Sponsored

Swing out tail gate and oversized Cargo...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know my title needs work, but I was at iKea today and while watching people load up their stuff, it dawned on me....

In a hatchback, (or a trunk for that matter) if something is a bit to long, you just strap it in, and then lower the hatch as far down as you can and bungie it down so it doesn't bounce.

I've never owned something with a swing out tail gate... how do you transport something longer ... do you drive with the tail gate swung out and the spare like sticking out from the driver side?
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know my title needs work, but I was at iKea today and while watching people load up their stuff, it dawned on me....

In a hatchback, (or a trunk for that matter) if something is a bit to long, you just strap it in, and then lower the hatch as far down as you can and bungie it down so it doesn't bounce.

I've never owned something with a swing out tail gate... how do you transport something longer ... do you drive with the tail gate swung out and the spare like sticking out from the driver side?
Just keep the hatch open. You gotta close the swing gate.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Take the roof off and you can put a fridge in the back. ? There’s always a way.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But say lumber or a sheet of plywood... some long box... etc. Can't tell you the number of times it just almost fit and it had to stick out the back just a bit.

Sponsored

tigereye

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cincinnati (2020) -> Hilton Head, SC (2021)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Pilot, 2017 CRV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Serious question, is the slide out tailgate only intended to be used when parked? I guess I had assumed that part of its job was to give a bigger surface for carrying oversized items.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Serious question, is the slide out tailgate only intended to be used when parked? I guess I had assumed that part of its job was to give a bigger surface for carrying oversized items.
Burgers, dogs, sammiches, tofu, soy, pineapple pizza, adult beverages.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Honestly I just some times have to stick it between my legs.. it rubs hard after awhile but been living with it all my life.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ditto on the tailgate slide out. Was thinking the exact same thing. Found an image to illustrate. Don't know why but this is concerning me a bit. So what would happen if we left the tailgate open (but tied so it is not swinging freely?

Ford Bronco Swing out tail gate and oversized Cargo... stra

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Open the rear glass and object can poke out through there
Ah ok.. i guess as long as it is not too thick it would fit. I've seen pickups that do that with their tailgates but then again they don't have spare tires hanging on them.

I wonder how much length the 4 door has if you lay the back seat down (it's split yes?)

My issue is my kid is still in a car seat.. so when he's in the back, I can't lay the seats down... but if the back is like a 60/40 I can put him on one side and drop the other side down... just don't know if I could fit something 8' long without having to leave something opened in the back...

But the idea of leaving the rear window open instead of the heavy ass rear door is a much safer thought.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a video with a Ford rep who said the swing gate would lock at 90° and could swing beyond that with some button release or something. So I think you could leave it open in some way without having to worry about it going into the next lane

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly for me depending on how long it is, I’d just strap it to the roof or since the the back glass opens independently just have it hang out that way

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FRIENDS!!!

If they EVER want another Awesome ride in your Bronco, use leverage.
Sponsored

Last edited: