Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Edge Sport 2.7L in the garage, same issue with the tiny fuel tank. I have no idea why Ford loves tiny fuel tanks. MPG ranges from 18 to 29 depending on your driving. ?
My theory on the tiny fuel tanks is weight. Larger tanks hold more fuel, therefore heavier, therefore less gas mileage. They look everywhere to try and shave off a few pounds thanks to the EPA.
Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
THAT'S the kind of analysis I like!
Well I had wondered about this exact thing, the fact that an automatic sucks more power than a manual tranny, and given I wanted a manual, it made me feel a little better because I would have to give up the V6 to get the manual, but I just never dug into it.

Im feeling more confident in my choice now :)

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the 2.3L in my Ranger, there are a few issues here:

1. HP / Torque curves always have peaks in any gas engine (naturally aspirated or turbocharged/supercharged). The peaks are not ever near the bottom of the RPM curve.

2. This is especially true for a turbocharged 4 cylinder (and even 6 cylinder). Torque at low RPMs is low because the turbochargers are not spooled up. Modern engine calibrations and auto transmissions try to disguise this “turbo lag.” Once the turbo is spinning you do get a rush of torque but a good calibration will keep it relatively flat through the rest of the rev range

3. If you’re driving below 2k RPM in any car you won’t have to worry about this because you’ll be going slow and sipping gas. My 5.0L Mustang is very sleepy and smooth at these RPMs. The 2.3L is no different. Unless you buy a Tesla you’re not going to hit a wall of torque when you first touch the gas pedal.

People say the Ecoboost is either “Eco” or “Boost” and my experience is this is true. For grannying around town it’s a very quiet and fuel efficient ride, but it has plenty of power when you need it.

I was tailing my husband (him in the Ranger, me in the Mustang) this morning as we were dropping the truck at a shop and he whipped it past a semi that cut us off, he boosted it _very quickly,_ it took me a lot longer to react with my manual transmission and by the time I did that Ranger was flying. It’s a surprisingly powerful engine.
Hmm...maybe I don't "need" the 2.7... But it felt really perky in the 150 I was a passenger in the other day. UGH, PERCEPTION YOU STINK!

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
DOH! I knew it. Too good to be true.

Ok so lets say 14% loss in the auto and average of 10-14 puts it at a 12% loss in the manual.

So, math comes out to.......

266.6 RWHP in V6 Auto
237.6 RWHP in 2.3L Manual

So 29 HP difference between the 4 banger and the V6.

29/237.6 = 12.2%

So the V6 auto gives you a 12% increase in real HP over the 2.3L Manual.
For a "true" A to A comparison, you should be comparing a 2.7L AT to a 2.3L AT. Just saying.... as your comparison is basically the same as someone comparing a NA Engine vs. a FI (forced induction) engine and saying that the smaller FI Engine is better. Put them both on the same playing field, both NA or FI.... or both AT or both MT.... how do they compare? Again.... Just Saying.... smh...

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hmm...maybe I don't "need" the 2.7... But it felt really perky in the 150 I was a passenger in the other day. UGH, PERCEPTION YOU STINK!
It’s the same perception everyone seems to be having problems with. It’s not THAT drastic of a difference. Added bonus is the manual trans. Additional power is cheap and easily installed.

Sponsored

MHand52

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

DOH! I knew it. Too good to be true.

Ok so lets say 14% loss in the auto and average of 10-14 puts it at a 12% loss in the manual.

So, math comes out to.......

266.6 RWHP in V6 Auto
237.6 RWHP in 2.3L Manual

So 29 HP difference between the 4 banger and the V6.

29/237.6 = 12.2%

So the V6 auto gives you a 12% increase in real HP over the 2.3L Manual.
I would say you have sound numbers there, that seems closer to reality.

I personally wouldn't be worried about a lack of power in the 2.3. The K&N post is a good example, although slightly misleading because you will not gain 18 "PEAK" horsepower, you gain a max of 18HP somewhere "under the curve". Peak gains are closer to 8 HP. However, with simply a tune, possibly changing the thermostat and plugs with your K&N filter, you're looking to surpass the stock 2.7 numbers with ease.

Don't be surprised to stomp all over 4Runners and Tacos in a 2 door 2.3. Turbo power is not the same as NA power, and the Ecoboosts bring on max torque early (2800RPM) which will get you out of the hole faster. The 2.7 is a monster and would be "nice to have", but I would debate more on the Auto vs Manual before I would say it needs to have a 2.7.

Ford Bronco **REAL rwhp** 2.7L vs 2.3L 1600359880550

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seeing dynos in videos online the 2.3 usually has around 245 rwhp and 275 rwtq stock and tuned 310 rwhp and 375 rwtq.

You can throw out that 18 to 20% estimate with this engine as it holds its power really good and close to the stock ratings. Also Its actually a Beast tuned.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s an extra .4L of displacement. Not insignificant but not game-changing either. I’m sure if you rode in a 2.3L you would perceive similar but slightly less exciting results.

Frankly I miss having a turbocharger in my daily driver. The Mustang is super powerful but you have to wring it out to reach its full power. That feeling of sudden torque from a turbo spooling up is addictive, and I can confirm that it definitely excites the senses even in the lowly 2.3L

For me it’s manual all the way and I’ll make up the HP difference with a 91 octane tune.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s the same perception everyone seems to be having problems with. It’s not THAT drastic of a difference. Added bonus is the manual trans. Additional power is cheap and easily installed.
And the bulk of the gains are where I would, comparing to how I drive now, would never get to and use (4K+ rpm).

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For a "true" A to A comparison, you should be comparing a 2.7L AT to a 2.3L AT. Just saying.... as your comparison is basically the same as someone comparing a NA Engine vs. a FI (forced induction) engine and saying that the smaller FI Engine is better. Put them both on the same playing field, both NA or FI.... or both AT or both MT.... how do they compare? Again.... Just Saying.... smh...
No, because that's not what we are trying to compare. Im not interested in a 4 cylinder Automatic. My options are 2.3 manual and 2.7 auto. Thats the point of this discussion. The OPs very first post is talking about power scavenging from an Automatic transmission and if you compare the V6 Auto to the 4 cyl manual, how much pure HP do you actually give up by going down 2 cylinders, considering you are taking the extra power loss from the Auto tranny out of the equation..

Last edited:

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, there is proof that say a tuned 2.3 is great. Wouldn't that mean though, that a turned 2.7 is greater-er?
Lol this.

I've tuned my last 3 turbo and supercharged cars. I will on the Bronco.

I don't need the 2.7....and tuned 2.3 is interesting (manual trans). but a tuned 2.7 on the 4 door is really appealing.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Again, I think you're missing the point of this discussion.
Stated what it is in an automatic, seems pretty relevant to " does anyone have any analysis of 2.7L/auto"
Sponsored