The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Pick a V8 engine. Anyone you want. Tell me how much it costs. Whats the Horsepower and torque numbers?

Then take the 2.7 twin turbo V6 tell me how much it costs? Whats the Horsepower and torque? Now take the extra money you saved with the Ecoboost and add the difference in mods to equal the price of the V8 engine. The Horsepower and Torque on the Ecoboost for the same exact money will blow the V8 away.

And last I checked the Ecoboost F150s for example and plenty of good resale value.

Sound is subjective. A lot of people love the sound of a tuned turbo engine.
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I didnt have my 3.5EB I wouldnt be as excited for the bronco engine options, but Im ecstatic that the wife will be getting the 2.7 in her bronco after seeing what my 3.5 can do out here at higher elevation.

Gbenzer

First Name
Burch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 G-500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All the reasons mentioned about towing capacities seem to be true but one thing not mentioned is the cooling capacity of the vehicle. There is added heat generated by towing which affects the transmission and the engine. Sometimes there just isn't room for more radiator.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Definitely not sarcastic. Just another useless government agency full of bureaucrat tree-huggers with no idea how to create or produce anything other than regulations and obstacles to private enterprise.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not talking about engines from companies like that. Im talking about real Factory engines from Motor Companies like Dodge, Chevy and Ford.

Also there already is Ecoboost engines turning well over the 150k+ mileage with no issues now that they've been out for 6+ years.

Here's a 300k example.

Also the V8 you picked has the power of the 2.3 Ecoboost and costs the same price. And the 2.3 with just a cheap 93 Octane tune makes more power. Thats the advantage of a factory turbo.

Ford Bronco No V8 from Ford any time soon but mainly because of emissions penalties Screenshot_20200913-182607_Samsung Internet

Last edited:

Sponsored

AddDemiGod

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah they had them back when you needed to have a V8 to have any torque, with just a quick google search it seems the last time a V8 was offered from factory in a jeep (wrangler) was 1981, it had a whopping 125hp and 220 ft-Lbs of torque, the new 2.3 kicks that 5.0 V8's ass. There's been a lot of improvements in the 40 years since then, you don't need a V8 to achieve the same thing now-a-days. Yes, the jeep straight 6's are fantastic motors, I still want to get a box body Cherokee with one at some point, but jeep doesn't offer that motor any more so that just makes that argument moot at this point and once again the 4 banger is more powerful than it.

Turbos are not the beast they once were any more, you can make a fantastically reliable turbo engine today, it takes more R&D than a N/A motor needs to be reliable (I think) but there are plenty of turbo engines that have great life expectancy, the ford 3.5 & 2.7 are a couple examples of that.

You're right there are no laws against it, there are plenty of twin turbo V8's from the European market, but those are reserved for the sports cars. Putting a supercharged or twin turbo V8 into a Bronco would just be a numbers war between companies and would serve no purpose for the consumer, as the limited test videos we can find show, that the 4 banger is enough to get it around.

But there's a whole different aspect to why I refuse to buy anything without turbos, I love to tinker and modify my cars, I can put on some pretty basic mods on to a turbo car and get some impressive numbers over stock. Yes, I could turbo charge or super charge a V8 but kits for that would be way more expensive and you would throw reliability out the window, yeah you can argue the same with turning up the boost on a turbo but the key difference is that a turbo engine came from the factory to handle boost and probably has all the engineered reinforcement to handle a little extra boost and the management system in place to cut power if it becomes too much for the motor to handle.

There's a TFL video that demonstrates how easy it is to make some impressive power with turbos, they put a tune onto a 3.5 ecoboost F150 and drag raced a 5.0 coyote mustang and it was just as fast, and this was JUST a tune, no hardware changes at all and it made a freaking pickup truck just as fast as a V8 sports car.

Cfbeaver

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4, Tesla Model Y, 2021 Bronco 4D BLSQTCH
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like the bronco may not get the v8....

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/14/ford-bronco-v8/

“"We have to manage the CO2 implications of the product. The way the federal requirements are now, it's all footprint-based. If you look at the shadow area of a small off-road vehicle, it has a pretty high target from a government perspective in terms of CO2," explained Eric Loefller, the Bronco's chief engineer, in an interview with Muscle Cars & Trucks. His comments confirm that, as of writing, a V8-powered variant is not in the pipeline.”

Tre

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala, Buick Enclave, '77 Suzuki GS750
Your Bronco Model
Base
Article from R & T echoing similar sentiment.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a34011049/will-there-be-a-v-8-ford-bronco/

"We have to manage the CO2 implications of the product. The way the federal requirements are now it’s all shadow area (footprint) based. If you look at the shadow area of a small off-road vehicle, it has a pretty high target from a government perspective in terms of CO2,” Loefller told Muscle Cars & Trucks.

"Ford would be willing to deal with that if the company needed a V-8 to meet customer targets for power, torque, and fuel economy, but Loeffler says that Ford doesn't need eight cylinders to hit those goals. Ford Global Program Manager Jeff Seaman, too, notes that the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 will likely satisfy pretty much everyone's needs."

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We, most of us, who want V8s understand that. And also know that a modern I4 TT can outperform a stock classic V8. And the 2.7 V6 TT can outperform by slightly built 351W in my 86. (but not the very built stroked 460 in my 82).

But we still want an 8 for.....reasons.....

And I only spend money on cars for stuff that I want or need. So, still waiting for some special limited run model with an 8 down the road. But I may get the 2.7 in a year or two if I like the performance of it.

jasonof2010

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata, Focus ST, GMC Sierra beater truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not talking about engines from companies like that. Im talking about real Factory engines from Motor Companies like Dodge, Chevy and Ford.

Also there already is Ecoboost engines turning well over the 150k+ mileage with no issues now that they've been out for 6+ years.

Here's a 300k example.

Also the V8 you picked has the power of the 2.3 Ecoboost and costs the same price. And the 2.3 with just a cheap 93 Octane tune makes more power. Thats the advantage of a factory turbo.
I don't understand the "reliability" arguments at all (and I question the age of those making such arguements). I''ve owned 3 EB motors all of them have been great and didn't need anything besides oil changes, the highest mileage one was at 165,000 when I sold it to my SIL and she still has it.

I remember a Focus ST that had 350,000 on it when the owner traded it in.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a shame, but not heartbreaking

If I wanna V8, I'd get myself a Muscle Car or another Truck honestly. I feel the 2.3t/2.7tt will suit this well enough and by the time they don't, I can afford an LS Swap xD
Sponsored