Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. And to add to this, no one is saying Ford can't build a purpose-built vehicle. In fact, the IFS fans are actually MORE open ... But you guys are the ones saying "EVERY BRONCO SHOULD HAVE ...
No one, literally no one is saying anything close to that. Many of us who want the option for a solid axle simply get tired of the parade of people telling us to give up and just accept an IFS because it's too much to expect.
Sponsored

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Many of us who want the option for a solid axle simply get tired of the parade of people telling us to give up...
I hope you get an SFA. Market says otherwise.

Pretty much the only SUV in the US left with SFA is the Wrangler. The market has spoken.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377906/best-off-road-vehicles-suv-2020/?slide=11

"The G-class lost its solid front axle in its redesign, but it offers a respectable 9.5 inches of ground clearance and can wade through 27.6 inches of water."

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No one, literally no one is saying anything close to that. Many of us who want the option for a solid axle simply get tired of the parade of people telling us to give up and just accept an IFS because it's too much to expect.
That and the folks telling us that an IFS can be made just as capable and strong as a SFA.

No, it cannot. Not for anywhere near comparable dollars. Simply put, for what I use my trucks for, SFA all the way. the name of the game for what I do is tire size. And IFS simply cannot handle tires over 35" on a 5k+lb truck. Heavy Duty IFS like on the Chevies can't even hold the tire size I run on my F-250 with stock axles. I have every intention of the Bronco having 37" tires, because that is the minimum for ground clearance to keep from dragging the rear pumpkin. And no 1/2-ton IFS can handle 37" tires without constantly breaking shit, even with upgraded axles and joints.

As far as flex and articulation, they are bringing up KOH buggies and Side by Sides. WTH. Those things are in no way comparable to a production level truck! Yeah, why do you need that big V8 in your mustang? F1 cars do just fine with motors smaller than a bottle of coke. It is physically impossible for an (center mounted, mostly traditional) IFS to match the articulation of a solid front axle with a link suspension, which is more than street-able and modifiable on a production level rig.

And I don't want another desert runner rig, Ford has enough of those, and those are fairly easy to build out of a standard production IFS 2x4 or 4x4.

Granted, depending on dimensions, if there is no SFA option for the Bronco, I may look at swapping in a Troller front axle since they should be on the same frame.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

"And then there’s the other group.

The group that destroy a mfg’s ability to build a purpose built vehicle."

you mean the other 90% who want an IFS and comfort and the ability to get thru snow, sand while carrying our surf fishing gear, our running gear and equipment.....and friends .....HOW DARE WE :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:wink:
Kind of, keeping it in the Ford family, the Explorer is a tire change away from being able to tackle everything you need. It also has a panoramic and fixed roof to mount different cargo racks and an open air experience.
The BabyBronco will also conquer those needs but it seems ego gets in the way of admitting a vehicle with Baby in the name fits the bill.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't forget that the "other group" PAYS for the ability of any manufacturer to build something more purpose built.
You can go buy an ICON Bronco anytime and get exactly what you want.

But, it you want one at a reasonable price, then compromises will be made to insure the "other group" finances the fact that you can even get close to an ICON rig at quarter the price.

STARTING PRICES:
2020-01-13_8-19-46.jpg

Have at it.
or, suck it up that some Bronco's will be mall crawlers and will require AC and an Automatic.
I kind of get what you are saying but my comment while knowing it would trigger folks is at the people that want to diminish a purpose built vehicle for better on road characteristics.
To reiterate my wish, F150 Raptor Bronco. Yes that means current F150 Raptor suspension specs. We aren’t getting that. No one has been able to offer up an alternative IFS solution that can achieve similar travel numbers without being as wide as a current F150 Raptor. So with that said I do not agree that the Bronco should be less capable than the Wrangler when they are going to go head to head and why would you buy an inferior product?

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Remember everyone, the Bronco is an OFF-ROAD vehicle!!!!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It also has a panoramic and fixed roof to mount different cargo racks and an open air experience.
You're fooling yourself if you think a sunroof will give the same experience as a fully removable roof and doors

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I kind of get what you are saying but my comment while knowing it would trigger folks is at the people that want to diminish a purpose built vehicle for better on road characteristics.
To reiterate my wish, F150 Raptor Bronco. Yes that means current F150 Raptor suspension specs. We aren’t getting that. No one has been able to offer up an alternative IFS solution that can achieve similar travel numbers without being as wide as a current F150 Raptor. So with that said I do not agree that the Bronco should be less capable than the Wrangler when they are going to go head to head and why would you buy an inferior product?
Out of curiosity, does anyone know that the difference in frame width between the F150 and the T6 is? In theory if you mounted F150 Raptor suspension to a T6 frame it would be at least that much narrower.

I'm assuming the overseas Ranger Raptor suspension won't do it for you? That's what I'm personally hoping for. I can't find numbers for travel and such for the RR though to compare it to the F150. It does result in a rig that's 10+ inches narrower than the F150.

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Kind of, keeping it in the Ford family, the Explorer is a tire change away from being able to tackle everything you need. It also has a panoramic and fixed roof to mount different cargo racks and an open air experience.
The BabyBronco will also conquer those needs but it seems ego gets in the way of admitting a vehicle with Baby in the name fits the bill.
actually no it won't..... in deep sand it'll just sit on top of the sand, seen it many times. Undercarriage isn't meant for deep snow or sand. Clearance to a point then ruh roh :curse:

Hautian

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
actually no it won't..... in deep sand it'll just sit on top of the sand, seen it many times. Undercarriage isn't meant for deep snow or sand. Clearance to a point then ruh roh :curse:
Do you mean lack of ground clearance when you say the undercarriage isn't meant for deep snow or sand? How do you figure that an IFS Bronco would do much different than an IFS Explorer in those situations?

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you mean lack of ground clearance when you say the undercarriage isn't meant for deep snow or sand? How do you figure that an IFS Bronco would do much different than an IFS Explorer in those situations?
I know this may seem like a long shot... but my guess would be an increase in ride height

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Out of curiosity, does anyone know that the difference in frame width between the F150 and the T6 is? In theory if you mounted F150 Raptor suspension to a T6 frame it would be at least that much narrower.

I'm assuming the overseas Ranger Raptor suspension won't do it for you? That's what I'm personally hoping for. I can't find numbers for travel and such for the RR though to compare it to the F150. It does result in a rig that's 10+ inches narrower than the F150.
No, the Ranger Raptor has around 10” of front wheel travel same as my Titan with its current set up. The F150 Raptor has between 14 and 15” of front wheel travel....that’s a huge difference and one that would come with an expensive modification and fabrication to achieve on a Ranger

Hautian

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know this may seem like a long shot... but my guess would be an increase in ride height
Ground Clearance:
Explorer - 7.9"
Ranger - 8.9"
F-150 Raptor - 11.5"
JL Wrangler Sport - 9.7"
JL Wrangler Rubicon - 10.8"

If the JL Rubicon came with 35" tires (which would fit stock) it would probably be around 11.8" of ground clearance beating the Raptor.

With a 3.5" lift on a Ranger, Icon says you can fit a 33" tire which would give a Ranger about 10" of clearance.

I don't think the Bronco will be much of an Icon if it is only sold with IFS. It might be a good vehicle and sell in the numbers that Ford wants with IFS it just won't be what I am looking for.

Will you be satisfied with a one inch increase in ground clearance (ride height) over an Explorer?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I feel again in the minority group but I hope the 4 door is larger than the JL.
1 of the biggest gripes I hear and share with the JL is the lack of interior space and all these renders make it appear the Bronco will have less cargo capacity than the JL which doesn’t seem like a good strategy.
The Jeep is saddled with a problem that the Bronco won't be: to keep aligned with heritage the jeep must have protruding fenders. This makes the interior volume small compared to the overall width. I have owned 3 Bronco II's with a 94" wheelbase and a '05 LJ (unlimited) Wrangler 103" wheelbase, more or less same overall width, the BII's had much more useable interior space compared to the LJ.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

...and about 10% of buyers do that.
Whole parking garage of wranglers here at work and the Subarus parked next to them have more mud on them.

I do agree sir, those highway queens are all around my area. And, that's fine if that's what one wants. I bought the "Mall Crawler" edition, but it hit the dusty trail a week after I brought it home. I'm no expert by no means, and probably never will be. But, the easy trails in the Uwharrie are a lot of fun for a novice like me. :like:
Sponsored

Last edited: