Sponsored

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Like most people I wanted to upgrade the sound, and like most used the Kicker key 200.4. I put mine under the steering wheel and changed out all 6 speakers on my 2022 OBX SAS, non B&O system. I wanted some base and decided on the tailgate sub. KIcker/Stinger off-road makes everything very easy. Watched some Youtube videos and started to install. Almost paid to haver it done but wanted to try and do myself. Here is what I used and how I installed it.

Most of it is self explanatory, and the pics explain the rest. I linked the videos I used to install. I wanted the amp under the seat for easy access, and air flow. Sure, it could get wet. I don't normally make it a habit of driving in the rain though. Light rain even with doors off and it should be fine. Since July only one person has ever ridden in the back behind me, our 19yo when visiting him at college and went to dinner. I feel pretty confident it will be fine. Annoyingly the amp bracket does not have the correct holes for the 700w, so only used two screws to hold the amp to the bracket. The seat is very close, but does not touch it. All the scrape marks are from me trying to get the seat back on and the adjustment bars not being lined up. The only one with no instructions is the Kicker line in. It is all color-coordinated. Black goes to ground, which I ran thru the firewall and attached to the ground by the windshield, commonly used to ground most lights. The blue is the remote turn-on, which goes into the amp signaling the amp to turn on when power it on. Then 4 wires that go to speakers, 2 left and 2 right. The two RCA plugs to to the amp. Used velcro tape and put it under the dash on drivers side. Easy access and didn't know if it would get hot being behind a panel some where.

The huge red cable is power that runs from the battery, to to the line in fuse with the supplied mounting bracket, to the amp for power. The large black cable goes from the amp to a ground on the vehicle. Huge props for to Stinger, the supplied ground cable was not long enough. If you watch the link below on how to install the wiring kit, they mount the ground to the seatbelt bolt. On the 4 door this bold is not painted, nor is the metal behind it. If you look at my picture they are both painted, not good for grounding. The 2 door also has a longer door, so the B pillar is more to the rear. The supplied cable was literally about 2" too short. Emailed them and supplied pics from my vehicle and the install video that they have on Youtube and they agreed the cable was too short and mailed me out a cable to my desired length at no charge.

I followed the tailgate sub install video with is also linked below. Pretty easy, ran the wires behind the right panel, under the carpet of the rear seats and to the drivers seat. The sub came damaged from Amazon as can be seen in the pic. Then they were sold out, didn't feel like waiting so I went ahead with the install. I may changed it out later anyway. Didn't think it would affect the performance, and had everything I needed to install.

Couldn't find a good spot for the bass volume, ended up under the drivers seat. Nothing under the dash was good to screw it into, didn't want to drill a hole next to light switch that I have seen others do. Took a bit of time to get the bass volume where I wanted. Since it is tied into the left kick panel speaker the bass volume comes from it. So putting balance more to the rear lessons the bass volume, the supplied bass volume knob adjusts the bass, and so does the bass setting in Sync 4. So with all the different variables it took a bit to dial it in just right but I am happy where it is at.

Did the forscan settings that may or may not help the back. It is much better than stock with the kicker key and kicker 6.5's, still not as loud as the front. I thought about tying them into the kick panel speares too, but that would lose the fade. We have a 6yo who rides in a car seat on in the back passenger side, so I am a bit hesitant on them being too loud. Its almost good they are lower, but with top off and by myself or with the wife I would like to crank it up a bit more in the back. Its not terrible, with the fade a bit behind my head position in settings, they just arent as loud. Might try to get dealer to flash it for me, not a lot of confidence with them at the moment. Since the reason I have the Bronco is because they dropped my Mach-E GT off of a rack when working on it and totalling it. Then trying to charge me over $600 to install the Procal tune.

One big downside that I did not think of with the tailgate sub, is it does NOT work with the Ford security cage enclosure. The sub hits the top. Still trying to figure out how to make it work. Cant move the sub down, the indent of the tailgate wont allow it, and there is a gap in the metal where the bolt would need to be about 2" lower. Dont want to cut off part to the top to allow the sub to work, would degrade the stiffness of it, and have to more the screw hole back a lot on the right side. There is a metal rack that mounts on the bolts that holds the top on, may look into that. I want the cage in because when going to baseball games, gym, etc and then running around after my wife has her purse, kids have iPad, etc. I don't want to leave anything expensive insecure. So if you have a cage be mindful it wont work. I chased a phantom rattle for a bit. Turns out is was in on the right side of the sub under the other plastic panel. Where the handle is. There was a small gap in two spots, I have attached a pic with arrows. When the bass hit the white plastic moved back and forth hitting the black part. I Took some electrical tape, folded it over and wrapped it up between the gap. It's fixed for now, may look into a better solution down the road if it starts again.

Like many on here with questions I read from people who knew what they were doing, and watched a lot of Youtube videos. Posting this to perhaps help someone on the fence on doing it themselves or with some help. My first sound system install and pretty happy with it. I had a custom sub enclosure and amp installed on my '68 Mustang over a decade ago because I didn't feel confident doing it. I'd give it a shot now when upgrade time is due. I am by no means an expert but if anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Damn, Grammarly says I have about a 100 errors

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 51vDR0g5asL._SL1500_

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 61o6n+E0P9L._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 71Dt1+VS+OL._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 81kCSNic3EL._AC_SL1500_

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230119_115655

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230119_120531

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230212_133025 (1)

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_125800

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_125643

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_141120

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_141142

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_141153

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_141200

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_141208

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_143501

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_145435

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_150045

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_150117

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_160117

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_160122

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230301_160155

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers s-l1600

Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230302_141911
Sponsored

Last edited:

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m looking to do the same thing when my bronco comes in a few months. How do you like the sub? I ordered the key amp but was thinking about waiting for the JL box when it comes out. I think it’s only an 8” so maybe not as good as the tailgate one.

TopGunCJ

Black Diamond
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 4-Door, 2020 Benz-cedes GLS450
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Congratulations!

I’m getting ready to install a similar system in my Bronco. Replacing speakers with Kicker KSC series and installing a Musway Four100 to power them. It’s a stronger amp for the cabin speakers for $115 more than the Kicker Key. The Stinger 12” will be powered by a Phoenix Gold 500W amp. I’m told it gives plenty of bass.

Full disclosure, the system was designed by Joe at PlugNPlay. I’m hoping it’s full and not just a system with loud highs and deep lows which diminishes the fullness. But, I have faith in what Joe put together.

Fallguy, are you happy with the sound?

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did a very similar sound system upgrade. Changed out the 4" speakers front and back with kicker DS series, and put 6.5" JBL GTO's in the kick panels. It needed bass badly so I paid a shop to install the Stinger tailgate sub and a JL 500 watt amp. They put the amp in the cubby space under the trunk mat and assured me that airflow was a non-issue with the new technology amps. The system sounds amazing and I have not had any issues with the amp placement. My bronco went from being the worst stock sound system I've ever heard to the best system I've had in any vehicle. I highly recommend the Stinger tailgate sub and the speaker setup I went with.

iamcris

Badlands
First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if Best Buy total tech can do a similar installation for me for free because of the membership? I'll ask and post the answer.

Sponsored

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We have this sub in our obx 4dr and it's awesome. Well worth the purchase.

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wonder if Best Buy total tech can do a similar installation for me for free because of the membership? I'll ask and post the answer.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/tip-upgrade-stereo-for-free-at-best-buy.55920/

I did Total Tech. They were awesome. I provided my own downfiring sub etc. They don't customize box but if you bring it in they will install for free. It's awesome.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/broncy-mcbroncface-build.49379/

Some older pics of it. I'm actually going back b/c they are going to install Mabett 6.5 inch speakers pods with alpine 6.5s in the rears for me. They installed the Alpine 6.5 marine pods for me as well for free. You buy the hardware and it gets installed under Total Tech.

mattsmeesh

Heritage
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Super helpful write-up. Nice to know about the cage and the sub fit issues.

G-Waggin

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac SRX
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's the cost on that part list?

Coolbeans05

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg tdi ,Touareg v8
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Also installed the stinger with a audio control 1.300 amp
Had a few vibrating parts to chase down.
Ended up putting sound deadener between the box and the tailgate too as well as inside the tailgate

Very pleased with the set up.

Sponsored

iamcris

Badlands
First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At first I wondered if the cost of the membership would be worth it but after getting my XboX 1 and then fridge, oven, microwave all installed and old hauled away....for free...because I'm a total tech member it was a great decision to join total tech at Best Buy.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m looking to do the same thing when my bronco comes in a few months. How do you like the sub? I ordered the key amp but was thinking about waiting for the JL box when it comes out. I think it’s only an 8” so maybe not as good as the tailgate one.
I do like the sub, but the sub itself has a rattle/shake that I can reduce by physically pushing on the sub screen. I have taken the sub out, made sure the bolts were tightened down, and all screws on the sub were tight. Looked for all other rattles or noises, but its actually coming from the sub. Only when turned up pretty loud with bass up, so really not a big deal as I am not trying to shake windows. 8" is probably enough for most people, I just wanted more.

Congratulations!

I’m getting ready to install a similar system in my Bronco. Replacing speakers with Kicker KSC series and installing a Musway Four100 to power them. It’s a stronger amp for the cabin speakers for $115 more than the Kicker Key. The Stinger 12” will be powered by a Phoenix Gold 500W amp. I’m told it gives plenty of bass.

Full disclosure, the system was designed by Joe at PlugNPlay. I’m hoping it’s full and not just a system with loud highs and deep lows which diminishes the fullness. But, I have faith in what Joe put together.

Fallguy, are you happy with the sound?
I saw that Phoenix Gold amp too. Went with the Stinger to make sure it screwed onto the mounting bracket, and then it didn't even do that all the way, only two screws matched up. I was going to order from PlugNPlay, but they were out of stock on the tailgate sub. I got their harness for the Kicker Key 200.4 amp and worked great. Only place I could find the sub in stock was on Amazon when I was ordering.

I am VERY happy with the sound. Finally feel like I have it dialed it, and so much better than stock. Excited to hear it with top off this summer. Last year when I got it stock it was as I am sure you know, terrible. Couldnt hardly hear with top off, distorted if turned up too loud. Zero bass. Very, very happy with it.

Super helpful write-up. Nice to know about the cage and the sub fit issues.
Really the only person that will see the top of the sub enclosure if I decide to trim it down, is me. As long as I seal it back up it shouldn't be an issue. Just would like to keep it looking as good as it does now. I cant remember where I saw that rear shelf for the Bronco, but I saw a metal one about 6 months ago and looked like it may work. Installed with the bolts that hold down the top, so you could get into it but have to bring some tools. If the gap isn't too big from the shelf and tailfate. Here is a pic of my wife's Land Rover Defender with a similar shelf.

What's the cost on that part list?
Stereo in-line was $18.
Amp was $160
Wiring kit was $160
Sub was $489
Bracket was $89

All bought on Amazon except for the bracket which was bought on stinger website; https://stingerelectronics.com/products/txfbb12

Also installed the stinger with a audio control 1.300 amp
Had a few vibrating parts to chase down.
Ended up putting sound deadener between the box and the tailgate too as well as inside the tailgate

Very pleased with the set up.
I debated that, and may go back and do the same. I have some Boom mat which is the same I think. Only noise I can tell now is just from the actual sub, and pressing on the sub cage reduces/stops it. It's like the sub itself makes the noise.
Ford Bronco Stinger tailgate sub installed, Stinger 700w amp install under driver seat with pics, 6.5 Mabett rear Kickers 20230302_174934

gringoloco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is yours a 2-door? Does the Stinger under seat bracket line up with the seat mounts? I ask because I’m interested in purchasing, but Stinger lists it as 4-door only.

For your enclosure clearance issue, maybe check out the Jeep version of the tailgate box. Same design, but not as tall as the Bronco box.

OP
OP
fallguy

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is yours a 2-door? Does the Stinger under seat bracket line up with the seat mounts? I ask because I’m interested in purchasing, but Stinger lists it as 4-door only.

For your enclosure clearance issue, maybe check out the Jeep version of the tailgate box. Same design, but not as tall as the Bronco box.
Mine is the two door, and fits perfectly. Make sure you get the side you want. They offer driver and passenger side. And if you get the wiring kit I did for it, the grounding wire will be too short. Since the 2 door has longer doors, pushing back the B pillar.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the same stringer sub, but used their phoenix gold 500.1 amp to power it, I've replaced all the other speakers (kicker and focal).. I am not super happy with the balance though... I've got the bass gain knob turned all the way down, but the bass is too 'boomy' compared to the rest of the system, which makes sense when you think about the fact that the rest of the system is made of of 5 4" speakers and two 6.5's, and then it goes to the 12" with nothing in between. I wish this box had an 8" or maybe 10" woofer in it, I think it would have provided a more balanced sound
Sponsored