First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, 7.3 is longer and taller... in fact, it's significantly longer, to the point that the engine alone wouldn't fit in a Mustang without cutting into the firewall

"Godzilla" is a truck engine, Coyote is a sports car engine. Godzilla is pushrod and made to make power just above idle, whereas Coyote is made to rev out high and make power at the very top of the rev range. Coyote is overall smaller and lighter, revs higher but doesn't make as much torque (essentially meaning same speed but less likely to spin tires), whereas Godzilla is bigger and heavier, makes gobs of torque but hits fuel cut about 2000rpm lower, and would probably roast tires from idle but lose steam after that
Not saying you are wrong. Just saying, I had read that it would fit in the mustang with modification to the cowl, not the firewall. Doesn't matter anyways, its a pipe dream to wish that in a factory bronco. I was disappointed when I heard the 4.8l pushrod v8 that was in the works got shelved. THAT would be perfect for the bronco. I would guess the new 7.3 will be somewhere in between the 351 and 460 for outside dimensions which is more narrow than the 5.0, but longer with the water pump.
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I wish they'd bring back throttle cables

Remind me, why'd they switch to Fbw?
Emissions regulations. All road-car engine development is driven first and foremost by the need to meet emissions regulations.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Emissions regulations. All road-car engine development is driven first and foremost by the need to meet emissions regulations.
Plus, throttle by wire allows for:
cruise control entirely in software without extra components
different throttle mappings for different drive modes
Launch control (not really relevant to Bronco, but still)

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotcha, gotcha

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Those Damn EPA agents !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus I think the Godzilla is for F-450 and bigger, motorhomes and such that do not fall under the EPA regs for fuel mileage and emissions that the 5.0 does.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my bored/stroked 460 is at around 600 horses. running pump gas with 11.5:1 comp and a slightly reworked block and very reworked heads. she also turns 7k RPM. 513ci
A Boss 9 is close to the 4 digits on hp and torque. Uses a 429/460 block just a set of heads, intake, and a cam to match.

Last edited:

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Gotcha

In that case, bring out Gojira and a manual that can handle that beast. Also would get tasteful rice with a Godzilla badge on the side

Wait a second, LS motors are Pushrods, so essentially bored/stroked LS7 vs Coyote in a nutshell
Big Block Pushrod vs Coyote
LS7 is a small block

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Big Block Pushrod vs Coyote
LS7 is a small block
although it is a "clean sheet of paper" build I would not classify Godzilla as a big block, more a BIG inch small block Would have to do some checking but don't think the 7.3 is a big as a 429/460 block only slightly bigger the Coyote. IMO

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
although it is a "clean sheet of paper" build I would not classify Godzilla as a big block, more a BIG inch small block Would have to do some checking but don't think the 7.3 is a big as a 429/460 block only slightly bigger the Coyote. IMO
Nope, it's a big block. I can't find the article where Ford themselves call it a big block, but this one does quite a few times https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/02/ford-building-new-big-block-v8-for-heavy-trucks.html

I really think you guys are severely underestimating just how big this engine is

Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those Damn EPA agents !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus I think the Godzilla is for F-450 and bigger, motorhomes and such that do not fall under the EPA regs for fuel mileage and emissions that the 5.0 does.
It's in F250 and up....

It was designed to fill a gap within the engines offered. It's currently a Naturally Aspirated offering, but it's built with components that can handle Forced Induction.

There's a YouTube Video where Ford goes through all of this.

Found the video:

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First off you must have missed the first part that said clean sheet of paper, so they can call it anything they want. Yes I heard them "call" it a big block but to me it is more of a small block sized. I believe it is smaller than 429/460 block. For us old guys it goes small block 260, 289, 302, 351. big block 429/460 that replaced 352,390,428,and the badass 427 side-oiler. I'm sure some will correct me if I'm wrong but, for the most part that was the lineup for a looooooong time, then came the MOD motor in 96 it all changed no more pushrod. :angry: I don't want high winding I want torque that's what puts a smile on your face.

If I am correct Brian Wolfe headed up this engine development and back in the late 80's he also helped work on the gt-40 development for the 302(5-OH as everyone knows it know). It was a higher flowing head and intake package sold in the now Ford Performance catalogue. so he is a "small block" guy, and old school.

It is AWESOME he brought back the pushrod, I thought it was gone forever. Just to highlight 5-Oh 2 bolt block good for about 500 ponies with forced induction. more than that, ……. borrowed time. Then time to upgrade to a 4-bolt main good for 4 digits then. Goadzilla ...….. it has 4-bolts in the mains and has 2 cross bolts in the block that tie into those mains for a total of 6 bolt mains !!!! Guys this motor is ready for a set of twin turbos RIGHT OTTA THE BOX. If Brian Wolfe would be a women I would be in love. LOL If Ford offers this in the catalogue as a crate motor I can see it selling. I would have been in heaven back in the day for Ford to have offered something like this.

Don't take this the wrong way. Not trying to argue just putting it in perspective. To us old school guys most think of big block as 429/460 achitecture.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
First off you must have missed the first part that said clean sheet of paper, so they can call it anything they want. Yes I heard them "call" it a big block but to me it is more of a small block sized. I believe it is smaller than 429/460 block.
It's pretty close actually. Bore spacing in the Godzilla is only .3" smaller than the 429/460 (which is still bigger than any small block V8 on the market), and bore diameter is only 3mm smaller... in fact, it has larger bore diameter than many Chevy big blocks! I'm telling you guys, this Godzilla is a lot bigger than yall think it is

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's pretty close actually. Bore spacing in the Godzilla is only .3" smaller than the 429/460 (which is still bigger than any small block V8 on the market), and bore diameter is only 3mm smaller... in fact, it has larger bore diameter than many Chevy big blocks! I'm telling you guys, this Godzilla is a lot bigger than yall think it is

Ok got "cha

I have not researched a lot about it and was in the dark about Godzilla for some reason I hadn't realized what the new 7.3 gas motor really was at first.

so in retro ….you are right it might be a tad on the large size for the Bronco but in any resto mod it would be great and like said it is a 6-bolt main for that durability to make it forced induction. BUILT FORD TOUGH.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok got "cha

I have not researched a lot about it and was in the dark about Godzilla for some reason I hadn't realized what the new 7.3 gas motor really was at first.

so in retro ….you are right it might be a tad on the large size for the Bronco but in any resto mod it would be great and like said it is a 6-bolt main for that durability to make it forced induction. BUILT FORD TOUGH.
I really think it would be badass to throw that engine into an old Galaxie or Torino or something like that. Not exactly fit for a Mustang or a Bronco, but would be awesome for a real muscle car!
Sponsored