TNMainer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Evening all,

We split residency between Tennessee(primary) and Maine and recently found a dealer with a dropped reservation prior to it being built in Maine. We could still make some changes. All was going well. They made some changes such as color etc. They were aware of our Tennessee residency and our second home with a 25 minute drive from there dealership. We were excited for the dealer to be located in ME as we would be residents in the next few years.

Pretty far into the conversation they sent the following. The next communication was expected to be the new/ballpark MSRP based on the changes and the the amount for the deposit. I've purchased a few cars out of state in my youth when I was looking for used sports cars never ran into the following. Is this normal? I told them I wouldn't pay above MSRP earlier on the conversation. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all.

Ford Bronco 5k over MSRP when titling out of state? 1000000788

Background:
We we're waiting for the ordering banks to open again. However, we're only interested in a MIC top due to long road trips and decided to take a run at dropped orders. We really can't wait until 2024+ for a new vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought my 2dr OBX from a dealer in Maine. I’m in NY. It was their demo. They wanted 10k ADM when I first contacted them. A month later they wanted 5k over and a few weeks after that (Dec of 21) they were willing to come way down to move it. There was no mention of any sort of requirement of xx amount over msrp. Sounds like BS.

Booback

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xxx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Evening all,

We split residency between Tennessee(primary) and Maine and recently found a dealer with a dropped reservation prior to it being built in Maine. We could still make some changes. All was going well. They made some changes such as color etc. They were aware of our Tennessee residency and our second home with a 25 minute drive from there dealership. We were excited for the dealer to be located in ME as we would be residents in the next few years.

Pretty far into the conversation they sent the following. The next communication was expected to be the new/ballpark MSRP based on the changes and the the amount for the deposit. I've purchased a few cars out of state in my youth when I was looking for used sports cars never ran into the following. Is this normal? I told them I wouldn't pay above MSRP earlier on the conversation. Any input is appreciated. Thanks all.

Background:
We we're waiting for the ordering banks to open again. However, we're only interested in a MIC top due to long road trips and decided to take a run at dropped orders. We really can't wait until 2024+ for a new vehicle.
It’s BS. I live in MD and took delivery in PA today after 1000 days of my order. Paid regular state title fees.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Evening all,

1000000788.png

Background:

I am in a similar boat with dual residencies and bought a Bronco for each residence. Before getting to particulars of what I ended up doing, let me first say there is nothing about being an out of state buyer that requires them to sell over MSRP. I believe it is more of an excuse.

The claim however may be dealer owner/management policy where they do not want to deal with out of state sales so they put a big markup on them. That could be because of abnormal tax and titling procedures. I doubt this is the case so still lean towards the claim being an excuse to toss on ADM at this time.

In my case, when it came time to take delivery, I wanted to title and register it in TX, the state my dealer was in which is my secondary residency. I wanted to keep in TX. But there was a small hitch. When I reserved it two years earlier, and subsequently ordered it, I had used my primary residence as the address. Due to name and address match requirement, they were concerned that I would lose price protection. So we completed the sale as a "out of state" sale and it was at MSRP. I did get the price protection which was close to 5% of the sale. The hassle for me now is changing the registration and title and having out of state plates till that is done.

So like others, I call BS, but not sure what you can do other than walk away and hope they change. I have discovered dealers, even after making ridiculous claims, continue to act like the claims are fact so to get around the claim they need some plausible excuse to let them back down while maintaining the fiction that they didn't just lie to you.

Sponsored

Rjacks258

Wildtrak
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2019 Ford F250, 2009 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

A lot of dealers were/are charging more for out of state residents. ‘Required’ probably just means their in-house policy. I personally don’t think $5k over is too bad for such a highly sought vehicle, but that’s my limit. But that’s just me, you’ll read many stories about vehicles with an ADM, not just Bronco. Wait to order or keep searching for MSRP. But MSRP could be $5k more by year end for all we know.

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is nothing “extra” for dealers to do with out of state sales (at least between ME and NY). My OBX came with temporary tags from Maine and I needed to go to NYS DMV to register it and pay NYS taxes. It actually couldn’t have been easier for the Maine dealer other than delivering it to me (we met in CT).

I agree with the comment above about $5k over not being that bad. My son just bought a used Audi and half the cars in the showroom had dealer markups of 5-15k.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Evening all,

Background:
Will they do the Tennessee titling and registration for you, or just give you a transfer plate, and you pay sales tax & registration in TN? Anyway, thats BS to me.

OP
OP

TNMainer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sponsored
OP
OP

TNMainer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot of dealers were/are charging more for out of state residents. ‘Required’ probably just means their in-house policy. I personally don’t think $5k over is too bad for such a highly sought vehicle, but that’s my limit. But that’s just me, you’ll read many stories about vehicles with an ADM, not just Bronco. Wait to order or keep searching for MSRP. But MSRP could be $5k more by year end for all we know.
Apples to apples I'd rather give Ford my money than a dealer trying to squeeze my berries for some extra cash. I think it's just a personal line in the sand for me not to pay above MSRP.

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My BS detector is pegged, but it is a game of chicken at this point. Who will blink first.

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could be a dealer rule.. certainly not state, fed or other legal issue.

Are they asking for a deposit? Do you know when it will be built? If not, and you are not signing anything, I wouldn't worry about it till you know more. If its just an order, there's no telling when it will be built so why argue about it now.

Broncojbl

Wildtrak
First Name
JBL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW Clubman, Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I spoke with a dealer who made the same claim. however, I buy cars out of my state all the time, so I challenged him and he admitted it was dealership policy. I went on to my next call, another out of state dealer and picked up my WT the following day at MSRP.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Evening all,

Background:
I would tell them to pound sand!!!!!!!
Sponsored