Sponsored

Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME!

kbeck

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I installed the factory table. Overall satisfied, fits good and no rattles. My only complaint is the provided nut-serts and tool suck. I ended up getting some good ones with a proper setting tool.
Same here, those stupid nut inserts didn't work. Had to pay a visit to Harbor Freight Tools to get a rivet nut setter for $50 that I'll never use again. Already had holes drilled; so, I was committed.

It's just poor design. When other options don't require that, the official Ford one shouldn't either.
Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The early version did not ship with the drill stop which is why dealers and noobs were poking through to the outer skin. The table now comes with the bit and drill stop, so it’s impossible to poke through unless your an Uber noob. It’s easy.

I just don't get this. Now granted it's a Ford dealer and not a Ducati, so I don't expect them to have a lathe and mill in the back, but how do they not have drill stops?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just don't get this. Now granted it's a Ford dealer and not a Ducati, so I don't expect them to have a lathe and mill in the back, but how do they not have drill stops?
I wouldnt doubt if they do. The question is, does the kid who is washing vehicles and installing Bronco accessories know what a drill stop is and how to use it? Putting one in the box and in the instructions certainly stopped all the "the screws are too long on the ford tailgate table and it poked through my tailgate" posts we used to see around here. It was pretty universal that the dealer/kid would blame the screws. 😂

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just installed mine 2 days ago. Agree, it's a bit eye awakening to drill holes but take your time, use the drill stop and make a punch dimple in the middle of your marking of where to drill so that your drill bit that they provide does not "walk" as you start to drill.

You'll be fine

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Ford table comes with the drill bit and stop collar for the bit to prevent you from drilling too far. It's really pretty easy and idiot proof. The tailgate is aluminum so the drilling is really easy. My only gripe was one of the cheap rivnuts cross-threaded on me and spun. Otherwise it works out pretty well and doesn't rattle.

Sponsored

BD6G

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

This thread made me go look at the table that was installed (dealer on their own not my request) prior to me purchasing my Bronco. Let’s just say it’s horrible behind the table and I’m definitely going back to the dealership to address it. I will edit with pictures here in a few.

edited to add pictures

882E47E4-64DD-4249-A593-8C17ABE1EDA3.jpeg

7655410F-FAE9-421B-A98C-A007AEB16134.jpeg

BD6G

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

If you can pay $400ish, get the Trailgater. Looks way better and it’s a no drill option. Here’s mine.

Ford Bronco Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME! A68018B7-0D69-4659-B701-41AD4F9BCFD2

Ford Bronco Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME! A68018B7-0D69-4659-B701-41AD4F9BCFD2
I may have to look into this especially because I’m behind the power curve on probably getting this situated at the dealer. The trailgater looks like it may cover the measure once drill twice fiasco I have here.

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another method is to use a self-drilling 1/2" sheet metal screw (tek screw) to drill the holes. That way the head of the screw stops you from going too deep. Ensure they're the appropriate gauge (not too girthy), or you might not have enough material to bite with the table's hardware.

ps: use a short driver and an impact drill, it keeps the screw more stable and less likely to jump off. And don't over-torque the screw or it'll strip.

Last edited:

MikeinTN

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I mentioned the weak latches on here and Mabett seen it and contacted me and sent me much stronger latches and I'm very happy with it now....
Yeah, when I shut the gate it’ll pop open sometimes. I think the latch doesn’t have enough pre load to keep it patched.
It’s sturdy as heck and I like the design overall. So easy to install, may 20 minutes!?
Maybe @Mabett can fix the issue for me also.

D63434D8-1829-442D-BC80-5D5224E210B7.jpeg

10B30320-BE88-41CC-92EC-B089B1C8636A.jpeg

Sponsored

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just did this exact install yesterday. Its not a slam dunk. If you're apprehensive, hire it out.
You need a "step" drill bit. As long as you stop on the right step, which is easy, theres no way it will go through the outer layer of the door.
The jack nuts are a little tricky. They provide a little tool but I didn't find much use for it. Found it best to take everything I had just assembled apart and get the jack nuts set. Then re-assemble everything.
Its a 2 to 3 hr job for first timer.

rpaluch1

Outer Banks
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I opened the Tailgate table box (the official Ford one that retails for $219). I looked at the instructions and probably watched about a hour of install videos. I am too scared to drill four 7/16" holes in my Bronco. I asked my dealer service department. They said it was a "pain in the neck" and they charge 2 hours of labor for it. Also they told me that they drilled all the way through once TO THE OUTSIDE and had to replace an entire tailgate. I have decided to not do it. I got it a while ago, so I cannot return. Anyone braver than me want one for $100 plus I will ship it to you if you want (you pay shipping)? And if you did install, how did it go for you?
Like you I couldn’t and didn’t trust myself to drill the tailgate. I had my Ford dealer do it. If you look up the table on Ford Part and Service site it states a dealer install cost. If I remember right $ 60. I pointed that out to my dealer they looked it up and honored it. So with that being said the table works great but it rattles so bad that I have a piece of packing foam stuffed between it when closed to keep it quiet. Good luck either way you go.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did you install? Pics?
Flag mount. Bumper quick release with these helper tabs.

A7EFC48B-F056-446A-BD43-8D9E85450FD1.jpeg

120v port in for battery maintainer and a power strip in the back of the truck. For storage and camping.

8C73DAD0-57E2-4069-842E-E141F93D3B6A.jpeg

Aero hood latches.

27C4D3A0-4EB1-4F86-93D6-9010D815FC99.jpeg
4F10D793-E972-4BDF-AC6F-3388DDA567B9.jpeg

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dude...
The shop told you that so you pay them - scare tactic. And Tricky Dick is dead on - Drill stop - problem solved.
You absolutely can do this. There are WAY stupider people out there drilling holes/re-gearing/etc... and i dont even know you :LOL:
The feeling of taking your time, mounting that sucker, and knowing YOU did it - you did something you thought was just beyond your scope - is second to none.
I was the exact same way years ago with my jeep - many of us were - but have confidence and take your time.
I am one of those way stupider and less handy people. If I can install one, then my cat can. Get the drill stop and all is good.
Sponsored