Sponsored

Automatic On Demand 4x4...is it worth 10 Benjamins?

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My old 05 F150 FX4 just had 2H, 4H, & 4L.
My wife's Expedition has the 4A option, but we have never really used it. I tell her to use it when it snows, but I doubt she does.
Subject line says it all...is it worth 1K?
Sponsored

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think that is really up to the driver. Personally I like part time 4 wheel drive, I feel that I am more in control. But the all time awd could be a peace of mind for those that just want it to kick in when you need it.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think that is really up to the driver. Personally I like part time 4 wheel drive, I feel that I am more in control. But the all time awd could be a peace of mind for those that just want it to kick in when you need it.
You shouldn't use part time 4x4 on pavement. 4A is only for pavement. There's no overlap, it's a different feature.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You shouldn't use part time 4x4 on pavement. 4A is only for pavement. There's no overlap, it's a different feature.
While I very much agree that with basic part time t-cases you don't use it on pavement, technically, on the trucks equipped with 4A, the 4A and 4H are the same feature with different control strategies. At least typically.

Basically, instead of a solenoid shifting a fork and engaging a rigid front to rear lock in the transfer case (as in part time system), the 4A case uses an electromagnetic clutch to engage the front prop shaft. So, in 4A mode, there are multiple control maps that dictate when 4WD is commanded, for how long, etc. It will slip in and out of engagement as required, allowing it to vary how much torque actually goes to the front. The driver will probably never know the difference. That's what makes it tolerable on pavement.

When you switch to 4H, you're commanding an override of the control strategy and directly telling it to give you max clutch engagement. The design could potentially also add a secondary dog clutch, so that in 4H mode, you then achieve a direct, rigid, coupling from front to rear. Then you don't rely on the electromagnetic clutch to hold you in 4H. That would make some sense, because long usage could burn out the e-mag clutch, or at least make it very hot. But as far as I've seen, there isn't any information yet to say if Bronco's t-case does this. That would add cost and complexity, if nothing else.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've only had part time 4 wheel drive, but my son's 4Runner had a similar system to 4A. I'd say it is a nice safety feature for the road is just a little slick so you keep the shiny side up. For my trucks, I'd even shift into 4H when driving in tropical downpours with worn tires. It just adds a little bit more tightness to the driving with less squirming. So I'd say it is a nice option to have if you have the budget. If money is tight, part time 4wd works too.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To the original point, if all else were equal, there's a degree of simplicity of the basic part-time case that would be advantageous. Though I am disappointed that case doesn't have a manual shifter, I understand why.

Like centra28 said, it really comes down to the driver in question and what they expect of the vehicle. Silly anecdote: years ago, my mother had a '91 Explorer Sport (the 2-door model). It was the first 4x4 my parents owned with push-button 4WD. One winter, my mom spun out on straight, level road somehow and wound up clipping a tree. My dad asked her: "since it was slippery, why didn't you use 4WD?" The answer: "I didn't want to use it all up". This speaks volumes to the sort of customer that the 4A system is worth every penny to. Factor in that the case also has better low range reduction, and it becomes more worthwhile. Also, they eventually traded the '91 on a '98 2-door Explorer. This one had a 4A mode, and they lived happily ever after...

OTOH, my '13 F150 only offered basic part-time 4WD. I drove most of last winter's rally season in 2WD, only falling back on using 4WD on particularly bad, snowy hills. Good snow tires make up the difference...

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s not as if the two are being offered strictly exclusively of each other. I’ll happily be using 4A during slick/potentially slick on road conditions, and 4H/4lo when off pavement.
Yep, if you live in winter country, that 4A is most helpful. Black ice is real.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, if you live in winter country, that 4A is most helpful. Black ice is real.
Yeah, but some seem to think the 4A gives them the ability to drive 80mph on that black ice. It is nice to have, but still requires sensible driving .

If I still lived up north, I think it would be worth it.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have always had older 4X4's with just the basic T-Box and a manual shifter, never had AWD so this will be a new experience. Even had to stop to shift into 4X4 and lock the front hubs (yes I am THAT old). But I have driven up to 10X10's on the fire line so I don't expect any problems.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, but some seem to think the 4A gives them the ability to drive 80mph on that black ice. It is nice to have, but still requires sensible driving .
True. But this is true no matter what. That's why winter driving also requires sensible tires.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
True. I think most people don’t know about this. I’ve never noticed it being brought up until now.
I know about it. The lower lorange is the only reason I want it. Course it's std on badlands and thats the trim I want anyhoo!

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why are "you people" making me think about these "new fangled" "gursh darned" gadgets like 4A when 4H was the thing in my old truck days? :LOL:
Sponsored