Sponsored

How sophisticated could they make removable doors?

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All electronic start cars come with a fob with a small key inside.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The ford one (2012 focus experience) was hard to remove from the fob and it had no real "head" on the end to give you leverage to turn it. You also had to make sure you didn't lose the plastic cover. 3 pieces, fob, key, cover

The bmw one is released by pressing a big button and it had enough of a head that it would be easy to turn. 2 pieces, fob and key

Totally minor issues, nothing to make or break a deal. And I've never had to use either, so really the issue is more of a "which is easier to fidget with if my phone is out of battery and I'm bored"

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The fob for my Sentra also has a metal key that is removable if the battery dies. Works just fine.

On the other hand, the Explorer we have at work uses a fob with a spring-loaded key that flips out when you press a button. That fob is absurdly large, and I sincerely hope the one for the Bronco is nothing like it.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I REALLY hope they go with "convertible style" doors like what they are showing in this article: http://www.trucktrend.com/news/2021-bronco-feb20-news

Unless it has already been confirmed that this isn't happening initially but I missed it?
That is waaay complicated plus you still have to put the door skin and interior panel somewhere. I think they just went with the separate tube doors as an option, at least that's the only one I've seen.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my Titan came with a valet key that would only do the door and ignition somebody threw it out on me though. Older truck without push button start or anything.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Locked-n-loaded

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those talking about FOBs...

On my Platinum Edge I had, I bought a switchblade key FOB (the key flipped out & still had all FOB options/buttons) on eBay, transplanted the key & programed in 5min & dispensed with the lame factory straight FOB/key.

I'd be surprised if this wouldn't be possible with whatever Bronco gets for keys. Making a cool smaller profile key that can stow the actual "key" with a button flip.

This is an example of the switchblade fob

Ford Bronco How sophisticated could they make removable doors? jingyuqin-Modified-Flip-Key-Shell-Uncut-Blank-refit-for-Ford-Mercury-Edge-Flex-Expedition-Esca

This was the lame oem fob
Ford Bronco How sophisticated could they make removable doors? 2011-ford-edge-keyless-entry-remote-key-3-button-24

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those talking about FOBs...

On my Platinum Edge I had, I bought a switchblade key FOB (the key flipped out & still had all FOB options/buttons) on eBay, transplanted the key & programed in 5min & dispensed with the lame factory straight FOB/key.

I'd be surprised if this wouldn't be possible with whatever Bronco gets for keys. Making a cool smaller profile key that can stow the actual "key" with a button flip.

This is an example of the switchblade fob

jingyuqin-Modified-Flip-Key-Shell-Uncut-Blank-refit-for-Ford-Mercury-Edge-Flex-Expedition-Esca...jpg

This was the lame oem fob
2011-ford-edge-keyless-entry-remote-key-3-button-24.jpg
What?

1. You wont need the key on a regular basis because it will have push button start, so there’s no need For a quick flip.

2. The fob will have the key in it, so if you experience a battery failure, you can still unlock your doors.

We already know what the fobs will (apparently) be... there was a shot of them from the CO event. (I’m looking for the picture now)

EDIT::

Fobs spied in a pre—production unit.

Ford Bronco How sophisticated could they make removable doors? 1600121299635

Ford Bronco How sophisticated could they make removable doors? 1600121386277

Last edited:

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The ford one (2012 focus experience) was hard to remove from the fob and it had no real "head" on the end to give you leverage to turn it. You also had to make sure you didn't lose the plastic cover. 3 pieces, fob, key, cover

The bmw one is released by pressing a big button and it had enough of a head that it would be easy to turn. 2 pieces, fob and key

Totally minor issues, nothing to make or break a deal. And I've never had to use either, so really the issue is more of a "which is easier to fidget with if my phone is out of battery and I'm bored"
Oh, Ford's newest key is just 2 pieces that separate, as pictured above.

irv0735

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4, 2021 Bronco Reserved
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Somehow this thread took a key turn.

Door removal looks like it shouldn't be too bad. As others stated, the electrical connection is very simple and well designed. There are two hinges. One has a bolt that will have to be removed. The other is just a pin that the door rests on, so you'll just be able to lift off and be careful not to bump the fender. They lined the area with the hinges and connection with what appears to be fairly durable plastic to prevent paint damage in that area.

Back to the key point at hand... It's also nice to have the removable key from the fob when surfing. You don't want the electronic part to get damaged in the water. This is not relevant if the keypad is included.