rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
NO NO NO! [opionated opinion to follow...]

My personal quest is to eliminate electronics from my life to the maximum extent possible.

Don't like large bulky key FOBs and can do without the FOB functions altogether. (normal size coded key is fine.)
Looking to minimize the quantity of expensive to repair gizmo electronic failure points in my vehicle.
In my case I never carry a cell phone except for out of town trips for emergency purposes.
Hoping to be able to turn off the 8" screen and never use it.
Not interested in learning another little finger dance on a touch screen to operate some function I did not want to have to employ.
Afraid that the electronic communications solution could turn into periodic software updates, paid subscriptions, and obsolesence.

Careful what you wish for - this could get ugly when the vendors get control of your car (and your wallet).
Sponsored

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Itā€™s funny the level people donā€™t understand this tech. Itā€˜s not an app that onlocks and remote starts your car. It eliminates the key fob in your pocket. You can set it to force code/face recognition unlock/start or just have it in your pocket. You can share the key with up to 5 people. The NFC works for 5 hours even if your phone dies. It works with the Apple Watch too.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You donā€™t need Apple. On my Challenger I can add the app to my watch and start the car from my watch and phone. So as long as the Ford app can be added to the watch, it will work.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess I would have to limit my tiktok time otherwise I'd drain my phone battery and cant get in my car.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think at least half of you guys are not getting the difference between the Apple Car Key system and your vehicle's connected services via app.

As mentioned once or twice before, if you have to use some sort of app on your phone to perform any sort of function on your car, then that's a Connected Services.

Apple's Car Key system is similar to pairing your phone to your car via Bluetooth or NFC, you don't need to do anything other than be within remote proximity of your vehicle to unlock or start/drive your car once the phone is paired with the car -- the phone is a literal replacement of your key fob, no app required. The only product in Ford's line-up that has been confirmed to support this feature as of this post is the Mach-E.

Sponsored

Cooppierce

Badlands
First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone heard whether there will be compatibility with Appleā€™s new digital car key function? It would be nice to unlock and start the Bronco with an iPhone or an Apple Watch.
So far bmw is the only official car company with it. But thereā€™s a good chance bronco will have it, because Ford has always been an early adopter of apples car tech ?

GotWake

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You donā€™t need Apple. On my Challenger I can add the app to my watch and start the car from my watch and phone. So as long as the Ford app can be added to the watch, it will work.
You still canā€™t just drive off without the key fob. How is it you guys canā€™t seem to understand that the phone becomes your key fob?

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

ā€œ
With Car Key, drivers can replace physical keys with their iPhone. As Apple demonstrated during the WWDC 2020 keynote, you can simply hold your iPhone close to the carā€™s door handle to unlock it using NFC technology.

Once youā€™re inside it, put your iPhone in the NFC reader or wireless charger to start the car. If you have an iPhone 11 or later, you donā€™t even have to take your iPhone out of your pocket to unlock the doors or start the car thanks to the U1 chip ā€” Apple says this feature will be available with new cars starting next year.ā€
Just don't let your phone die while you are away from the house.

8ts9nsyuo31kn4irlo3w31ln1y7ts8cjv0hr06kn&rid=giphy.gif

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You still canā€™t just drive off without the key fob. How is it you guys canā€™t seem to understand that the phone becomes your key fob?
You need to work on your reading comprehension.

A) OP asked about unlocking and starting vehicle from phone or watch, I gave him the necessary information.

B) I never said anything about a key fob, nor did he, so take your childish rant elsewhere.

K, thanks.

Last edited:

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

FordPass has had both the phone app and watch app for years.

Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FordPass has had both the phone app and watch app for years.
Well see there you go! No need for Apple in this situation, I do the same thing on my Challenger with my watch.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well see there you go! No need for Apple in this situation, I do the same thing on my Challenger with my watch.
Yup, I've used the app and watch on my Mustang and have loved having the feature.

That said, the feature they're talking about IS different - the one they're talking about effectively replaces the key fob.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, I've used the app and watch on my Mustang and have loved having the feature.

That said, the feature they're talking about IS different - the one they're talking about effectively replaces the key fob.
Oh Iā€™m aware I was merely pointing out that you should be able to achieve what he said (unlock/start vehicle) from his phone or watch without the Apple integration.

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will need the key. My experience with the app is that when you remote start it and no key is nearby the car just shuts off or refused to leave park. (I can't remember which one it was, but she wasn't going to drive anywhere)
The Mercedes Me app for my GLC63 lets me lock and unlock, and remote start it, but even if I have the fob with me, once I open the doors, the engine shuts off and I need to restart it. If I don't have the fob with me, I cannot open the door with the engine running. I'd have to turn it off with the phone if I want to open the door with the phone. Either way, without the fob, I cannot move the car. Remote app start is strictly for cooling or heating the car prior to getting in.

Last edited:

mkennedy009

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Triumph Bonneville T100 110th Anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure I would use it to unlock the doors while they are hanging in the garage. Like my former Jeep LJ it will not have doors until the rainy season starts in the PNW. The engine starting is cool. I will wait until all I need is an apple watch to open and start the bronco. Very Bond, James Bond.
Sponsored