Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I have a 22 Wildsquatch that i'm leaning towards putting 37s on. Going with a 2.5" lift.
My question is regarding the tailgate/spare. Does any modifications need to be done (other that extending the brake light) in order to fit a 37" with stock Sasquatch wheels?

Going with Toyo Open Country MT.
Looks like it would be really tight.

Mike
Sponsored

SIXMIL

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes C350 coupe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A tailgate reinforcement bracket is a MUST!!

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, you'll want a spare tire reinforcement bracket to handle the weight. Otherwise you're risking bending your tailgate. There are a bunch of brands out there now. They all basically work the same but some have more functionality than others. I went with the hammerbilt reinforcement with accessory arm and mounted a chase light, CB antenna, and rotopax mount. I have -12mm offset wheels which push the 37" far enough away that the 3rd brake light extension was not needed at all.

here’s a video of my reinforcement bracket

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have no idea about a tailgate bending, very improbable but could cause strain on the hinge pins while opening. I ran a 37" and a 20x10 rim spare on my BB for about 5 months. The only thing I did during that time was buy the Rough Country spare tire relocation kit which include the spare tire relocation base plate and brake light extension. But after that time I went ahead and purchased the reinforcement plate to complete the kit. I did this only because I got tired of the reverberation from hitting bumps at speed. I had no tailgate damage. The reinforcement plate helps spread the weight of the 37" spare throughout the area from door hinges to base plate instead of on the center of the door. Now I have zero reverberation after the install of the reinforcement plate.

Ford Bronco 37" Tires Question... tailgate / spare? IMG_20230202_135630

Last edited:

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As others have said, get the reinforcement. That's all I went with as the sasquatch brake light is already tall enough for my 37s. Well, that is after 'stretching' it over the back edge of the tire. With the stock wheels, I still get good contact on the little rubber pieces that sit below spare tire mount too.

Edit: A brake light extension will require a wheel spacer with stock wheel back spacing and push the tire further off the tailgate.

Also, the tire may slightly rub the rear bumper. That was the case for me before the reinforcement was installed, but it didn't affect the opening and closing of the tailgate.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikey1287

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anybody running a 37" spare with factory hardware?

As far the reinforcement bracket. Toyo MT 37s only look to be around 6lbs heavier than the factory squatch 35" goodyears. Does the extra 6lbs really warrant a reinforcement?

Appreciate the responses.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody running a 37" spare with factory hardware?

As far the reinforcement bracket. Toyo MT 37s only look to be around 6lbs heavier than the factory squatch 35" goodyears. Does the extra 6lbs really warrant a reinforcement?

Appreciate the responses.
I find that harder to believe. I know my wheel is 5lbs less than the SAS wheel and my 37 a Falken wildpeak MT37x12.50x17 with aftermarket wheel totals about 120lbs. Factory SAS wheel and Goodyear is 80lbs

OP
OP
Mikey1287

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah i had my info wrong. Sorry.
But still the tailgate is rated for 133 max weight...

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco tail gate appears to be heavier duty than the wrangler however, once you hit 37s and plan on keeping the vehicle a long time it will pay to either reinforce or get a tire carrier mounted to a bumper. Placing the 120lbs, or more, on the frame versus the sheet metal is better for longevity. To be clear it is not the off-road use that is the concern, it is highway travel.

Sponsored

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 37s Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T D rated which weigh 80lbs each with 17" x 8.5 Black Rhino Rumble wheels weighing 22lbs each for a total of 102lbs per wheel, all factory hardware otherwise, they fit fine with the third brake light and bumper (sasquatch), and I've been running this setup for 14k miles with plenty of off road. I also have the Ford performance tailgate table and often mount a set of recovery boards ratchet strapped to the spare tire. I would say zero need for a reinforcement bracket unless your running a heavy wheel/tire setup. Don't try hanging of the tailgate of course but zero issues on my rig.

I would highly recommend swapping to a lighter set of aftermarket wheels if you're going to 37s and don't want to notice the performance drop (acceleration, braking, suspension). The factory wheels are heavy! Unless you're only going to go slow over rocks there are way better wheels out there. I'm seriously considering swapping to C rated KO2 37s next time around because they only weigh near 60lbs a tire which would bring back to factory weight specs with my current wheels. But these MT Baja Bosses have been so good in all conditions, and I tow a heavier trailer (for a Bronco) so I'm still not sure which way I'll go. Again, unless you need more accessories mounted on the rear and are rocking heavy wheel tire combos, no need for reinforcement brackets.

I think there are a lot of people out there who are very good at marketing and taking money from people for accessories :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Freedom5

Badlands
First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Classic mini cooper
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My setup is 16lbs heavier than stock sasquatch wheels and tires. I'm running methods 17-9/-12 & 37x12.50R17LT patagonia AT/R. I run a rough country brace just for peice of mind.

Ford Bronco 37" Tires Question... tailgate / spare? 20220904_153802

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hammerbuilt has a nice Piece, and Tyson is awesome to deal with. I have his reinforcement on mine with stock rims. I run the tail light extension, but dont think you need it. Tailgate is Aluminum, and the reinforcement does make it stiffer, regardless of what others may say.

I tested mine in sand hollow, and I know the tire hit coming down off of a few obstacles and it didnt phase it.

99FRC

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have Methods and 37/12.5/17 BFGKO2 which weighs 93 pounds total. 5 pounds more per corner than my stock Sas wheel/tire. The bfg is a slightly smaller 37inch tire, but there is still a little space b/w the tire and the brake light, so extension may not be needed. I do not notice any spare movement more than stock, but again im only 5 pounds heavier than stock. I have the Hammerbuilt reinforcement but am undecided whether to use it yet or not. If I had a significantly heavier setup then I probably would.
Sponsored