Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

They can modify the tune for tire size, but I will tell you that the Ford tune will be much more conservative than the aftermarket at a higher price. With aftermarket, you can also call back and have things changed like throttle sensitivity or shift pressures, or purchase more tunes. You will also own the tuning box and can make some changes yourself.
Correct - what you're getting with Ford's tune is that it doesn't void your warranty. Otherwise, there are "better" options out there (ones that get more power).
Sponsored

Grave Digger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grave Digger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Regarding out of Ford warranty tunes use caution. I have personally had Three new mustang top ends with aftermarket turbos blow on on the dyno by a private tuner. If you need to know names PM me and I'll be happy to disclose.
This is an exteme aftermarket example (turbo plus tune) however my recommendation would be to go with a Ford tune until your warranty expires. The above quoted 50hp/60tq tune is very reasonable and something I will do. The bottom ends are forged and built to be abused, trust me on this. You can tune it with race gas to put out 500HP but why do it unless you don't care about longevity.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it means they will only do it on a vehicle with that tire size, if it needs warranty work swap the smaller tires on.
Im wondering if they will even offer the Ford Performance Tune for the Bronco if tire size is an issue for them covering under warranty. The higher models have 33s or 35s(squatch) so will you only be able to run the tune on Base, BB, OB and BDs with 30-32 inch tires if it’s the same as the Ranger. I get that you could swap tires but if someone has a Squatch, they need extra tires to bring it in for service?

OP
OP
edgeflyer

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here is my comparison of 3 motors. 2.3 (blue), 2.7 (Red) and 2013 F150 5.0 V8 (Grey). I chose this V8 as it is the motor in my truck, but also represents a modern, very capable V8 of the same displacement as the old V8 Broncos.

For those not versed, what you are looking at are lines that represent "power". This comparison only compared torque. Horsepower is pretty invalid for what us 4 wheelers want to see and is plenty sufficient. All numbers were derived from stock motors on 87 unleaded, using the same dyno, different days, and likely years.... Aside from the discrepancies that this could possibly bring up, we are not going to go down that road. What I wanted to see and share with those interested are motor characteristics and generalized power traits.

The 5.0 - Solid torque from early in the revs (taking off at a light or hill), building smooth power, and a smooth taper off.

The 2.3 vs 5.0 - 2.3 starts with significantly lower power but matches the V8 at about 2750 rpm. This will affect takeoffs and hill climbs at slower RPM, but let's not forget than a typical F150 has a six-speed trans and 3:55 rear end. Squatch has a 7-speed manual or 10-speed auto with 4.70 rear end. That will likely offset the majority of felt power. Crawl gear will make it a non-issue.

The 2.7 - Man, do I need to explain? A V8 with much less power over 2000 rpm and over 100 lbs of weight sitting over my front axle? I will make a mixtape with a V8 rumble to play through my 2000 watt stereo.

Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 2020-08-03_17-49-20

OP
OP
edgeflyer

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Been talking with MPT as they are doing the tuning on my F150 Coyote. They are planning on tuning the Bronco too. They actually have at a few Bronco's reserved with employees. Nice to have a tuner with skin in the game. They are great guys to work with and make awesome safe tunes.

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is my comparison of 3 motors. 2.3 (blue), 2.7 (Red) and 2013 F150 5.0 V8 (Grey). I chose this V8 as it is the motor in my truck, but also represents a modern, very capable V8 of the same displacement as the old V8 Broncos.

For those not versed, what you are looking at are lines that represent "power". This comparison only compared torque. Horsepower is pretty invalid for what us 4 wheelers want to see and is plenty sufficient. All numbers were derived from stock motors on 87 unleaded, using the same dyno, different days, and likely years.... Aside from the discrepancies that this could possibly bring up, we are not going to go down that road. What I wanted to see and share with those interested are motor characteristics and generalized power traits.

The 5.0 - Solid torque from early in the revs (taking off at a light or hill), building smooth power, and a smooth taper off.

The 2.3 vs 5.0 - 2.3 starts with significantly lower power but matches the V8 at about 2750 rpm. This will affect takeoffs and hill climbs at slower RPM, but let's not forget than a typical F150 has a six-speed trans and 3:55 rear end. Squatch has a 7-speed manual or 10-speed auto with 4.70 rear end. That will likely offset the majority of felt power. Crawl gear will make it a non-issue.

The 2.7 - Man, do I need to explain? A V8 with much less power over 2000 rpm and over 100 lbs of weight sitting over my front axle? I will make a mixtape with a V8 rumble to play through my 2000 watt stereo.

Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 2020-08-03_17-49-20
Why handicap the EB motors with 87 octane.

Seems a more fair comparison would be manufacturer recommended fuel. All the EBs I've driven recommended the top shelf.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish we had 93 octane here in CA .. .the best we can get is 91... and it's garbage. I've got a tune on the 2.3 eco in my Mustang and I could get so much more out of it if I could use 93.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish we had 93 octane here in CA .. .the best we can get is 91... and it's garbage. I've got a tune on the 2.3 eco in my Mustang and I could get so much more out of it if I could use 93.
Same here in CO due to the altitude, all we have is 91 as the top octane at the gas stations.

OP
OP
edgeflyer

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Updated chart with 93 octane tunes represented as dashed lines. Cyber Orange = 2.7,
Grey = Stock 89 octane 5.0. Velocity Blue = 2.3.

Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 1600365625198

Sponsored

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Updated chart with 93 octane tunes represented as dashed lines. Cyber Orange = 2.7,
Grey = Stock 89 octane 5.0. Velocity Blue = 2.3.

Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 1600365625198
Bring a bucket and a mop, that some WAP!

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was curious what the 2 engines might feel like. Considering the 4 dr is somewhat similar in heft to my Crown Vic the power curves (stock) should be a reasonable facsimile. I hope the power curves for stock 2.3 and 2.7 help in some way/shape/form.

This thread is obviously not going to answer everyone's questions but it might give an idea.

P71 - Nothing has changed on this motor. The car isn't a race car but pulls ok from stop. Roll on at highway is uninspiring yet better than junk.
Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons CV Capture.PNG

2.3 - I'm thinking that the stock tune is the dotted line. In which case I would prefer that because the power is flat. I'm not a pro with this companies chart printouts.
Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons crp-19-ranger-vs-stk (1)

2.7 - This chart "suffers" from the same trend as the 2.3. I'll stick with the dotted line curve.
Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 2.7 turbo stage-2-vs-stock-93-octane

With the power put into pictures, for my seat of the pants dyno, would indicate that the "2.3 is plenty" and that a tune is not necessary. YMMV of course but here is a picture that might help each person get an idea of what the drivetrains may feel like.

Last edited:

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Ford Bronco 2.3L vs 2.7L power curves / dyno chart comparisons 2.7 turbo stage-2-vs-stock-93-octane
The red line looks like a considerable bump?

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was curious what the 2 engines might feel like. Considering the 4 dr is somewhat similar in heft to my Crown Vic the power curves (stock) should be a reasonable facsimile. I hope the power curves for stock 2.3 and 2.7 help in some way/shape/form.

This thread is obviously not going to answer everyone's questions but it might give an idea.

P71 - Nothing has changed on this motor. The car isn't a race car but pulls ok from stop. Roll on at highway is uninspiring yet better than junk.

2.3 - I'm thinking that the stock tune is the dotted line. In which case I would prefer that because the power is flat. I'm not a pro with this companies chart printouts.

2.7 - This chart "suffers" from the same trend as the 2.3. I'll stick with the dotted line curve.

With the power put into pictures, for my seat of the pants dyno, would indicate that the "2.3 is plenty" and that a tune is not necessary. YMMV of course but here is a picture that might help each person get an idea of what the drivetrains may feel like.
The dotted lines on the bottom 2 graphs are torque figures. Solid line is horsepower. The tuned figures outperform the factory numbers in every way.
Sponsored