Sponsored

6th Gen Bronco to Succeed where the Hummer h3 Failed.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on why the 6th Generation Bronco will succeed compared to the failures of the Hummer h3
Sponsored

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not from the H3 era, being I was only 14 when it came out. But my god it’s ugly. Compared to the newly released 4dr Jeep in that period it just missed every mark to me. What was it competing with? There was no way that thing was seriously off roading... I think? Not then and not now have I seen one of those not on 24’s with chrome and ragged out. Plus gas prices being near $5 a gallon in California when I was in high school just killed that H3. My conclusion is, it was ugly, not practical, expensive, and even now I don’t take it seriously. The H1 though ? I still want one of those.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Hummer to me was a niche vehicle whose claim to fame was the bigger the better. It was never marketed, intended or believed to be a competitor to off road mainstays like the wrangler, etc. Just a unique commercial application-of limited value-of a military vehicle. Obviously the original utilitarian military vehicle, the jeep (including those produced during the war by Ford), was far more versatile. The same could not be said of the Hummer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
The Hummer to me was a niche vehicle whose claim to fame was the bigger the better. It was never marketed, intended or believed to be a competitor to off road mainstays like the wrangler, etc. Just a unique commercial application-of limited value-of a military vehicle. Obviously the original utilitarian military vehicle, the jeep (including those produced during the war by Ford), was far more versatile. The same could not be said of the Hummer.
But what about the smaller, supposedly more nimble and capable Hummer h3?

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hmmm....Lots of stuff posted by folks who probably never owned any iteration of the Hummers.
I had a lifted H3 with 37s. very capable off road.
Had an H2..Did surprisingly well off-road.
Had 2 different lifted H1s with 40s.
Wranglers and broncos is kids stuff compared to those 2.

The H3 didnt actually fail.
When GM restructured they had 3 vehicles they were actually selling. The Corvette, the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, and the H3.
GM in all its wisdom yanked all of them except of course the Corvette.
The H3s were good sellers. Resale is crazy even still on all the Hummer products.
The H2 sank like a rock along with all the other big SUVs at that time because oil was over 100 bucks a barrel.

Edit...My H3 might have had 35s...Honestly dont remember.

Last edited:

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But what about the smaller, supposedly more nimble and capable Hummer h3?
This is where I have limitations regarding knowledge of the latter models of the Hummer. Although I think the smaller model reflected an effort to expand on the brand to offer more versatility, I do not recall any Hummers gaining broad-based cred for spanning the gap between being a genuine off-roader and all around recreational/ family use vehicle. Now that being said, I wouldn't bet against any brand or model now days. Heck, we may see a 392 jeep before you know it and if the Hummer is returning, I will be interested in seeing what they do with it, especially if it is fully or partially electrified. Fortunately for us consumers, everything seems to go now days!

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve worked on a few H3’s and H2’s, maybe I’m just jaded because when I get them they are tore up, neglected, and full of problems. I’m not a fan of the interior, hate how hard it is to see out of, the exterior looks alright, especially lifted. It’s just not my taste. I’m too close to LA, all I ever see is the pic I’m about to post. This is an H3 to me
Ford Bronco 6th Gen Bronco to Succeed where the Hummer h3 Failed. 6999CC50-1C6F-4862-A07F-5460461DE192

Sponsored
OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm....Lots of stuff posted by folks who probably never owned any iteration of the Hummers.
I had a lifted H3 with 37s. very capable off road.
Had an H2..Did surprisingly well off-road.
Had 2 different lifted H1s with 40s.
Wranglers and broncos is kids stuff compared to those 2.

The H3 didnt actually fail.
When GM restructured they had 3 vehicles they were actually selling. The Corvette, the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, and the H3.
GM in all its wisdom yanked all of them except of course the Corvette.
The H3s were good sellers. Resale is crazy even still on all the Hummer products.
The H2 sank like a rock along with all the other big SUVs at that time because oil was over 100 bucks a barrel.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your opinion. But in the last year of the Hummer h3 & h3T's 5 year run. Total sales were 7,533 units. Down from the sales high of 54,052 in the 2nd year -2006. Why do you think sales dropped off so much?

OP
OP
Chief1301

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is where I have limitations regarding knowledge of the latter models of the Hummer. Although I think the smaller model reflected an effort to expand on the brand to offer more versatility, I do not recall any Hummers gaining broad-based cred for spanning the gap between being a genuine off-roader and all around recreational/ family use vehicle. Now that being said, I wouldn't bet against any brand or model now days. Heck, we may see a 392 jeep before you know it and if the Hummer is returning, I will be interested in seeing what they do with it, especially if it is fully or partially electrified. Fortunately for us consumers, everything seems to go now days!
I agree ?. It'll be very interesting to see what the other Manufacturers do, since the Bronco has created such a Buzz. Competition is a wonderful thing for consumers!

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for your input. I appreciate your opinion. But in the last year of the Hummer h3 & h3T's 5 year run. Total sales were 7,533 units. Down from the sales high of 54,052 in the 2nd year -2006. Why do you think sales dropped off so much?
Gas. Protesting gas Hogs. Arnold... SUV boom.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oil was over 100 dollars a barrel.
The SUV market was dead.

Not sure about those figures but Ill take your word for it. Im betting shortened production year for one, and you couldnt get your hands on an H3T, especially the Alpha.
Sponsored