over 50.

I have to do this. my MIC did not come with OEM sound deadening liner. do you think if I add some Kilmat sheets would make any difference? appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP
orion1224

orion1224

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak 4Dr Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
this is awesome. after installing TrailRax roof rack with light bar wind noise has doubled. I can't take the noise with speed over 50.

I have to do this. my MIC did not come with OEM sound deadening liner. do you think if I add some Kilmat sheets would make any difference? appreciate your thoughts.
I donā€™t have personal experience with the Kilmat, but have heard good things. You can also buy the fore version and stick it on. I think Kilmat is higher quality.

Sponsored

Denny Swift

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
718 Spyder, 992 GTS, Citroen 2CV, Husky FE350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I did the off-rodeo, we drove very little on the actual pavement and it was pretty slow. Since then I just threads about people talking about how noisy the MIC is and I was pretty concerned.

Finally got my Bronco, drove it home 160 mi on the freeway, and there is no extra wind noise to speak of. It's quieter than my JKUR with KM3s on it. Is it as quiet as a luxury sedan... No .... But it's not supposed to be.

so I don't know if I just lucked out, or of some folks just aren't used to driving in rigs like this and expected them to be totally quiet like some cars.

one thing I did notice is that my MIC has felt all around the latches (But you can tell it's a separate and thinner piece). I also have roof rails so maybe that's it?
My experience is similar. Wind noise isnā€™t really an issue. Yeah, itā€™s louder than the Mini Clubman that the Bronco replaced, but Iā€™ve done several 150+ mile trips on the highway, and the cabin is really not loud. We just returned from a long trip. We had an 8 hour flight, a 4 hour layover, and an 18 hour flight only to have a 2 hour drive home! I was exhausted and cranky to say the least and in a mood where a noisy car would be the last straw. I drove home without the radio to distract me, and yet, found the road/wind noise to be minimal. Maybe I was comparing it to the white noise of the cabin during my flights, but Iā€™m very satisfied with the sound level in the Bronco given what this vehicle is.

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice write-up! Sad that folks need to go to these lengths when much of this should be incorporated from the factory.

Anyways, for the picture below, does this not impact the water drainage from your roof? I'd be worried that this could easily cause a back up of water, especially if you've got a little bit of pine needles or debris in the channel. Just a thought to keep an eye open for over time I suppose.

1662947943237.png
It will, yes. In fact, several of the fixes he did are filling the drain channels that could cause leaking or water intrusion in rain.

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is good stuff. I would recommend finding and EPDM version of the Duck seal you used and the Duck seal can hold water. Awesome work though. This will help a lot of people.
What is EPDM?

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks

Sponsored

margareedaville

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Killmat 100%, then go with this stuff to cover as a headliner. I love it. https://a.co/d/0nrRnT7

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a MY23 Badlands 2DR delivered about 3 wks ago. I noticed the tops don't quite align. There is a slight uplift. I was expecting to see a flatter line between the back of the front panels to the rear panel. I attached pics. You can see how the front is a little higher than the back. Is it supposed to be like that?? And yes, I have wind noise right at the windshield area.

drivers side.jpg

passenger side.jpg

Last edited:

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a MY23 Badlands 2DR delivered about 3 wks ago. I noticed the tops don't quite align. There is a slight uplift. I was expecting to see a flatter line between the back of the front panels to the rear panel. I attached pics. You can see how the front is a little higher than the back. Is it supposed to be like that?? And yes, I have wind noise right at the windshield area.

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please passenger side

Ford Bronco MIC Noise Reduction Guide - wind sound- aka more (or less) cowbell please passenger side
Yes, normal. Same as mind. There are several threads that cover wind noise with good recommendations that appear to work.

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, normal. Same as mind. There are several threads that cover wind noise with good recommendations that appear to work.
Oh good. I feel a little better that itā€™s ā€œnormalā€ to be somewhat offset. Iā€™ll have to work on the noise with some great ideas Iā€™ve read here. Thanks for the confirmation.

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I may have missed it in this thread, but how many db decrease are people seeing with these mods?
Sponsored