Sponsored

Anyone else hoping that there will be a reveal of a fully electric Bronco? Or pretty much happy with the gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJM76

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven Tesla’s. I actually ship them out of California.

They are super fast and really quiet. But when that battery is dead you can’t even get into the car. Not only can you not get into the car, you can’t even access the door handle to try to open the door. I believe there is some kind of work around to crawling through the frunk but it’s really frustrating.

I couldn’t imagine how helpless I would feel being off road or in the middle of nowhere highway and I can’t even get back in to my car and wait for a tow truck.

Sweet! Send me one. Just not that butt ugly Cybertruck!

I understand your point regarding the greater consequences of running out of fuel with an EV. I just can't remember the last time I ran out of gas, if ever. Granted there are many users here that have intended uses that would exceed the range of any given EV, I'm just not one of them.
Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have zero interest in a purely electric vehicle now and in the next few generations of horrifically destructive battery technology.

Beyond lack of infrastructure, the EV industry is polluting at levels not seen since the world was at war and in new and exciting ways.
Come on now, that is downright FUD that you are spreading.

Sure, the lack of infrastructure is an issue and will be until everyone that gets an electric vehicle also gets (or has access to) a renewable source of energy for charging the batteries (solar, wind, hydroelectric, etc). Until then, it will take fossil fuels and the release of CO2 to run the electric car anyway... but even so, it should be more environmentally friendly to go electric. The same can be said for the manufacturing of batteries (and electric cars). Manufactures need to move to renewable energy sources to really make a positive impact.

As far as disposing of batteries, there is much improvement to be made for recycling and reuse of batteries but they are already making progress on that front and it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

With that said, the charging infrastructure and limited range is what is keeping me from going fully electric right now.

TLDR;

tenor.gif

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m not interested in full electric as battery tech/charging isn’t fast enough to be as “don’t even think about it” convenient as gas. I’d be interested in Hybrid but I’d be worried about the weight and price penalty.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love a fully electric! As long as they can get the range. Really wish they had figured a way to get solar to charge batteries quicker. That would be amazing taking it off road and not have to worry about charging.

BonzosBronco

Badlands
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Explorer, RIP 89 Bronco XLT, 2020 FTR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
definitely. competition is doing it. not sure if everyone's seen GMC Hummer
https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

I know, not in the same category, it's a 'super truck', but I'm definitely interested in a Bronco with 1000 Broncos under the hood...er center console/at the wheels/location TBD

Sponsored

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
definitely. competition is doing it. not sure if everyone's seen GMC Hummer
https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

I know, not in the same category, it's a 'super truck', but I'm definitely interested in a Bronco with 1000 Broncos under the hood...er center console/at the wheels/location TBD
Yeah I love the idea of the hummer but I am guessing that the pricing is going to be nearly double.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Come on now, that is downright FUD that you are spreading.

Sure, the lack of infrastructure is an issue and will be until everyone that gets an electric vehicle also gets (or has access to) a renewable source of energy for charging the batteries (solar, wind, hydroelectric, etc). Until then, it will take fossil fuels and the release of CO2 to run the electric car anyway... but even so, it should be more environmentally friendly to go electric. The same can be said for the manufacturing of batteries (and electric cars). Manufactures need to move to renewable energy sources to really make a positive impact.

As far as disposing of batteries, there is much improvement to be made for recycling and reuse of batteries but they are already making progress on that front and it shouldn't be an issue for much longer.

With that said, the charging infrastructure and limited range is what is keeping me from going fully electric right now.

TLDR;
Each generation of battery technology has incurred the monumental carbon "bill" of obtaining an entirely new rare natural resource and bringing that material to market in nations with do not have a comprehensive environmental control standards (Lithium mining turned into cobalt mining which is now nickel mining... For fun look up what horrific results happened at each step and the environmental costs for each).

Each "step" in battery tech has come with the understanding that there would be zero effort of sustainability or resource management as the development and bringing to market are the only objectives.

No concept or intention of recycling, re-using or even effective resource usage exist anywhere in the industry.

This is in lockstep with an energy grid based on burning coal. Wind and tide harvesting cannot fulfill human electrical needs (look to the Netherlands for why these technologies are not viable). American politics have determined that 1960's nuclear technology is not viable for Americans (shocking), and no new nuclear infrastructure has been developed here since the 1970's.

So, no, looking at the actual carbon footprint and single-use, throw-away development of incremental battery tech does not make me want to endorse that concept at this time.

If I lived underground and just wanted a fun fast car while shoving my waste onto somebody else (AMERICA!) and preferably some nation without an EPA that I could threaten politically to virtue signal to all my friends how butt-tastically awesome and "in-touch" I am, then yea, i'm 100% behind it.

Namaste to my coal-powered EV buddies!

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sweet! Send me one. Just not that butt ugly Cybertruck!

I understand your point regarding the greater consequences of running out of fuel with an EV. I just can't remember the last time I ran out of gas, if ever. Granted there are many users here that have intended uses that would exceed the range of any given EV, I'm just not one of them.
But can you remember the last time you got really low on gas and pulled off the highway and filled up in 3 minutes? That is how we don’t run out of fuel and it’s not that quick with an EV. So you gotta choose should I stay for a full charge or can I get to where I’m going with half a charge.

I like the idea of EV’s. I want an electric KTM dirt bike. But for me they would only make sense as an around town commuter. The Bronco to me screams take me for a road trip and that just wouldn’t be able to be done as easily.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd go for an all electric bronco. I could just plug it into a 120v outlet every night and let it charge away. No more oil changes or gas stations. I'd take a hybrid if they can get more hp and torque and mileage.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd go for an all electric bronco. I could just plug it into a 120v outlet every night and let it charge away. No more oil changes or gas stations. I'd take a hybrid if they can get more hp and torque and mileage.
120v doesn't get you much charge. New wiring in my garage was one of the economic strikes for me.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
120v doesn't get you much charge. New wiring in my garage was one of the economic strikes for me.
If you get home from work at 5pm and then plug into a 120v by the next morning you should have a descent charge. 2 to 4 miles per hour for a tesla so 12 hours would yield 24 to 48 miles....It would probably work for most people. You could even run a small deficit each day during the week and then let it catch up on the weekends. The bronco probably won't be as efficient as the tesla though but again depending on your situation it could work.

Last edited:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you get home from work at 5pm and then plug into a 120v by the next morning you should have a descent charge. 2 to 4 miles per hour for a tesla so 12 hours would yield 24 to 48 miles....It would probably work for most people. You could even run a small deficit each day during the week and then let it catch up on the weekends.
It would be pretty touch and go relying on 120v. Especially with the efficiency drop in cold weather. There's only one super charger within 20 miles. I was definitely looking at installing my own charger.

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Midwestpilot, I understand your concern. I drive a Tesla Model 3 and will be trading it for the Bronco. I love that car but can't afford both. I have thought about holding off for the hybrid version but my biggest concern is the complexity of the Hybrid system. I'm just not sure how it will hold up off road. If they would allow you full access to the battery system for boondocking, it might sway me to get a hybrid. Jeeps 4XE is going to have the gas engine plus two electric motors. Seems over complicated from the start. Plus, Hybrids typically have smaller gas tanks. I want the biggest tank possibly off road.

Gas and gas vehicles will be around for a long time. The reality is, both electric and gas will coexist because sometimes one is better than the other for the job at hand.

With that being said, how do you plan on using it? If it's a Mall crawler, it might be worth waiting on the Hybrid. If your going to do a lot of off road, you might want to consider gas only.

As far as the pollution discussion, making electric vehicles does pollute more. The real question of whether they are worse for the environment depends on where the electricity comes from that charges them. I seen a good video that basically showed it takes almost 3 years of recharging on 100% renewable energy, to start having a positive environmental impact. If you're recharging 100% on Coal, it takes 18 years.

I have driven Tesla’s. I actually ship them out of California.

They are super fast and really quiet. But when that battery is dead you can’t even get into the car. Not only can you not get into the car, you can’t even access the door handle to try to open the door. I believe there is some kind of work around to crawling through the frunk but it’s really frustrating.

I couldn’t imagine how helpless I would feel being off road or in the middle of nowhere highway and I can’t even get back in to my car and wait for a tow truck.
The Model 3 and Model Y have mechanical door handles and if the car is not locked, you can get in. You can't crawl though the Frunk but the 12 volt battery is under there. You can manually open the Frunk and jump the 12 volt battery if needed. Now if the main battery is dead, your waiting on a flatbed lol.

SharpGT500

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 74, 78, 80, 84 II XLS. Current: 1974
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you get home from work at 5pm and then plug into a 120v by the next morning you should have a descent charge. 2 to 4 miles per hour for a tesla so 12 hours would yield 24 to 48 miles....It would probably work for most people. You could even run a small deficit each day during the week and then let it catch up on the weekends. The bronco probably won't be as efficient as the tesla though but again depending on your situation it could work.
Doing this severely limits the use of a $50,000 vehicle. What if you have an emergency or need to run to a store on the other side of town. Now you have to leave it plugged in all weekend and can't use it. The point of having full electric, is to use it as much as possible and not rely on a gas vehicle. I say this from experience. Plus, as stated above, you lose at least a third of your range in the winter. 120v isn't even enough to preheat the car with.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.