Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Snapped a CV axle at 11,000 feet yesterday in my Tacoma. It was an epic day that highlighted my need to step up my mechanical knowledge. Some lessons sting a bit more than others. I figured it was inevitable, exploding an axle was only matter of time. Long story short I’m not sour about breaking an axle...I earned it.

So...based on this I have a question to those that may know Toyota & the Dana axles spec’ed in the Bronco.

Are the “M210 Dana AdvanTEK“ front axles up to the task when compared with Toyota CV axles?

Do we know anything about these axles for comparison sake? Is the M210 the same just new version of the Dana 44? Can our Jeep brethren weigh in? Or are these a new spec yet to prove its salt in the high country?

Educate me please. Cheers.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Allow me to educate you... unless you’re talking about the figure skating move, it’s spelt A-X-L-E.
ok thanks grammar police. Ive fixed my legendary spelling in the post above. That wasn’t the education I was asking for but let’s move forward.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wheeling in CO high country + 35’s + heavy truck. Long story but got stuck and bam. It happens, it was just my turn.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RCV would be sweet, but at 2K a set that’s a rough one. Yes, I’d like 37’s because the goal
is to build a more capable vehicle than my current Tacoma. But that’s a tall order. I’ll be ordering a new set of CVJ’s this week.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You beef up your axels then something else down the line will falter. Lay off the skinny pedal and don’t hop around. Sounds like you made it back so that’s a good thing for the weekend.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The yota axle is somewhere between a D44 and D60 strength wise and yes going chromoly -- forged, higher axle spline count, etc. is the way to go. As mentioned above when avoiding what happened to you I would imagine you bound it up crawling most likely with the wheel was turned to one extreme or another. Regardless working a straight axle or IFS set-up that is typically when things snap or when bouncing (hopping like Bison said) your rig trying to climb a challenging obstacle.

Also, stepping up to 37s runs a bit of a risk. The D44's are good for 35s, but I recommend beefing them up if you go 37s, unless you are staying off the rocks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You beef up your axels then something else down the line will falter. Lay off the skinny pedal and don’t hop around. Sounds like you made it back so that’s a good thing for the weekend.
yeah, the upgrade bug frequently has a catch 22. That’s one of the reasons for my inquiry above. If possible I’d like to minimize major changes to the Bronco if I can. Unlikely given my history, but my Tacoma is far from stock so this time around I want to start with a more capable vehicle right off the lot.

Jumping is a no. Hopping Is always a bad thing, excess throttle is also bad. Hop and throttle we’re regrettably both in effect when she snapped. Like I said, I earned it for sure.

OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The yota axle is somewhere between a D44 and D60 strength wise and yes going chromoly -- forged, higher axle spline count, etc. is the way to go. As mentioned above when avoiding what happened to you I would imagine you bound it up crawling most likely with the wheel was turned to one extreme or another. Regardless working a straight axle or IFS set-up that is typically when things snap or when bouncing (hopping like Bison said) your rig trying to climb a challenging obstacle.

Also, stepping up to 37s runs a bit of a risk. The D44's are good for 35s, but I recommend beefing them up if you go 37s, unless you are staying off the rocks.
Thanks for the feedback. Noted you believe Toyota is between 44s & 60s. 37’s are a “want to” but only if it’s backed with a bomber set up. Maybe the Bronco will prove worthy with minimal mods. I’m no rock crawler in Jeep terms but staying off the rocks is not going to happen. Colorado is mostly rock.
Sponsored