Sponsored

Anyone else hoping that there will be a reveal of a fully electric Bronco? Or pretty much happy with the gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know a lot of people in here don't really care for electric, and that's fine, but I'm actually fairly worried about making an investment in a vehicle that might be worthless 5-10 years from now so it's giving me some hangups. We're definitely still in the early stages but I've seen so many reports of how fast electric vehicles will become the norm. One of the warning signs I've read about is where gasoline becomes more difficult for mom and pop gas stations to stock, the change will happen very quickly. Kind of like how rapid the adoption of cellphones, and then smart phones, and social media was.

I like the usability of gasoline on the trails, and at this point in time there is nothing to really to worry about but looking towards the future electric vehicles are rising more and more each year and will only get cheaper and more accessible. And with BP releasing its report that we've already reached peak oil consumption and it will rapidly drop off after 2035 and possibly faster its getting harder for me to justify gas with that in mind. Plus even with all their issues Tesla is growing so much year over year. I canceled a cybertruck preorder for the Bronco.

I do think that some of the worst parts about electric offroad will be solved over the next few years as more people adopt but man, this is hard. Gas is really just so cheap and easy right now. Currently reserved a Badlands with the V6 but feeling torn. Would love to hear other thoughts!
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the hybrid was available now then that would probably, price sensitive though, be my drivetrain of choice.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had seriously looked at a Rivian but the economics werent quite there for me yet. Same as if a eBronco came out today.

Give it a few years for tech to go up and price to come down and I'll be all in.

I don't need my vehicle to go vroom-vroom. I want it to be effecient, reasonably economic, and better for the environment. Not to mention the performance gains that comes with it much as the petrol-heads here collective chagrin.

In a few years I'll look again. I plan to keep the Bronco for a long time but I'll never rule out a solid electric vehicle.

Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t want a fully electric off road vehicle. What happens when you run out of charge in the middle of the desert? A gas can can’t help you.

A hybrid would be cool like the F150 Powerboost but a full plug in EV would be worthless.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lol. They literally are.

Gas vehicles will still be around for a long time but you're out to lunch if you think fossil fuels will be around forever.
Actually before I was in the field I’m in now I worked in the energy sector, fossil fuel WILL be around forever, in almost all cases companies have came back to oil drilling sites abandoned for 75+/- years and find a tract that was once completely depleted at 80-90% of capacity, more than enough to reestablish drilling operations.

Peak oil was the biggest lie after AGW ever pushed.

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if we do purchase the bronco, i can see it being our last ICE vehicle. with our 2018 volvo xc60 and the possibility of a 2021 ford bronco, we won't be purchasing a new car after that for a long time.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Actually before I was in the field I’m in now I worked in the energy sector, fossil fuel WILL be around forever, in almost all cases companies have came back to oil drilling sites abandoned for 75+/- years and find a tract that was once completely depleted at 80-90% of capacity, more than enough to reestablish drilling operations.

Peak oil was the biggest lie after AGW ever pushed.
Like I said.... It will be around for a long time, gas vehicles will be around for a long time, but as of right now we're using it faster than it is being created.

Ive worked in the oil fields in Canada and the US. I know sites are being revisited but doesn't mean it can go on forever.

Technoliges change. Our dependencies change. No one knows for sure what the future holds. But thinking fossil fuels will always go on forever and always be the answer is short-sighted.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know a lot of people in here don't really care for electric, and that's fine, but I'm actually fairly worried about making an investment in a vehicle that might be worthless 5-10 years from now so it's giving me some hangups. We're definitely still in the early stages but I've seen so many reports of how fast electric vehicles will become the norm. One of the warning signs I've read about is where gasoline becomes more difficult for mom and pop gas stations to stock, the change will happen very quickly. Kind of like how rapid the adoption of cellphones, and then smart phones, and social media was.

I like the usability of gasoline on the trails, and at this point in time there is nothing to really to worry about but looking towards the future electric vehicles are rising more and more each year and will only get cheaper and more accessible. And with BP releasing its report that we've already reached peak oil consumption and it will rapidly drop off after 2035 and possibly faster its getting harder for me to justify gas with that in mind. Plus even with all their issues Tesla is growing so much year over year. I canceled a cybertruck preorder for the Bronco.

I do think that some of the worst parts about electric offroad will be solved over the next few years as more people adopt but man, this is hard. Gas is really just so cheap and easy right now. Currently reserved a Badlands with the V6 but feeling torn. Would love to hear other thoughts!
You raise some interesting points and I love thinking about this stuff. What will my kids be telling their grand kids in 50-60 years about that will generate big ooh’s and ahhs? Will it be stories about filling up an actual car that burned gas? Driving a fully electric car? Or some other big change that hasn’t happened yet and we can’t see coming?

For now electric storage is on par with the ICE emissions problem, in my eyes. At some point someone will crack that problem entirely or another tech will come along and eat their lunch. Any way it works out, I hope to see you on the trail in my 2.3 Bronco & I’ll carry a jerry can for you, just in case. ✌?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Like I said.... It will be around for a long time, gas vehicles will be around for a long time, but as of right now we're using it faster than it is being created.

Ive worked in the oil fields in Canada and the US. I know sites are being revisited but doesn't mean it can go on forever.

Technoliges change. Our dependencies change. No one knows for sure what the future holds. But thinking fossil fuels will always go on forever and always be the answer is short-sighted.
Many are not short-sighted, some just understand there will still be gas 10 years from now, the original question.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Electric of some kind is the way of the future, it's just a matter of when that will be and what the storage medium will look like. Remember there were a lot of horses and no gas stations 120 years ago.

Personally I'd love a hybrid of some sort for the advantages of both gas and electric - either a typical PHEV or onboard generator-tied BEV. The instant torque of electric is undeniable and it'd be great to have something ultra quiet when I'm hanging my head out the window while truck hunting. Not to mention the overall fuel savings for my 106km commute.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.