Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

this thread makes me so tempted to get the manual, but this will be my daily driver and I have heard people get annoyed with 6 speed and shifting.
Does the extra gear really add that much more shifting? I'm hardly stuck in traffic anymore on my way to work so I don't think it would be that big of an issue.
I've only driven 5 speeds, and the 2013 Jetta i had was basically stall proof I don't think I ever stalled it even sitting on a steep hill. Now my 1994 I was always searching for gears especially by the time I got rid of it in 2013, but I loved that little zippy car and kid of want to go back to a manual.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this thread makes me so tempted to get the manual, but this will be my daily driver and I have heard people get annoyed with 6 speed and shifting.
Does the extra gear really add that much more shifting? I'm hardly stuck in traffic anymore on my way to work so I don't think it would be that big of an issue.
I've only driven 5 speeds, and the 2013 Jetta i had was basically stall proof I don't think I ever stalled it even sitting on a steep hill. Now my 1994 I was always searching for gears especially by the time I got rid of it in 2013, but I loved that little zippy car and kid of want to go back to a manual.

I've driven manuals all my life in every type situation. I shift without even realizing I'm doing it. I know some people don't like manuals in traffic and other circumstances, but I just don't mind. I honestly doubt I use the 6th gear that much anyway.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it depends on your terrain. Driving around In sand in Baja, we used to drive rear wheel drive Volkswagens and it was a blast. Just had to keep your momentum going. My old bronco with 3 on the tree handled rocks and hills well because you could stay in first gear for most of what you needed to do off-road.

Really miss the 3 on the tree. Only used it in 2 vehicles, 79 Chevy truck and 56 Chevy 2dr, but really loved it. First real date I went on was in the truck. The linkage froze up at a stop light. Luckily, I kept an axe handle behind the seat for just such an occasion. I don't think she was that impressed as there wasn't a second date.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just don't ride the clutch or you will have a funky smell... and need a new clutch.
no need to ride the clutch with gearing this low

Kludge

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not sure if this is an article that provides much relevant information but I do appreciate the concern. Of course lexus doesn't support 3rd party add ons but the article is related to automatics unless im missing something. Seems like a different issue.
I'm not sure if this is an article that provides much relevant information but I do appreciate the concern. Of course lexus doesn't support 3rd party add ons but the article is related to automatics unless im missing something. Seems like a different issue.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every manual vehicle has to have a clutch interlock switch that blocks the starter from engaging unless the clutch is depressed, it would be no great problem to add a momentary contact switch to over ride this when needed. I used to start my old truck in granny gear on hills, wouldn't need an after market option, Amazon and 10 minutes work would do it. We used to 'bump to start' a vehicle with a low or near dead battery all the time, can't do that with new vehicles.
My Toyota pickup came with a interlock override switch from the factory. I don't know about the new jeeps but older ones you could start in gear.
I read the new bronco will let you start in the crawler gear.
No car would come with this, but it is not uncommon in off-road trucks.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Theres one reason I prefer automatic over manual when rock crawling. In an automatic I can teater on the edge and slowly release the break and quickly reapply it to my dedired speed. In a manual I have to simultaniously release the clutch and apply acceleration without being able to break while teater on the edge. Maybe the rock crawl gear will combat this, but I would rather just go with the ease of the automatic. Is the manual a lot more fun outside of rock crawling? Oh hell yes.

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly it’s easier to drive a truck with low gears than something like an 80’s Honda Civic which you need to rev like crazy to get moving. With the gobs of torque the 2.3L puts out at low revs we probably won’t need to be in exactly the right gear for the situation. Maybe we’ll be able to be lazy and skip gears.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah, okay. So I didn't read that article all the way through, but you get the point.

I just couldn't find that 2006 picture of some schmuck's CTS-V that he remote-started into the bay windows of a tire store. He could not get over the fact that it was his fault, and not the store's.

Owner's manuals and state guidelines instruct to park a manual transmission in gear (forward, first, reverse, etc.) - never leave it in neutral even with parking brake.

Edit: found that CTS-V crash referenced in a GTO thread.
https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/remote-start-6-speed.416334/

Last edited:

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone annoyed by shifting an extra gear probably voted for Hilary. I'd mansplain that 6+1 is badass, and that it's covered in chapter 3 of the man card handbook.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gman90

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
My daily’s have always been manuals, and no an extra gear doesn’t change a thing, you won’t really use 6th gear in the city. I once told my wife when she first got her manual car that after a month you’ll barely notice you’re driving stick, and after half a year it’s second nature and you never think about it again. I’ve just never driven anything manual off road, no idea how it’ll feel or how to start from a dirt hill, that’s why I started the thread to hear from people who have. On road I don’t ever notice I’m driving a manual, I do notice I get bored when driving an auto long distance though.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife had a GTO and still have my G8 GXP. 6 gears is not a problem. You choose the gears you need - you can skip a gear if necessary.

Anyway those Tremecs were a double overdrive. so it was always four gears - 5th and 6th are the icing on the cake. If you are driving up there in downtown traffic, you are either speeding, or lugging your engine.

As for the gas guzzler skip shift on those cars, it was easily bypassed with a resistor setup.

Hobgoblin

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Touareg, ‘10 Jetta, ‘07 Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be great if they started to put out some videos demonstrating some of the capability that this new set up will be able to do from a driver’s perspective. Starting in gear would be great.

I am curious about how it will handle traffic with the crawler gear. Love driving a manual but want to make sure I don’t regret it as this will be my daily driver.

The manual 2.3 vs. auto 2.7 is the one decision that I keeps me flip flopping. I am going to try and go to Super Celebration East and hope to learn more there.

OP
OP
Gman90

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I can add more input on driving in traffic or the city. In horrible Los Angelas traffic, or a bad day when it’ll take you an hour just to move 10miles, I don’t notice it. Driving a 500rwhp car with a performance clutch which is a little stiff I might start feeling my leg get sore after an hour or two. Driving my wife’s 2017 civic SI with that butter smooth clutch there is no way I’m feeling it in my legs. I’d imagine the bronco also has a pretty soft clutch. My older mustangs are cable clutch and even those you got used to. You might feel it being new to a daily but honestly give it 6 months and you won’t go back to auto or regret it. If my wife can do it daily with no leg pains or annoyance I’d like to imagine we all could ?
Sponsored