Sponsored

[Unofficial] Production Bronco Renders based on Bronco R

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Has Ford ever built a vehicle with a swing gate? I can't think of one, but doesn't mean they haven't.
I agree though, tailgate is the only way to go here! Unless Ford really just wants a Jeep clone... I sure as hell DON'T!
Long time ago, could bring this back...........:)

Ford-tailgate-ad.png
Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
^^this. We have no evidence for whether it will be a swing gate or a tailgate. All we can do is hope for the best

really, I see absolutely no point in a swing gate. It provides no additional function and just makes it harder to open in certain areas. I really hope it doesn’t have a swing gate
The union docs that we saw a few months ago specifically mention construction of swinggates for the new Bronco.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The union docs that we saw a few months ago specifically mention construction of swinggates for the new Bronco.
Oh really? I didn’t see that part, I thought that just gave us ideas about aluminum construction

still though, perhaps they meant a swinging tire mount?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh really? I didn’t see that part, I thought that just gave us ideas about aluminum construction

still though, perhaps they meant a swinging tire mount?
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/3rd-5th-door.735/post-13582

Michigan assembly will be constructing "Hoods and Swinggates" for the Bronco according to the doc Stampede shared.

Not conclusive, certainly, but I'm inclined to believe that we'll be seeing an ecosport/defender style swinggate.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^^this. We have no evidence for whether it will be a swing gate or a tailgate. All we can do is hope for the best

really, I see absolutely no point in a swing gate. It provides no additional function and just makes it harder to open in certain areas. I really hope it doesn’t have a swing gate
I'd be interested to see how they make a tailgate with the tire mounted on the back. It would be awfully heavy to try and swing back upright after lowering it. Not to mention I'd assume the tire lip would extend out past the tailgate body meaning you'd be working around that as well.

Also, having been an owner of multiple Jeeps and pickup trucks I can say that a swing gate makes it much easier to access stuff in the truck/bed.

Sponsored

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, Stampede was all over this. The way it's written it lines up with Ford's definition of what the Ecosport has. Not saying it will be EXACTLY like the Ecosport. But will likely function in the same way.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be interested to see how they make a tailgate with the tire mounted on the back. It would be awfully heavy to try and swing back upright after lowering it. Not to mention I'd assume the tire lip would extend out past the tailgate body meaning you'd be working around that as well.

Also, having been an owner of multiple Jeeps and pickup trucks I can say that a swing gate makes it much easier to access stuff in the truck/bed.
Having only had Japanese SUVs with swinggates previously, but a pickup truck before that, I quite like the swinggate. It's quick and easy to get stuff in and out and there's only one thing to open (rather than swinging a tire out of the way and then a gate down)

Last edited:

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could be similar to my old S10 Blazer. The spare tire was on it's own arm, which you swung open first. Then you could put down the tailgate.
Yeah, I thought about this too. The only issue with that is aren't you defeating the purpose of a tailgate at that point? (To avoid having to swing something open that requires additional depth?)

Sponsored

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here's one more, as much of a test as it is a render. With the reveal of the new mule I'll admit I've been anxious about the Bronco's size, for me to consider buying it, it'd have to pass the 'couch test', that is that it could potentially drive a couch across town, being the single largest piece of furniture most people own that can't be disassembled. So I modeled up a proportionally accurate three cushion and it looks like with the tailgate down, God willing it has one, you'll have no problem fitting just about anything in the back if the rear seats are removable. This is good news for me because a two door Bronco may well be the largest vehicle I own in a few years and I don't fancy having to rent a U-Haul or beg a pickup owning friend at the behest of moving a single possession. It's all still theoretical, but it puts my mind at ease.

View attachment 2256

Could be similar to my old S10 Blazer. The spare tire was on it's own arm, which you swung open first. Then you could put down the tailgate.
That's also how all Broncos have been to date. I'd be disappointed if it doesn't have a traditional tailgate.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's also how all Broncos have been to date. I'd be disappointed if it doesn't have a traditional tailgate.
Me too, but there are plenty of indications that the spare will be exterior mounted and there doesn't appear to be any additional space or external mechanism to carry the load like the old ones.

That translates to a door mounted spare, and for reasons others explained above that big heavy spare is going to be a giant nuisance if you're folding that gate down instead of to the side.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Me too, but there are plenty of indications that the spare will be exterior mounted and there doesn't appear to be any additional space or external mechanism to carry the load like the old ones.

That translates to a door mounted spare, and for reasons others explained above that big heavy spare is going to be a giant nuisance if you're folding that gate down instead of to the side.
If that's the case I'm hoping the aftermarket will come in and deliver. I know with Jeeps you can convert to a drop down tailgate and get a spare mount coming off of the bumper.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well dang, that’s a shame. Guess I’ll be counting on the aftermarket. I prefer to back into my garage, and considering I’ll be keeping the motorcycle behind the Bronco, I won’t have any spare room to open a swing gate. Hopefully the aftermarket can provide an offset swinging spare tire mount and a traditional tailgate
Sponsored