First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just saw this pop up in my FordPass app today and hadn't seen it mentioned yet elsewhere.

Ford Bronco Ford Power-Up 4.2.1.2 software update now available IMG_20230321_142813
Ford Bronco Ford Power-Up 4.2.1.2 software update now available IMG_20230321_142759

OK, follow up note.. Just got mine back from the dealer, and I did a double take of the lane keeping assist... It moves?!? Like, the Bronco moves left and right to show the lane departure... I never noticed that before.. I suspected that it may be because it's after midnight and I'm sleep deprived, but I triple checked and it's true. I'm not talking about the green brackets that turn red either... The bronco, it drifts. I dig it.

That said, I still can't get the vehicle alert (regarding the upgrade) to disappear from the fordpass app... See attached pic.
Ford Bronco Ford Power-Up 4.2.1.2 software update now available IMG_20230323_005418
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IT guy here - a lot of the recent updates are following in Android's footsteps. They're breaking the parts of the system down into smaller chunks so that those chunks can easily be updated on their own. This is so that updating one thing won't cause issues with other systems.
They want to be able to update something like the overlay on the backup camera, but if it has issues, not let those issues impact the rest of the vehicle.

Yes, there's been a lot of updates lately, but it's really going to make future updates better and safer to install going forward.

Personally, I'm all for regular updates, security patches, and keeping things running smoothly.

However, I also understand that I'm in the minority, and that most people would rather things just stay how they were when they bought the vehicle. I guess those users could just turn off updates if they don't want them though.

Last edited:

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turned my updates off, its an offroader, not a phone

Sponsored
OP
OP
Weissco

Weissco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was today years old when I learned that people get mad about receiving software updates.
Many early JL owners were mad when Jeep took away their off road pages ;) They got them back a few months later though.

And I am sick of having so many updates. I don't mind an update once or twice a year, but WTF I keep receiving updates. The latest on somehow didn't communicate to the app that it updated, so now every time I open the app I get a notice that I need to schedule the update in my Bronco, but the Bronco says there are no updates.

I'm in software by trade, and this just feels amateurish to me, like they released it before it was really ready and now they are constantly updating. And the SW itself in the Bronco feels like what a jr developer would create because they think it is what driver's want even though they've never driven a car. Get rid of the GOAT modes and just let me set my steering, throttle response, etc, and leave it the way I set it. Give me the ability to change the background colors (like my $300 pioneer head unit did back in '12).

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Many early JL owners were mad when Jeep took away their off road pages ;) They got them back a few months later though.

And I am sick of having so many updates. I don't mind an update once or twice a year, but WTF I keep receiving updates. The latest on somehow didn't communicate to the app that it updated, so now every time I open the app I get a notice that I need to schedule the update in my Bronco, but the Bronco says there are no updates.
I hear what you're saying... one the other hand my BD has the smaller screen and I've had my Bronco for a year now and I have yet to receive an update.... I have constant issues with carplay not connecting and other random issues with my head unit some I'm tapping my toes to get an update.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was today years old when I learned that people get mad about receiving software updates.
Owners are upset for lack of updates. Owners are upset for too many updates. Jesus fuck, you can’t please anyone these days…

The duality of owners, in a thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Owners are upset for lack of updates. Owners are upset for too many updates. Jesus fuck, you can’t please anyone these days…
I mean... my lack of updates are preventing me from using navigation unless I reboot the head unit several times. Is that not a legitimate complaint?

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Odd. I don't get the update alerts and I have autoupdates enabled. Nor can I see what version the systems is on - maybe I'm not looking in the right area. Not a sync fan.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IT guy here - a lot of the recent updates are following in Android's footsteps. They're breaking the parts of the system down into smaller chunks so that those chunks can easily be updated on their own. This is so that updating one thing won't cause issues with other systems.
They want to be able to update something like the overlay on the backup camera, but if it has issues, not let those issues impact the rest of the vehicle.

Yes, there's been a lot of updates lately, but it's really going to make future updates better and safer to install going forward.

Personally, I'm all for regular updates, security patches, and keeping things running smoothly.

However, I also understand that I'm in the minority, and that most people would rather things just stay how they were when they bought the vehicle. I guess those users could just turn off updates if they don't want them though...
Thanks for providing a high-level IT overview of what’s going on behind the scenes. My APIM was bricked by an unsuccessful update last summer, so I had to live with a blank screen and no audio and navigation for two months. Then the rash of incessant micro-updates began, but arrived with meaningless patch notes. Knowing that there are some real world benefits coming at the end of this process is comforting and helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I'm not a computer guy, wondering how to turn off updates on my desktop/laptop as well