Sponsored

Aluminum lower control arm, should we be concerned?

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
driving without a spotter using 'steer by feel' is a guaranteed way to damage any vehicle.
That's true to some degree. On the jeep it was mostly just missing paint. Sometimes an alignment due to hitting the tie rod a little too hard.
Sponsored

nyhcinaz

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How about the low shock mount on the rear as well haha. I have a feeling there's going to be a flurry of aftermarket replacements quickly.
they stick out even lower on a wrangler there are cheap relocation kits for them, I'm sure there will be for the bronco

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OMG! Please stop!

Aluminum suspension bits means less un-sprung weight and thus means a much more responsive suspension overall. It is a major upgrade and I am shocked Ford is doing aluminum on the Bronco

I would argue that the bronco setup with upper and lower aluminum control arms are better than the Raptor. The Raptor only has an aluminum lower arm.

What is the difference BMW series cars and their M counterparts? Engine and aluminum suspension bits.

GRRRRR!

Orangeinthebarn

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 z71, 1992 bronco, 1977 F-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If they are forged it shouldn’t be a problem. GM z71 had aluminum with many failures went to steel may 2016

OP
OP
SliderJack

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

OMG! Please stop!

Aluminum suspension bits means less un-sprung weight and thus means a much more responsive suspension overall. It is a major upgrade and I am shocked Ford is doing aluminum on the Bronco

I would argue that the bronco setup with upper and lower aluminum control arms are better than the Raptor. The Raptor only has an aluminum lower arm.

What is the difference BMW series cars and their M counterparts? Engine and aluminum suspension bits.

GRRRRR!
No shit. I have aluminum upper and lowers on my Viper and I understand their purpose. But I don't drive the Viper over boulders either.

For those with off-road experience who gave me their opinion, thanks.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OMG! Please stop!

GRRRRR!
Shh, you’re bringing up painful but beautiful memories of Acura’s with gorgeous A-arms, civics with suspensions craved by corvettes, all now behind me and forgotten by time.

If someone wants to spend good money buying heavier suspension bits, it’s all good. Same thing happens in other industries where lightweight is pre-judged as being less robust. I just saw Mr Glickenhaus posting on here. I don’t think he shops at the same store they do. ?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have aluminum skids on my Fj for my steel lower control arms. They have held up fine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SliderJack

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
doesn't the aluminum lower control arm look vulnerable? Wouldn't steel be better here?

1-bronco-badlands-at-bronco-west-celebration-8-jpg.jpg

I'd really like to see a photo of underside those Moab/Johnson Valley test mules. Here's the closest I have to the above photo from a Jeep. You can see the axle and lower control arm suffer from a lot of rock rash. I'd expect the same on those test rigs. The cool thing is no rust, in the LCAs, but I would be nice to see if they get gouged out really deep or not.

Ford Bronco Aluminum lower control arm, should we be concerned? MotorHomeDamage20100213_15_34_10

OP
OP
SliderJack

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'd really like to see a photo of underside those Moab/Johnson Valley test mules. Here's the closest I have to the above photo from a Jeep. You can see the axle and lower control arm suffer from a lot of rock rash. I'd expect the same on those test rigs. The cool thing is no rust, in the LCAs, but I would be nice to see if they get gouged out really deep or not.

Ford Bronco Aluminum lower control arm, should we be concerned? 6F56CE4B-9D89-4D81-9272-6D37AF2281D1
Yeah, I'd like to see the Rubicon rigs. But they also had the benefit of pro spotters.

Regardless, its all academic. Something to chat about. It doesnt really matter.
Sponsored