Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost positive someone from Ford confirmed that was incorrect and it would have a 2” receiver. Really hoping it is not a class II and does have the 2” receiver so all my hitch accessories don’t need adapters.

thanks for digging that up. I’ll dig deeper.
I believe it was confirmed by Ford to be a 2” Class II... exactly like what is currently installed on my Wrangler JK.

Just because a receiver is 2” doesn’t mean it’s rated a class III... seems to be where the confusion is here.

For the record I would *love* to be proven wrong here, but I believe this has been thoroughly researched and confirmed by B6G at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe it was confirmed by Ford to be a 2” Class II... exactly like what is currently installed on my Wrangler JK.

Just because a receiver is 2” doesn’t mean it’s rated a class III... seems to be where the confusion is here.

For the record I would *love* to be proven wrong here, but I believe this has been thoroughly researched and confirmed by B6G at this point.
Fair point. I should stop seeding confusion too, without solid evidence.

For me, I don't care anything about the rating of Class II vs. Class III as far as the Bronco goes. I just want the 2" receiver so all my stuff works. I don't load anything on my cargo tray that would ever exceed 350 pounds anyway.

Will definitely be nice when we have the Build and Price finally...

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fair point. I should stop seeding confusion too, without solid evidence.

For me, I don't care anything about the rating of Class II vs. Class III as far as the Bronco goes. I just want the 2" receiver so all my stuff works. I don't load anything on my cargo tray that would ever exceed 350 pounds anyway.

Will definitely be nice when we have the Build and Price finally...
tenor.gif

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base

Correct, Bronco has a 2" receiver but it doesn't have ClassIII tow capacity. I saw some pics from the Buena Vista, CO event and it is 4 bolts on the center of the rearmost frame CROSSMEMBER https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...st-q-a-with-photos-by-imissmy1996bronco.5262/. That is not a ClassIII hitch, however there sure seems potential for a ClassIII by Ford or aftermarket.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep, that's the "naked" pic, shows the ClassII 4-bolt on the rearmost crossmember. Shows the rear suspension, shows the towhooks bolted to the framerails where a ClassIII hitch can be bolted, shows the factory 4/7 pin.

That setup can be modified to 5000lbs, but those skinny rear coils will need to be thick HD coils and a frame-mounted hitch. Stronger rear shocks.

A real tow package is doable.

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Meh, I plan to get the 4 door, sawzall the cage, yank the the rear seats and install a 5th wheel hitch, long live the goose neck.....
I so want to believe I may live to see this one day! LOL :p

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, that's the "naked" pic, shows the ClassII 4-bolt on the rearmost crossmember. Shows the rear suspension, shows the towhooks bolted to the framerails where a ClassIII hitch can be bolted, shows the factory 4/7 pin.

That setup can be modified to 5000lbs, but those skinny rear coils will need to be thick HD coils and a frame-mounted hitch. Stronger rear shocks.

A real tow package is doable.
200.gif

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So do we think the Factory Tow package will be something heavier duty than that 4 bolt attachment? AND would that mean it would hang down more as a result?

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This tongue doesn't look like
Brought up by a legitimate source or brought up by same random on here? Just askin. ?
Aren't we legitimately random?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So do we think the Factory Tow package will be something heavier duty than that 4 bolt attachment? AND would that mean it would hang down more as a result?
No. Everything We’ve seen and heard from Ford so far is that it will be a 2”, Class II hitch, as seen in the picture of the frame above, with a 3,500lb limit.

It was asked whether that rating might be increased by launch, and the answer from Ford was “no.”

Of course, as with everything, I’m not going to totally believe anything until B&P comes out, but that’s what we know thus far.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No. Everything We’ve seen and heard from Ford so far is that it will be a 2”, Class II hitch, as seen in the picture of the frame above, with a 3,500lb limit.

It was asked whether that rating might be increased by launch, and the answer from Ford was “no.”

Of course, as with everything, I’m not going to totally believe anything until B&P comes out, but that’s what we know thus far.
OH .. so the pick IS the tow package? So without that $600 you don't even get a hitch?

Crap... gotta have a hitch.. wonder how long before Aftermarket comes up with a solid one bolted to the frame...

I just thought of something... if that is the case, then maybe that 600 should just be applied to an aftermarket rear bumper because they come with a class 3 usually don't they?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OH .. so the pick IS the tow package? So without that $600 you don't even get a hitch?

Crap... gotta have a hitch.. wonder how long before Aftermarket comes up with a solid one bolted to the frame...

I just thought of something... if that is the case, then maybe that 600 should just be applied to an aftermarket rear bumper because they come with a class 3 usually don't they?
This is a can of worms that has been debated and discussed in depth for a while here.

Basically, yes, it seems that the $600 gets you the receiver and the wiring harness (4 and 7 pin, in their defense). No brake controller, no extra cooling, brakes, springs, etc. Just the receiver and harness. There is “trailer sway control” that is accessible through the dash controls, but it seems that it is standard on all trims, separate from the tow package. Many people feel that $600 is a lot for just the receiver and harness, and can save money going aftermarket.

Some people have decided to Save their $600 and invest in an aftermarket unit when it comes available. Because the Bronco is based on the next gen Ranger platform, which can tow Considerably more, they figure that it will be a trivial matter and minimal investment to instal an aftermarket receiver that attaches to the longitudinal frame rails (where those tow hooks are) and would be able to handle a higher load... and also adding more rigid springs, additional load spreading equipment, sway bars, etc etc etc.. all in the effort to push the limit beyond 3,500lbs...

All that said, the Bronco is still only *rated* for 3,500lbs (and there are a lot of factors that go into that rating, not just the receiver), so I would caution anyone to go above that rating unless they know full well what they are doing.
Sponsored